Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Sachin Agarwal posted a pretty blunt critique of the Pre Plus on Business Insider today. I don't have a Pre Plus, but much of what he says applies to the Pre family in general.

I have to say that anyone using a phone with a brand new OS might be more patient, but it's hard to disagree with some of the points he makes.
    "Yes, yes, I know that, Sidney....everybody knows that!
    But look: four wrongs squared minus two wrongs to the fourth power, divided by this formula, do make a right."

-- "The Far Side", by Gary Larsen
    No link?
    Really? I thought it was weak, maybe it's just me. I liked @vara411's response. If anyone is interested, the article is here:

Was he really complaining about the touch screen? Seriously? Copy and Paste? The apps? Really? That IM is connected with text messaging? I think I've read weighter arguments on this forum.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Why I Dumped My Palm Pre Plus After A Month

Different strokes for different folks.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Here's the link OP can't post because he has less than 10 posts. The reviewer is an ***** anyway... if you've ever read any of his previous articles, you would understand. EVERYTHING he writes is negative against the product being reviewed. He is a ****** and only reviews products after he has already decided what to slam them on. If you read his review of the Pre, it's like someone with ADD played with the device for an hour until they saw a rabbit run past and lost attention. Anything this guy says can be taken with a grain of salt.

EDIT: I wasn't as fast on the draw posting the link
    I pretty much ignored this article after reading this:

"wasn't worth the additional cost over the dumbphone I had"

...sigh. I have a hard time respecting the review of a smart phone by someone who prefers a dumb phone. While I agree that the Pre has some glaring issues it sounds like this author prefers an extremely dumbed down experience. Which is likely why he prefers his dumb phone and apparently the iPhone as well.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Heh heh looks like plenty of links available now Shortened down....here's why he's dumping his Pre Plus from Verizon:

"The touchscreen is atrocious."

I whole heartedly disagree, I have seen many complaints about this device, this is certainly not one of them.

"The battery life is atrocious."

Ok, this can definitely stand some improvement, but certainly not a dealbreaker

"The GPS is atrocious."

I once again whole heartedly disagree, I have found navigation to work perfectly fine, I also never see complaints here in that area either

"Having text messaging and instant messenger in the same app is clinical. Yes, they're both text. No, they are not anywhere close to the same thing."

Whats the big deal if it's a tab or a separate app? I could understand the complaint if you wanted texts mixed in with your inbox which I would love, but this is just nitpicking

"Copy and paste? "
    "Editing text is atrocious."

I'll put these 2 together as they both mean the same thing to me....

Umm, your kidding me, right? I guess this goes along with his issue with the touchscreen. Is he using his entire thumb or something?

"The apps are underwhelming."

What do you expect from something new?

"There was more, but I've forgotten them already. That's how uninspiring the phone was."

I would had read through the rest of his blog on his early entries, but thats how uninspired I was from picking pieces of the device apart that not a lot of people seem to have issue with. Funny thing was the biggest compliment he had for the device....the slider and keyboard, are what most people find to be it's weakest area. This guys a little backwards
    I dunno, while a few of his complaints were blatantly false and others of opinion, the guy tried out the phone and didn't like it. What can you do? That's one fewer person over here that will just complain about the phone for the next six months.

Sounds like another person that wants an iPhone but inexplicably bought something else.
    And the winner for over using the word (atrocious) in an atrocious review goes to Sachin Agarwal what a f-ing atrocious name. See i sound like an a-hole too.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    "Having text messaging and instant messenger in the same app is clinical. Yes, they're both text. No, they are not anywhere close to the same thing."

Whats the big deal if it's a tab or a separate app? I could understand the complaint if you wanted texts mixed in with your inbox which I would love, but this is just nitpicking
    Not trying to stick up for the guy, but there are features (file sharing, photo sharing, etc.) available with IM clients that aren't usable in the Pre's messaging app. So in that regard they are different.

My guess is that he's balking at the lack of a standalone IM client. Who knows.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    in my opinion a review need to be realistic and not something about like and dislike. If i would post something i am trying to be realistic. Its like the british sun or bild in germany if this would be something, someone wrote and call himself a journalist, that would be called fake journalism. Dunno the word in english but in germany journalists need to be "obektiv" (impartial maybe?) otherwise it wont make sense.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    No doubt. Download a thesaurus app, Sachin.

Oh wait. I forgot. 'Dumb phone'.

Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by yaggermr View Post
    And the winner for over using the word (atrocious) in an atrocious review goes to Sachin Agarwal what a f-ing atrocious name. See i sound like an a-hole too.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamworkman View Post
    I liked @vara411's response.
    I can't find vara411's response. Is it on precentral or twitter or ???
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    I can't find vara411's response. Is it on precentral or twitter or ???
    Look in the comments of the original article.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    This has been discussed in an earlier thread, but in my opinion you guys are coming down hard on the guy just because you don't like what he had to say, not because it wasn't true.

His claims:

1. Touchscreen Issues. Agarwal says he had a lot of trouble getting the phone app to recognize when he was trying to hangup a call or initiate one. This obviously isn't a touchscreen problem, it's a lag issue with the phone app, and he understands this saying that it's probably an OS or memory issue. Either way. When the phone app on a phone doesn't work properly...well...that's an issue.

2. Battery life. Agarwal says he was getting 16 hours...I get somewhat less on heavy use. And I thought there was consensus on this issue. Hell, even Palm says they're hoping to improve it somewhat in 1.4.

3. GPS. Agarwal says he's using a Verizon Pre+ and this issue was becoming widespread enough that I believe it made the frontpage here. At the least it's in multiple threads. So don't dismiss it just because you're with Sprint, it could be a carrier issue.

4. The text/IM complaint. I don't really get his argument here, so I'll leave it alone. But if someone else wants to chime in.

5. Copy/paste/editing. Honestly? I think the implementation sucks too. It's annoying enough where I don't even bother copying or pasting, and to edit I just delete entire words. And I'm guessing I'm not alone. I've never used an iphone, so I can't say if they've implemented it better or not. All I can say is that on the Pre I avoid it.

6. App Store. He's not complaining about the number of apps. He's complaining about the way they're organized and not-so-searchable and he's right. The example he gives of searching for "twitter" was in fact I search I did a few days ago and got similar results.

Anyway. I own a Pre, I like the Pre, so whatever. I think it has the best OS and multi-tasking capabilities on the market. I also think it has serious issues and Agarwal addressed a few of them. To be honest he didn't even address what in my opinion are the most severe...the general lag, the lack of API's contributing to unavailability of newer google services, and lackluster features/performance in some of the core PIM applications. But just because I recognize those doesn't mean it's a crap phone...it just means that there are issues I hope Palm addresses in the short term.

Your bigger concern should be that given the Pre's general lack of media coverage, especially lately, bad user experiences like these are likely to drive new users away...which is bad for everyone, well everyone except google stockholders.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    Look in the comments of the original article.
    Yup, sorry I wasn't clear about that. It's in the comments below his article.
    skeet skeet skeet
    I love my pre. This guy is a jacknut. With technology ever changing you will always have issues. Thats why there are patches and updates. What a dork. WAH WAH cry me a river. Be gone from pre you dweeb!!!!
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    The battery life issue is the only one you can give any credence too. With the copy and paste argument it is clear he doesn't know that you can move the curser with your finger anywhere on the screen b/c is dead simple and accurate as long as you don't try to have your finger drag the curser location. So he doesn't like Navigator, not Palm's software. Sprint's works great for me.

In sum I think pretty much all his complaints boil down to him being a stupid user who couldn't find his way out of a wet paper bag.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast