Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    We have faith in the Webosinternals team and Jason and such. Here's to hoping they find the way to get it working properly.

Cheers!
    Robert

Jason: Why hasn't rwhitby come to Precentral in order to pose this issue with other people that may be able to give help, but may not be in the Dev family?

I understand the NDA and all that, but we are all really on the same team. There may be someone out there who knows why a problem keeps happening...
    Well, first off, a Preware issue us not an AUPT issue, 2 different technologies.

Rod is an aussie on a completely different timezone than most of us; no doubt when he gets a chance he'll appear here to post at some point.

In regards to any Preware 1.4 bug, I'm not sure what I'm even allow to say, but let's put it this way when I say early access devs have their own special places to discuss things wthout breaking NDA. I don't think anyone would have assumed otherwise.

Now, as I've said, if you'd like to discuss this issue privately, I'm on IRC on both #webos and #webos-internals. Knowing people are under NDA and trying to pry information people simply cannot give will confuse people more than they already are.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    On second thought does Rod even sleep?
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
    Look.... I have no reason not to think that AUPT is going to work. I usually doctor my phone before an update anyway (ex-windows user here)... So I am thinking that maybe I will just try the update with my patches installed and then if I need to webdoctor... I am not really any worse for wear than I normally would be.
    Aka: NinjaMom
    www.ppcgeeks.com
    PPC6600>PPC6700>HTC Touch>Touch Pro>Palm Pre
    powerbyte did us all a big diservice, and just confused people more than they already are, his opening statement wasn't based on fact and he confused the different patch mthods.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    No worries, at least you warned them. Every single WebOS update since patches were invented have caused people to brick their Pre's. 1.4 wont be any different. The only thing that bothers me about it is that people blame it on Palm when their the ones who brought it on themselves by hacking their phones.
    noone's pre has been bricked by an update with patches. It hasn't happened. I wish people would choose their words carefully, because it spreads false rumors. The Pre is incredibly hard to "brick"

Brick is a literal term, it turns your device into a paperweight, AKA A brick.

Bricking a device goes beyond the actual components. You can brick ANY electrical device through MANY means. Bricking, in short often relates to some process that will often permanently destroy your device software-wise. It is often unrepairable except for that usual rare method that MAY save the device.

Bricking usually involves the firmware of a device and the very hidden memory that is often carried over through hard resets and such. Think of it like the "Brain" of your device. If it gets ever so slightly tampered with in the wrong way (such as a flash, which would be the equivalent of brain surgery here) it can be permanently damaged forever.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    powerbyte, I've PM'd you back.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    i think powerbyte should have talked to the webos internals guys about his concerns before starting this thread.
  8.    #128  
    Yes,
    You're right about that....I give myself a bif FAIL on that one. I was only trying to help though. My apologies.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ferchope View Post
    i think powerbyte should have talked to the webos internals guys about his concerns before starting this thread.

Well, seeing what is coming out now, I can kind of understand his reasoning.

Perhaps he has raised the issue (of alerting the community of potential issues with Preware after the update) and the webOS Internals guys have turned a deaf ear thinking that they will be able to resolve everything before the release of 1.4.

If that is indeed the case (and it is only MY assumption), then powerbyte was trying to get the word out. I disagree with the way in which he did it, and the wording in which he used, but hindsight is 20/20, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Not enough info and anyway the question will be solved, oh, within 5 minutes of the software update when 1 or 2 people with patches go to update their phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    Yes,
    You're right about that....I give myself a bif FAIL on that one. I was only trying to help though. My apologies.....
    thats what ya get for trying to be nice... nice guys finish last dontya know
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    what a thread

can we get another Pre forum up on precentral where morons can't post? these forums are horrible
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Well, seeing what is coming out now, I can kind of understand his reasoning.

I disagree with the way in which he did it, and the wording in which he used, but hindsight is 20/20, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Agreed. I thought this was a horrible thread until the most recent posts, bringing to light some potential issues with Preware. I must say, I was really excited for webOS 1.4...but now I'm kinda worried that all of the patches I've gotten used to will cause me more problems than they're worth...

Quote Originally Posted by Stihl View Post
    what a thread

can we get another Pre forum up on precentral where morons can't post? these forums are horrible
    How about one where trolls can't post either...
    Quote Originally Posted by vnmous1 View Post
    Because he's been there- done that-got the tshirt like most of us that have been there from day one. "Why should we pay credence...?????" Are you freaking serious? What a ****** thing to say to someone that's trying to help people.

But for you....leave all your patches on and have a nice day.

bj
    Quote Originally Posted by Malyshka View Post
    (I only have 9 patches and will remove them anyways, but still.....)
    You are one of those cuss first, think later type of guys, aren't you?
    let me just post this non-NDA-breaking question:

If there was a 1.4-related issue with Preware. It's a logical assumption it's being actively worked on. And it makes sense that they wouldn't be able to advertise it or post about it as that's break NDA. If there was a problem, of course

Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    let me just post this non-NDA-breaking question:

If there was a 1.4-related issue with Preware. It's a logical assumption it's being actively worked on. And it makes sense that they wouldn't be able to advertise it or post about it as that's break NDA. If there was a problem, of course
    See, Dr., I have this friend.....

As Jason says, this is not the place to discuss NDA topics.

Developers working under a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) cannot publicly talk about NDA test results.

And only someone with NDA early access can accurately address this thread's topics. Any NDA content would have to be deleted.

We already have a thread about the general question: "Will you remove patches before 1.4?"

Why don't we all mosey on over there...

- Craig
    This just in from rwhitby:

Preware 0.9.27 & Package Manager Service 0.9.36 have been released - you *really* *should* update to these versions soon.
    - Craig
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 02/22/2010 at 09:09 PM.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567