Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Reading this article it will help us all to understand how we should be using this phone. It will also help us explain to everyone how the palm pre is faster than the iphone when it comes to everyday tasks performed on our smartphones

Articles | PalmNewsDaily.com
    Last edited by dm7864; 02/22/2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added article
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    What if i don't want to leave cards open?
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    i hate leaving cards open!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcub View Post
    What if i don't want to leave cards open?
    Then you're missing out on one of the principle advantages of webOS for no apparent purpose.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    But that is how the webos is designed to multitask. I don't see any and I mean any slow down leaving IM,Email,Cal,Contacts open even web doesn't slow it down. I tap all four icons on the main screen right away 4 clicks in about 3 seconds then they launch in the background. If anyone has tried the android or iphone you must agree the best way to run smartphones is to switch not stop between apps. The Palm lets you see whats running not task master or worse having to close apps to open another.
    That is a cool article. Thanks
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Then you're missing out on one of the principle advantages of webOS for no apparent purpose.
    Oh please.. the point of being able to multitask and use card view isn't to make up for a slow responding OS.. It's to allow you to perform multiple tasks at once. That's something I do everyday, almost every time I use my Pre.. When I'm done handling the multiple tasks, the cards get closed. I put the phone to sleep until the next series of tasks is needed to be performed.

Sure you can leave cards open just to save yourself a few seconds of wait time while they open.. but I assure you, this is not the intent of cards.

If you're dissatisfied with the speed of the phone, do something about it. I did. I'm running at 600MHz with no issues and I have no complaints of lag. If running the CPU at a higher clock speed isn't your thing and you're not satisfied with the speed of the device, this phone just isn't for you.
    In the case of the first scenario, here's what would really happen...
    Yes, Pandora to Messaging would be fast, but then loading email would be sluggish, and then it would take about 5secs before Calendar launches, and then 5 more seconds to launch the "add new appointment" screen. That's if I launch each app when needed. If I keep them open all day long as in the article, every single step would take about 5secs. And thank god webOS 1.0.1 was long gone, or you'd get the "sorry, too many card" thing half way through.

Maybe I did too many patches and tweaks? Maybe not, the horrible memory leak started showing up after I deleted my Palm profile and doctored. All I know is that this is exactly why we need the Preset-Reset app. Reminds me of one of the reasons why I hated Windows Mobile 5, but now webOS seems just as bad.

Palm still has a long way to go before webOS can surpass the legendary gold standard of PalmOS 5. But I hope the memory leaks would at least be fixed in update 1.4
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    After the "lag problem" the second biggest compliant about WebOS is the "too many Apps open" message. Although I love the cards multi-tasking interaction mode Palm has not solved the multi-tasking problem until you can reliably keep a bunch of apps open at the same time.
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    the most annoying thing is that you cannot leave a card open and get to the "desktop". maybe I just want to minimize an internet page or smth... but that's acceptable. By the way... is there any way to get rid of the alarm notification without cancelling the alarm itself? It takes ~5% of the screen ***?!
    very good article and explains the webos in lehmans terms which is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by neodoru View Post
    the most annoying thing is that you cannot leave a card open and get to the "desktop". maybe I just want to minimize an internet page or smth... but that's acceptable. By the way... is there any way to get rid of the alarm notification without cancelling the alarm itself? It takes ~5% of the screen ***?!
    swipe it away.
    Oh please.. the point of being able to multitask and use card view isn't to make up for a slow responding OS.. It's to allow you to perform multiple tasks at once. That's something I do everyday, almost every time I use my Pre.. When I'm done handling the multiple tasks, the cards get closed. I put the phone to sleep until the next series of tasks is needed to be performed.

Sure you can leave cards open just to save yourself a few seconds of wait time while they open.. but I assure you, this is not the intent of cards.
    Oh please.. the point of being able to multitask and use windows isn't to make up for a slow responding OS.. It's to allow you to perform multiple tasks at once. That's something I do everyday, almost every time I use my computer.. When I'm done handling the multiple tasks, the windows get closed. I put the computer to sleep until the next series of tasks is needed to be performed.

Sure you can leave windows open just to save yourself a few seconds of wait time while they open.. but I assure you, this is not the intent of windows.

There - fixed that for ya...
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    How is that supposed to be funny?
    I agree with the article, the whole point of multi-tasking is to keep the most used apps open so you can have a fast access to them. Same thing when you use ur computer, you don't close outlook after reading an email, you keep it open. The second scenario is what Palm needs to create a connercial from.
    I had to get some art to a printer today, and our internet at work was down. As my Art director was fiddling with his iphone trying to figure out how to send a illustrator file, I went to my computer hooked up my Pre Plus as a usb dropped the file in and sent it out. The printer responded literally withing a minute. Walked into My art directors office and bragged that my Palm Plus had done the job. Then I walked away laughing singing "Your iphone sucks". hahah.

Thanks Pre.. Your the best

If you're dissatisfied with the speed of the phone, do something about it. I did. I'm running at 600MHz with no issues and I have no complaints of lag. If running the CPU at a higher clock speed isn't your thing and you're not satisfied with the speed of the device, this phone just isn't for you.
    Why close all the cards if you don't need to? Does your phone have an adverse effect if you leave them open?
    recently leaving cards open, the browser especially will cause all sorts of memory leaks
    Quote Originally Posted by htabbach View Post
    I agree with the article, the whole point of multi-tasking is to keep the most used apps open so you can have a fast access to them. Same thing when you use ur computer, you don't close outlook after reading an email, you keep it open. The second scenario is what Palm needs to create a connercial from.
    Your computer doesn't have a wee little battery.. totally different experiences buddy.

Leaving cards open drains the battery faster. I could use cards to create a widget android or windows 7 phone experience but to great sacrifice of the battery.

Leave your cards open you'll see HAHAhaha!

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    swipe it away.
    Thanks a lot man! I was afraid that it might be disabled if I swipe it!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast