Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    I am really hoping someone can clear up the whole audio book thing on many levels for me.

1. Can I listen to audio books on my Pre?

2. If not how do most people do it?

3. Can you do it on an Ipod or/and Iphone?

4. Can you buy and dl audiobooks directly via your Pre?

Ty
    i listen to them in mp3 format.
    Search.....

There are threads about Audible.com and Music Player Remix (bookmarking).

Audible is "supposed" to be coming out with an app according to their website.
    If you're lucky/sneaky enough to have them in MP3 or open AAC format then that's great. You can install the Music Player Remix homebrew application to ensure that you don't lose your place in the audiobook because you can bookmark your progress.

If it's a DRM audiobook (for example from Audible.com) then you are out of luck at the moment - we are hoping Audible will release an application that will let you play their books in the coming months.

That answers 1 & 2.

3) Yes, you can, straight out of the box.

4) Not currently, but hopefully soon.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    If you're lucky/sneaky enough to have them in MP3 or open AAC format then that's great. You can install the Music Player Remix homebrew application to ensure that you don't lose your place in the audiobook because you can bookmark your progress.

If it's a DRM audiobook (for example from Audible.com) then you are out of luck at the moment - we are hoping Audible will release an application that will let you play their books in the coming months.

That answers 1 & 2.

3) Yes, you can, straight out of the box.

4) Not currently, but hopefully soon.
    Thanks a lot. How/Where can I get them in MP3 format?
    Glad to help

They're pretty rare in MP3 format. The best place that I know of is emusic.com - the second best place is your local CD store. Buy the audiobook on CD & then rip it to your computer using software like iTunes.

For free audiobooks, try Librivox.org - they're not as high quality or professionally read, but there's lots of free content there.

Try emusic first in any case
    Good luck
    Actually my local library also has audio books in MP3 format. That's what I use.
    Quote Originally Posted by waddle View Post
    Thanks a lot. How/Where can I get them in MP3 format?
    Just download a program called Sound Taxi and you can convert your Audible Audio files into Mp3's
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Just download a program called Sound Taxi and you can convert your Audible Audio files into Mp3's
    Or you could burn the audio book to CD using Audible Manager, and then rip the CD to MP3. A pain, but it works and doesn't cost extra.
    Another source for free audiobooks is podiobooks.com. Books that are "in progress" are being released in serial form, generally a chapter a week. You can download all of the chapters up to the current point. Books that are "Complete" have finished their serial run and you can download all of the chapters, which is what I generally do. Most of the books on podiobooks are read by their authors.

I'll have to give Librivox a try, thanks errade.