Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    post after post about games. is that all anybody cares about.. i look in the app catalogue, more games than anything else..

i would really like for our app makers to concentrate on apps that make use of the serious side of our phones..usefull apps for us adults.. and not cater to the 16 and under crowd
    Games are for all types of people. Games are what brings in users from all walks of life. I agree that it would be nice to have apps that are more integrated and useful but those will come with time I guess.
    What's important to you isn't necessarily what's important to someone else. I know plenty of adults who like phone games.
    I don't know where you're looking, but I see a "few" games and "several" real-apps whenever I look in the catalouge.

I'm closing in on 30 years old, and while I no longer consider myself a "kid", I still find some of these games to be an enjoyable diversion. Also, the majority of developers working on the WebOS apps right now ARE coding those more "serious" apps. The games tend to take less time to create (a large majority of them are simply ports from iPhone versions), which is why there are so many popping up.
    Games actually are made to hit the 16-30 male group, but have recently increased in age and gender.

What you use your phone for is your own personal business, but I don't think there should be any negativity toward whatever apps appear in the app store, someone is bound to find some use out of them, and a bigger draw of people means more apps of all varieties.

Personally I don't like alot of the "serious" apps, things like schedule helpers and task managers are barley useful and you rarely get anything but duplicate functionality out after the first few. Games have much more use as they help pass time and reduce stress, I would encourage you to try out a few of them before you pass judgement.
  6.    #6  
    until we get some serious contact app upgrades, email app upgrades. word processor upgrades palm is missing out on business class users.. and these users usually have more money to spend.. until then they will stick with their blackberry.. palm should go back to its roots, and strive to be the blackberry killer instead of worrying about what the i phoney is doing
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I actually feel that the games are at a sub-par level.
    The screen real estate should allow for different games on the Pre.

However, I really don't know what people want from apps.
    People show me so many useless apps on their iphone... I don't know what people really want besides games.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Games actually are made to hit the 16-30 male group, but have recently increased in age and gender.

What you use your phone for is your own personal business, but I don't think there should be any negativity toward whatever apps appear in the app store, someone is bound to find some use out of them, and a bigger draw of people means more apps of all varieties.

Personally I don't like alot of the "serious" apps, things like schedule helpers and task managers are barley useful and you rarely get anything but duplicate functionality out after the first few. Games have much more use as they help pass time and reduce stress, I would encourage you to try out a few of them before you pass judgement.
    your right what seriuos apps we have are barely usefull, thats my point.. but we seem to have cutting edge games.. until this happens most of the professional crowd will continue to see the pre as a toy
    I agree with the op somewhat. I think he's talking productivity maybe? The old palm guys and girls miss the great caendar, task and utility apps from the old platform. The thing is though all platforms have to start somewhere. And deveopers like the rest of us are interested in making money. Right now the best way to do this is to make games.

All those utility apps that you see on the iphone will be platform independent one day. Just not for a while. Some things are hardware dependent llike for instance, the lack of a autofocus camera on the pre prevents any barcode reading apps.

therefore there are different motivations for developers to make apps for the phone.

just have a little patience and itl all pay off.
    I just turned 31, I own my own modestly successful business, and currently I have the following games on my phone that I love to play while I am relaxing:

Glyder, Tetris, Topple Ball, Earthworm Jim, and Paratrooper

I use my phone every single day to accomplish serious tasks and I have several important (and impressive) productivity applications on my phone that I purchased from the App Catalog, including Geostrings.

Your age-related tirade is entirely divorced from reality and is disappointing. It makes me sad that there are still people out there who are willing to disregard an entire medium (i.e. videogames) purely from a position of ignorance. Oh well, technology marches forward and the same thing happened with plays, music, silent movies, movies with sound, Rock and Roll, Technicolor, the Internet, and now videogames.

I dare you to try Paratrooper and not smile. It doesn't have anything to do with your age.
    I'm all for an app cat that is diverse. I think that where the OP maybe coming from is that it seems like most of the recent releases are games; fair or not. However, as the app cat grows you'll continue to see more productivity apps.

I like a good game here and there but the price EA and the other major devs are charging seems a bit high. The free games in the app cat seem to be fun enough kill time while you wait in an airport or what have you.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I think one of the causes of this is Mojo. While it's kinda of nice working with it, it's just too UI centric, which annoys me personally to no end. I have felt that javascript/mojo doesn't provide enough of a division between UI and business logic.

If I was given the choice, I would choose c# or java to program in, not to mention BB apps could more easily be ported to webos. And I believe alot of my peers would agree that these would be the preferred choices for business-related programs.

I personally hope the pdk allows for something along the lines of calls into compiled code, rather than having to write an entire app to run in the plug-in.
  13.    #13  
    that would be cool
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    lol... I hear exactly what you are saying.... but people were complaining of "no games" and some will now complain of too many games.... You really cant please everyone...
    But we really do need substantial apps in there... but Palm needs to supply the PDK...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    lol... I hear exactly what you are saying.... but people were complaining of "no games" and some will now complain of too many games.... You really cant please everyone...
    But we really do need substantial apps in there... but Palm needs to supply the PDK...
    i have no problem with games... i just dont want the powers that be to lose focus of what a powerful phone such as the pre should be first and foremost, that being a powerful business tool
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    until we get some serious contact app upgrades, email app upgrades. word processor upgrades palm is missing out on business class users.. and these users usually have more money to spend.. until then they will stick with their blackberry.. palm should go back to its roots, and strive to be the blackberry killer instead of worrying about what the i phoney is doing
    I hear what you're saying, but.... If you go WAY back (on this very forum, or should I say, the TreoCentral forum) to just before the Pre even came out, there was much debate over the "business" usefulness of the Pre to begin with. Arguments arose and rants flamed surrounding the "business" user who was getting mad because the Pre wasn't spec'd to accomplish the full bevy of "business" tasks. To which the conclusion was constantly being made, "If you want a phone that does XYZ, buy a Treo Pro".

It was pretty much settled (among forum members) that the Pre was not being designed primarily around the professional user.
    And yet there are professionals using it successfully every day.
    just because i am in the <16 range doesn't mean that all i do is games. I use the phone to call, and the web browsing is pretty sick too
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    On the funnier side of things, you naming this post "games games games" is very very ironic in that only the people really interested in games will view a thread with that title, where as all the people you want the support of would rather read thread about serious apps.

Im not saying games are better or serious apps are better, Im just saying if you want people to be interested in serious apps, and want the people with serious apps thinking and converging with you name your post more to the point haha. Right now all your gonna get are people who were excited about games!
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    palm prolly has to develop api's to turn on all the non-game functions we want. i'm sure they will but the games will finance that. bring them on.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast