Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Hi everybody and please feel free to criticize. I need to know if Im just being too sensitive or a drama queen.

I like my Palm Pre. I like the features a lot but in less than a year since it came out the competition has caught up and even surpassed it in some cases.

Well, my issue with the Pre is that to get the phone to do a lot of "basic things" you have to go to Preware and get patches for things that should have been on this 'Advanced Smart Phone"

I have like 100 patches and most for basic crap.

I purchased on of Sprint's "Free Phones" and noticed while I was playing with it that it actually does more than my Pre. Of course it doesnt do "Synergy" but does everything else that I want on a phone.

Am I beeing too much of drama queen about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by ldpantoja View Post
    Hi everybody and please feel free to criticize. I need to know if Im just being too sensitive or a drama queen.

I like my Palm Pre. I like the features a lot but in less than a year since it came out the competition has caught up and even surpassed it in some cases.

Well, my issue with the Pre is that to get the phone to do a lot of "basic things" you have to go to Preware and get patches for things that should have been on this 'Advanced Smart Phone"

I purchased on of Sprint's "Free Phones" and noticed while I was playing with it that it actually does more than my Pre. Of course it doesnt do "Synergy" but does everything else that I want on a phone.

what "basic" features are you talking about besides video recording?
    I thought this was going to be a Poll :-(.

Drama queen, probably not, but this smart phone does a whole heck of a lot more than "free" phones without being patched. The key to me IS the extensibility, the ability to patch, load homebrew, all the apps tricking out... So, while the "free" phone may have out of the box features, it will never change over your 1 to 2 year contract. The Palm Pre just keeps getting better and better with each day that passes.

Should it have had more "basic" functionality out the door? Most likely -- that seems to be the general consensus around here, but I still think it has a lot!!
    To the OP: I'm just curious what the free phone can do that WebOS can't do (sans Video recording, that should be here any day now)? What does the free phone do better then WebOS?
    just my 2 cents your stupid, haha jk
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

I don't use any patches for any reason. I love my Pre as is and always have. It does more than enough than I would of thought a phone could do and more. I hate it when people complain (not saying you are just in general) about the most smallest of things. If you don't like the phone for whatever reason then get another phone.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    To the OP: I'm just curious what the free phone can do that WebOS can't do (sans Video recording, that should be here any day now)? What does the free phone do better then WebOS?
    Not really better but something little like attaching pics on MMS. On my kid's phone it will let you mark the ones that you want to send and then actually send multiple pics. Pre you have to send one at a time.

Deleteing pics on Pre, again, one at a time. Son's, mark which ever ones then delete.

Vid recording was already mentioned but that basic little thing is actually a big thing on an advanced smartphone.

As i said before, little things.
    Not really better but something little like attaching pics on MMS. On my kid's phone it will let you mark the ones that you want to send and then actually send multiple pics. Pre you have to send one at a time.

Deleteing pics on Pre, again, one at a time. Son's, mark which ever ones then delete.

Vid recording was already mentioned but that basic little thing is actually a big thing on an advanced smartphone.

As i said before, little things.
    yes you are a drama queen
    Sorry to ignore all the important things you put into your well-thought out post (I especially hate ignoring the "free phone does more comment);

But, you put crap on your phone? Seriously?

I mean... yuk. That's kinda gross.
    I can kinda sympathize with the OP...I had the Samsung Rant first from Sprint, and then as soon as the Pre was released, I gave the missus the Rant and got the Pre for myself (yeah, I know...I am a selfish SOB...). The Rant has a slide out landscape keyboard, handled all my mail accounts, was 3G, had video recording, voice dialing (a really good implementation too...no training, just say any name in your address book and POW), a micro SD card slot, etc.

I also was a bit suprised when I got the Pre that some of these features are missing. I knew that video recording was not there, but I did not understand why voice dialing or a microSD slot was not on such a feature phone, when my "dumb phone" has these features and more. However, browsing on the Rant was horrible, the mail client was a joke, apps were nonexistent (except the paltry and expensive Sprint offerings), customization was impossible, etc. So there are always trade offs, and unlike the Rant, where it is not going to get any better, the Pre is still evolving, and I feel that eventually these features will be there, and then some. It sucks to wait a year for these type of features that should have been there since day one, but I love WebOS, and am willing to give them the time to mature.

Many lament that they have to go to places like PreCentral to add the features they want (and feel should be there by default), but I wish those of you who see this as a failure to reconsider your position. Instead of seeing this as a shortcoming of the platform, you should view this as a great feature! It shows the true flexibility of the platform, and highlights one of the weaknesses of the "dumb phones". There was no way to 'fix' my issues on the Rant. (I could not even get Opera to run on the phone...) Not so on the Pre. If I am not content with something on the phone, there is likely a fix, a patch, or a workaround here that I can implement to make the phone the way I want it. Try doing that on a Blackberry. And a lot of the patches that were out initially have been fixed in official releases, so each update means a couple less patches I have to reinstall.

And waiting for official features is OK, as things like LED notifications, video recording, etc. have been addressed by our homebrew community, meaning that I am not missing out in the meantime. So I urge everyone who has a negative view of patching, please reconsider. Give our homebrew developers some love! They have made my Pre experience top notch, because I can mod my phone to suit my needs.

So, thanks to all the devs out there that share my Pre passion. And to the newbies, I urge you to jump in with both feet to the homebrew community! If you are looking for a feature, or are having a problem, I can almost guarantee there is a fix out there for you if you search the forums.

Nope, not a drama queen. Maybe ***** is more appropriate.

Really, attaching pics to an MMS is the best you got? I could make a very long list of what your dumbphone can't do.

Remember you said your free phone did MORE than the Pre. Ignorance isn't an excuse here so i'm thinking it's more along the lines of stupidity.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    just my 2 cents your stupid, haha jk
    I'm not going to go into details here, but you really didn't do yourself any favors by saying that in that way.

Grammar fail ftw.
    Yes, yes you are.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Nope, not a drama queen. Maybe ***** is more appropriate.

Really, attaching pics to an MMS is the best you got? I could make a very long list of what your dumbphone can't do.

Remember you said your free phone did MORE than the Pre. Ignorance isn't an excuse here so i'm thinking it's more along the lines of stupidity.
    No STUPID is a phone that is supposed to be " smart" yet doesn't have voice dial. And don't even go there about how we should have done our " homework" ( stupid people) and seen that the phone didn't have such a BASIC feature. When you go new car shopping, do you check to see that the car has 4 tires and brakes?
    you are not stupid or drama queen.. You just think the simple things are important!!
    Quote Originally Posted by firstimer View Post
    No STUPID is a phone that is supposed to be " smart" yet doesn't have voice dial. And don't even go there about how we should have done our " homework" ( stupid people) and seen that the phone didn't have such a BASIC feature. When you go new car shopping, do you check to see that the car has 4 tires and brakes?
    Would you care to hazard a guess at how many smartphones don't have voice dialing built in? I suspect there are a lot more than your post implies.
    I agree that compared to something like a BlackBerry there are many little features that the core apps are missing that they really should have. But I'm also confident that these things will be implemented incrementally as the years go by. There is no reason why you should feel like you're being forced to stick with Palm - I have always taken the attitude that I will choose the best phone available, regardless of whether or not it's Apple, BlackBerry, Android, etc. WebOS will still be here in a few years, maybe you could come back then when the feature set meets your needs.

No hard feelings - we're consumers and we should choose the devices that we most desire, loyalty really doesn't come into it.