1.    #1  
    I feel like this has been happening for some time now but it didn't bother me until now. I am trying to put music on my phone but when I connect it to my laptop, it just charges and doesn't display the "Just Charge;" "USB Mode;" or "Media Sync" options. The icon that used to sit at the bottom right corner is now absent. My laptop doesn't even acknowledge that anything is hooked up ro my USB port. WOSQI consequently doesn't recognize it either.

it gave me the option to put it in to USB mode the other day briefly... But it appears it only does that when it wants to. Does anyone know if this is a Pre issue or a computer issue? Any light that can be shed will be greatly appreciated. Also, when I do plug my phone in to a wall outlet or USB port... It doesn't start charging until my screen turns on. Never used to do that.

Thanks for any help.
    go ahead and go to your control panel on the PC and go to your hardware and make sure your USB ports are all running properly. disconnect the pre and usb cable from the PC reboot both and give it a try... see if that helps at all =) iffff it still dosnt see if the pre is considered an pice of external hardware and you can eject it if so right click the pre and see properties make sure the novacom and palm utilities are running properly =)

hope this helps a tad man!
    unplug usb cable from pc and from palm pre wait 10 sec replug cable to computer and then replug cable to pre and it should work.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I was having this problem for several days. I tried rebooting the computer, reloading novacom, etc. etc. and no matter what, I got a USB device not recognized error. Finally found a suggestion online to shut the computer down, disconnect the power (including battery if a laptop). Let it sit for about a minute, then plug back in and fire it up. Somehow that fixed my problem and haven't had it since. Maybe it will work for you.
    Have you tried a different usb cord? The Palm usb cord is not known for it's durability.
  6.    #6  
    Thank you to all, I just got home and will try all of these suggestions... Be back with results soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by boston_ant View Post
    Thank you to all, I just got home and will try all of these suggestions... Be back with results soon.
    sheeeessh finally, we were beginning to think you were ignoring all our crazy informative tips

just playin... i hope one of these gets the job done! =)
    dude. its the cord. i know it. had the same problem. used my brothers moment cord. works fine and charges faster.
    try plugging it directly into your pc, and not into a usb hub.
  10.    #10  
    I tried everything and nothing worked at first. But about an hour later, USB Mode magically appeared as an option. Right as I was finishing copying files, it turned on me and disconnected itself. It sounds like it is a cord issue. Any recommendations for a quality replacement?
    you can find these cords for relatively cheap if you google for it. I think I found one at one time for something like $5. I wouldn't go with another type of usb cable unless it's from Palm because the USB connector is a bit more extended on the palm cable, which will insert properly into the phone.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    you can find these cords for relatively cheap if you google for it. I think I found one at one time for something like $5. I wouldn't go with another type of usb cable unless it's from Palm because the USB connector is a bit more extended on the palm cable, which will insert properly into the phone.
    thanks
  13.    #13  
    If anyone is still interested, it was the cord. I went to Sprint today and they swapped out my cord on the spot for free. I got home and its working fine now. Thanks to all for the insight... Hopes this helps anyone having similar issues in the future.
    I have a cord that works on all my computers except my new laptop. I am going to try some tips in here but I have my doubts it will fix the problem.

Oh and I've tried DH's cord and my spare cord.
    Ok it worked by moving it to the USB that I usually have my Broadband Card in. Now I can either use my Broadband card and the touchpad or I can use my wireless mouse and no internet. Uggggggg I hate the touchpad.