Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    would a full reset not do?
    i ask cos i've never tried .
    Global Posts
    489 Global Posts
    Base on my understanding on how AUPT works......

The patches that would be negatively affect would the be ones that span multiple packages. Ie, the SMS tone per contact patch. It messes with the contacts app, messaging app, sound app...etc...

The problem that arises is that the AUPT technology can't tell which on these might change in the next update. As a result, bits and pieces of a patch might be hanging around after the 1.4 update. This could definitely cause unwanted behavior.

I am not aware of this particular issue being fixed and would love to get some input from the webosinternals guys or tell me that I am wrong.

All my other patches only modify a single ipkg/app so they should be fine. I have considered just removing the SMS tone patch and still using AUPT but I am not sure what I am going to do yet.

Edit: I think the main side effect of this situation would be that the SMS tone patch for example will not be able to be update and perhaps might not be able to be removed and reinstalled manually after the update. There might have to me some manual root command line intervention.

I think as long as you don't have these patches that span multiple apps/packages...then all will be fine.
    Last edited by navinag; 02/22/2010 at 11:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    and that is why we love you Jason....all the hard work you guys do.

I never meant to disceredit that work....I just wanted to help out those who otherwise wouldn't be in the know.

Robert
    I'm in IRC in #webos-internals and #webos if you want to voice your concerns privately

(nickname of JayCanuck, as usual, heh)
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    I just want video recorder!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Not to be rude, but I'm still waiting for an actual reason why people might want to not trust AUPT
    I think that since its still a new concept and some of us have had some bad experiences during an upgrade we are a bit reluctant. Its not that we don't trust that you guys have done some GREAT work just a bit weary.
    However I will probably still trust AUPT.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte
    Jason,
    it's not all about WOSQI is it? I mean, there is another tool that is NOT working in 1.4 at this time, is there not? We are doing a disservice to our fellow board members if there is a problem with that tool that can't be fixed by Thursday.....no?

(if Thursday is the day)

Cheers!

Robert

All I can say publicly is WebOS Quick Install is fully AUPT-ready. Opening up the Tweaks sections after an OTA update will trigger a special Update Helper.

Every .patch file installed with WOSQI will be removed, and if possible, reapplied. After that, the Update Helper will update any non-updated WebOS-Internals patch feed patches.

If you're talking about Preware, you may have a few details mixed up. Preware may occasionally have its issues, but there's always easy workarounds and quick people doing fixes. But then again,you probably already knew that, eh. Besides, as said above, WOSQI is always there
    Where did this come from? I do not see this post from powerbyte on this thread?

So, are you saying there is a problem with Preware running on 1.4 (in a not so sublte way )?
    There was no update-to-1.4 testing done, mainly as that's not possible. OTA updates and Palm just don't bend to our will... yet

However a lot of other testing was done. In fact, I remember Egaudet discussing early incarnations of AUPT back before webOS 1.3.5 even was released! And theoretically, nothing should be able to derail AUPT at this point in the game short of a full device wipe.

Discrediting AUPT for no valid reason not on;ly doe a disservice to the community, spreading paranoia, but also disrespect the incredible amount of time and testing that was devoted to AUPT and related software.
    well Jason if you say it is ok theen it will be ok. Thanks from me for all the work you do. Will just updae.
    Not to be rude, but I'm still waiting for an actual reason why people might want to not trust AUPT
    I fully support AUPT and trust it as I stated that earlier. But the OP's original posts and a recent one that disappeared did give me a doubt or two. I'll wait for official word one way or the other, right now the OFFICIAL word is that it's safe to update with patches installed and I'm going to believe that unless there's an OFFICIAL announcement saying it's not.

The below post is what made me wonder, just a little. This same post disappeared minutes after it was posted.

Originally Posted by powerbyte
    Jason,
    it's not all about WOSQI is it? I mean, there is another tool that is NOT working in 1.4 at this time, is there not? We are doing a disservice to our fellow board members if there is a problem with that tool that can't be fixed by Thursday.....no?

(if Thursday is the day)

Cheers!

Robert
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Hmmm, interesting stuff here. Possible Preware issues? Thursday? More rumors?

I guess only time will tell.
    exactly mjkjr....exactly
    Last edited by mjkjr; 02/22/2010 at 11:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtaylor View Post
    WOW powerbyte he got you nany nany nany.
    Jason has done some Awesome things for us and he is probably right that the AUPT will more then likely work for most uf us.

Powerbyte was only trying to let us know that he ran into a problem and it could happen to others. He could have used better words when he started this thread, and since he didn't we should "take him out". He was only trying to be helpful and has stated it many times in the thread WOW. I will probably leave my patches on or watch the threads after others do. If something happens to me in a bad way do I share with you all and have you treat me this way. hmmm makes you wonder way this forum is here?
    If you have an issue, then come on to the forum and imply that everyone is going to have the same issue, that hundreds of hours of work should be ignored if users are "smart", you will likely be treated much the same way.

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to "unring a bell". I found his original post to be somewhat of a "the sky is falling". It was bad enough that it had no corroborating information, but was compounded by the insulting nature of how he said it.

And please, leave it alone about the NDA. The information given could have had things like "I've heard that patch xyz exhibited jkl behavior when applying 1.4". That would have left the NDA as involate as his original post, but would have provided some concrete information, without the "if you're smart" nonsense.
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtaylor View Post
    Powerbyte was only trying to let us know that he ran into a problem and it could happen to others.
    No he didn't. He said everything but that.
    To all those who may be new to the WebOS world, expecially our new Verizon Users who are seeing this as their first Major Update to their phone.

It has been disclosed to me that failure to remove your patches before the 1.4 update may cause your phone to behave erratically.

You can always go back and use WebOS doctor to place your phone back to factory defaults, so there is really no way your phone can be "bricked" (unusable).

So base on the information I have gathered, I am saying to you:

PLEASE REMOVE ALL PATCHES BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL THE 1.4 UPDATE!!!

You can load up Preware before the update and choose the "LIST OF EVERYTHING"

From there, start typing the word EMERGENCY and choose the Emergency Patch Removal program. Install that and all the patches will be removed. Then go about installing 1.4. This may make it easier for some.

I know some of you guys (myself included), were thinking of relying on the AUPT Technology, but in my honest opinion I would highly advise against it at this point.

This is no cause for panic, just a simple suggestion to ease the transition to 1.4.

Cheers!

Robert
    i do not see emergency patch remover under list of everything....
    Quote Originally Posted by electrical1213 View Post
    i do not see emergency patch remover under list of everything....
    It's called Emergency Patch Recovery.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    If you run EPR, what will happen to stuff like you extra launcher pages, named pages, etc. ?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    No he didn't. He said everything but that.
    Yes he did in post #40 and the NDA part was already brought up. So my guess is he used that. Could it be a different reason like his employer or something else who knows but he did indicate that he had an issue. take it for what its worth or don't
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    It's called Emergency Patch Recovery.
    ok then, thanks so much.
    I ran EPR last night after my pre totally ****ed up about 50 of my photos and it did nothing...all my patches are still installed, even though it said EPR completed successfully. Is this as a result of un-updated patches or a glitch??
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I ran EPR last night after my pre totally ****ed up about 50 of my photos and it did nothing...all my patches are still installed, even though it said EPR completed successfully. Is this as a result of un-updated patches or a glitch??
    Have you already updated them to AUPT-3? If not reinstall them then remove again.
    To all those who may be new to the WebOS world, expecially our new Verizon Users who are seeing this as their first Major Update to their phone.

It has been disclosed to me that failure to remove your patches before the 1.4 update may cause your phone to behave erratically.

You can always go back and use WebOS doctor to place your phone back to factory defaults, so there is really no way your phone can be "bricked" (unusable).

So base on the information I have gathered, I am saying to you:

PLEASE REMOVE ALL PATCHES BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL THE 1.4 UPDATE!!!

You can load up Preware before the update and choose the "LIST OF EVERYTHING"

From there, start typing the word EMERGENCY and choose the Emergency Patch Removal program. Install that and all the patches will be removed. Then go about installing 1.4. This may make it easier for some.

I know some of you guys (myself included), were thinking of relying on the AUPT Technology, but in my honest opinion I would highly advise against it at this point.

This is no cause for panic, just a simple suggestion to ease the transition to 1.4.

Cheers!

Robert
    Thanks Robert for looking out for the community. I appreciate it.
    So it doesn't matter if patches were installed with Preware or WebOSQI as long as they have been updated through Preware they should be fine, Right? I get confused sometimes since it still causes a problem when I try to uninstall a patch with the program it wasn't installed with.
    I was waiting for Rod to show up here too, is it the middle of the night "down under" maybe he's asleep?
    "The union forces me to allow you to go to lunch in spite of the way you've played. Those of you with consciences will not be able to eat. And those of you whose consciences match your talents... go stuff yourselves. I hope you choke".....Maestro, The Money Pit
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast