Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    a
    Last edited by MarcusJac; 02/22/2010 at 07:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusJac View Post
    I have been waiting for over a week for palm engineering to recover my data from their network. It was "lost" when I was transitioning to my third palm pre replacement.

This is 15yrs of contacts that I transferred originally from my treo to their "cloud".
    So, are you saying that you don't have your own backup of those 15 years of contacts?

I use Gmail for my contacts and haven't had a problem since Gmail came out.
    WoW....

This is not new news m8, and you can sync your contacts with your email clients like Gmail, Yahoo & MS. Exchange.
    Why wouldnt you have a backup after fifteen years? Jeez.
    Multiple backup is the standard. At minumim have 2 but you should have 3. The device, the cloud, and an off-cloud (or alternate cloud location). If one fails, you still have the other 2. Google is an obvious choice because you have access the data without the need of "Palm Techs" and you can sync it to your desktop.

Do you not have your Treo anymore? Or the other 15 years worth of phones/PDAs?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    So, on his third Pre and he's never posted here before. And no backup anywhere? In addition to all the other methods listed, I have everything on Outlook and it syncs just fine to GMail and my Pre (with the help of CompanionLink).
    I think that the previous post is probably right.
    Troll.
    -----------------
    "of course I have my treo back up but we take this crap from a company that should have a better way to handle this situation."
    There shouldn't be a situation if there is a backup. Just load/sync your 15 years of contacts back in & call Palm and apologize for giving them a hassle that didn't need to happen.
    Last edited by Trident; 02/22/2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Troll replied
    I wanted to warn everybody about trusting palm and their "cloud network" I have been waiting for over a week for palm engineering to recover my data from their network. It was "lost" when I was transitioning to my third palm pre replacement. I have been through three levels of support and spent 2-3 hours on the phone with them trying to recover my contact data info. The only answer they can give is "the data recover tool is not available". This is 15yrs of contacts that I transferred originally from my treo to their "cloud". I would not recommend anybody buy the pre until they allow access to your profile through other means than just the phone. Good luck
    15 years. 15 years! and the 15th year with no backup you lost all of this?

/me being a dork

on a serious note (like others have mentioned), dude... c'mon... seriously? you didn't backup your data? why? who is really at fault?

edit: saw your follow-up post.

why waste both of your time and palm's engineers time and just restore your backup?
    Last edited by OmegaSupreme; 02/22/2010 at 07:10 PM.
    I know I shouldn't feed you...jk.... but Palm is a microscopic company of only like 1000 people. Just the fact that that they made a new OS is amazing. But then you take in that they built the best and most modern Mobile OS out there is.... for cry'n out loud! PALM IS AWESOME and I owe them more that what I payed for the Pre.

EDIT: 939 employees to be exact...
    - John Wayne
    Those who solely rely on others to backup important data are simple silly. None of my personal data is even on the Palm Cloud....i kinda trust the google cloud more for reliability and I back up my contacts to my computer on Microsoft Mail and my computer is backedup by my external HDD.

3 sources of backup. And thats not including Google's redundant backup servers i'm sure.

And all i have is personal contacts and calender stuff.
    Hey no offense but the point seems to be your mismanagement. Having several backups of what is clearly a very covetted contact list would be prioority to me if it meant so much

Ah well.

Empty pockets leave room for new treasures.
    I just want to know when did it become the responsibility of palm to backup your contacts? Should I yell at Microsoft when my hard drive crashes and I didn't make a backup? It's your device and your data. Be responsible for your own backup.
    Not just a troll, but a stupid one! Funny, he is saying "Hey, look at me, I am an ***** who doesn't have any redundancy" So because he is stupid no one should buy a Pre! WTFever!
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    You guys are missing the point; of course I have my treo back up but we take this crap from a company that should have a better way to handle this situation. They want you to transition from a desktop version database to their network. You then do that but when there is a problem you can't access your information and you can only hope that engineering is truly trying to find a solution. Or allow a way to dump your database into a spreadsheet and email it to you. They won't even give me a timeline when they will be able to recover the data.
    Yet, you said that you spent HOURS trying to get back what you already have? That is a LONG time to waste just to prove a point or to "test" Palm's ability to recover your data.

I can see you calling and asking ONCE. After that, I'd just get the info from my other backup and move on. I can even see sending an email to Palm and 'complaining' about the experience.

However, it seems you went through multiple levels of support and 3 hours of your valuable (presumed) time. WOW!

No offense meant, but that seems odd.

Then, you suggest that no one buy a Pre based upon this one unnecessary data recovery exercise. At the risk of being redundant: WOW!
    Really, no secondary backup?

Now that you've lost your contact info, it might be a good idea to have a secondary backup of your data (Google or Outlook).
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    well trolls are known for their I.Q. levels being high...
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Really, no secondary backup?

Now that you've lost your contact info, it might be a good idea to have a secondary backup of your data (Google or Outlook).
    The good news is, since he lost everything, his secondary backup at this point can be a single Post-It note!

- John Wayne
    OP

If you haven't already figured it out, the issue is related to the os verison. I had this happen. My fix was to log out of my profile on the replacement pre, webos doctor it to the webos version i was on before replacing and once its updated log back into the pre using the correct profile. This worked for me. If you log into the Pre using your profile from webos 1.1 your back up from 1.3.5 won't work.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    One of the unsung features of CompanionLink is that it automatically backs up Palm Desktop files, even for the demo version, every time you sync.

It comes from the days we were paranoid back in the PalmPilot days. We still do it 14 years later. Making a copy of such small files adds less than a second to the sync time. If you ever want to look, go find your Palm Desktop data files, and look for files labeled ***.orig <- your file before you used CompanionLink, and ***.001 <- your file as of the LAST sync time. The exact location and file type differs depending on your Palm Desktop version, since CompanionLink handles all Palm Desktop versions.

So just in case you did a free trial of CompanionLink, or know anyone who tried it, remember to double check if there was an automatic backup made that you can go back to. For help reverting to a backup, I suggest calling CompanionLink's technical support, which is free, and they will help you restore the data.

I hope this information helps someone someday. It's an awful feeling to think your data is gone, even when it isn't.

Wayland Bruns, CTO
    CompanionLink Software, Inc.
    www.companionlink.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast