Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all, i originally posted this in the generic Pre section but thought it would be better suited here so can you please read my original post here
    http://snipurl.com/mmsproblem [forums_precentral_net]
    And let me know if you experience the same?
    If you do, do all of us O2 Pre users a favour and contact O2 on 2302 (from handset) and let them know.
    O2 are trying to blame the Pre, but by testing other carriers by sending a picture message to yourself from your Pre it seems its an O2 (possible GSM) problem that can be corrected their end by changing the APN settings.

Thanks for looking
  2.    #2  
    Bump,
    Please help to keep this alive by testing your mms quality.
    Take a pic with your Pre and then MMS it to your own number.
    Post your findings here so i can get an idea regarding if its just O2 or not.
    O2 are going to contact me tomorrow 23/02/2010 so would be good to have some findings to tell them about.

Thanks

Sharpcroft
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    Very poor O2 UK.

As you can see.

Urgh -.-

Glad you mentioned it, i just tried it myself, though i dont use MMS much, the pic i received (which i sent my self) was of awful quality!

Definitely was NOT like that before. Somethings borked on O2's side.
    Last edited by Adam Carr; 02/22/2010 at 04:23 PM.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, do us all a big favour and contact O2 on the mentioned number (the palm pre/iphone team) and let them know, they are dragging their heals on an investigation at their end so the more calls they receive the more chance we have of getting it fixed.

Ta
    Hi,

Yeah no worries i'll do just that later on today. Currently playing around with the MMS settings but a no go so far. Not sure if this is compression on O2's side or the Pre's side so will dig around and see what i can find.

Cheers
    Just tested on Virgin Mobile UK (QWERTZ Pre) - once I had manually configured the MMS settings the picture arrived in the same state as when it left me.

Looks like an O2 MMS centre issue.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
  8.    #8  
    Got a call from O2 support today who initially blamed it on a "feature" of the Pre!! The nice young lady told me that the reason the pictures looked better when sent to an Iphone was due to its superior resolution screen and better camera LOL
    After i explained that the Pre had the same screen resolution and in fact the better camera she started to listen, we exchanged MMS pictres between her (O2's) test Pre and mine and then between the Pre's and an Iphone, finaly the penny dropped as to what the problem was and her manager agreed that there must be a problem with O2's APN settings causing the Pre to only pull a thumbnail from its messaging servers.
    A case ahs now been raised (with their network people?) and i am promised a call back later tonight sometime before 9pm GMT, i will keep you posted on the outcome.
    Thanks to all that had a play and reported the fault to O2.

Sharpcroft
    have you recieved the call?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    MMS images are usually converted into something different than what was sent to save bandwidth (Sprint I believe coverts to JPGs) by the carriers.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpcroft View Post
    Got a call from O2 support today who initially blamed it on a "feature" of the Pre!! The nice young lady told me that the reason the pictures looked better when sent to an Iphone was due to its superior resolution screen and better camera LOL
    After i explained that the Pre had the same screen resolution and in fact the better camera she started to listen, we exchanged MMS pictres between her (O2's) test Pre and mine and then between the Pre's and an Iphone, finaly the penny dropped as to what the problem was and her manager agreed that there must be a problem with O2's APN settings causing the Pre to only pull a thumbnail from its messaging servers.
    A case ahs now been raised (with their network people?) and i am promised a call back later tonight sometime before 9pm GMT, i will keep you posted on the outcome.
    Thanks to all that had a play and reported the fault to O2.

Sharpcroft
    Thanks for the headsup.

The issue does seem to be on O2's side. After talking to the customer service rep he advised me to do a partial erase, to no avail, pulling the MMS picture onto the computer revealed it to be a thumbnail. with awful quality and over exposure. O2 customer service rep logged this as a fault and they said they would investigate accordingly.

Thanks sharpcroft, i believe you have saved many of us O2 Pre owners alot of headache and hassle
  12.    #12  
    Got a call at 9pm GMT last night and the lady said it was being passed onwards and upwards and they would contact me again today, anyone got an old PAYG sim on another network to test the theory?
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I've had someone on 3 send me an MMS and only got a tiny thumbnail. This was last month I think. I hope that helps. I personally never ever use mms and thought this was standard, heh.
    sharpcroft and I have done some testing now.

Sending O2 to Virgin UK seems to work OK (I received full size image)
    Virgin to O2 showed the thumbnail problem.

Problem seems to be on the O2 inbound server therefore.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Must be something with the O2 network, MMS works fine on Sprint for me.
  16.    #16  
    Take a look, first is taken on pre and sent via MMS to self, second is what i received back!!
    [
    PICS REMOVED DUE TO RESIZING ERROR, SEE BELOW

gets worse now, cant even send MMS pics to my self, maybe O2 are playing with my settings???
    Last edited by sharpcroft; 02/25/2010 at 02:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Must be something with the O2 network, MMS works fine on Sprint for me.
    That would be why we're talking about it in the GSM Pre area - Sprint is a CDMA network....

Anyway - the results of the test are back on the original thread over at http://discussion.treocentral.com/pa...r-quality.html
  18.    #18  
    lets try that again, sorry photobucket resized the first post, again number 1 is sent image, number 2 is received

Might as well post mine here again too

number 1 is what I got from sharpcroft

number 2 is what I got after sending that image back to him and him forwarding what he received to me

=> O2 to Virgin works fine
    Virgin to O2 - something resizes it and since I did a test with Virgin to Virgin and it worked OK, the problem must be on O2's inbound server.
    I have noticed this also. Anybody heard from o2 about fixing this?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast