Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 138
  1. #81  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Thanks Jason, and did these tests include the update to 1.4? I think that seems to be the main question here. I know, from the article Derek or Dieter wrote, you guys did a lot of testing with updates from previous versions of webOS, but what about 1.4?
    There was no update-to-1.4 testing done, mainly as that's not possible. OTA updates and Palm just don't bend to our will... yet

    However a lot of other testing was done. In fact, I remember Egaudet discussing early incarnations of AUPT back before webOS 1.3.5 even was released! And theoretically, nothing should be able to derail AUPT at this point in the game short of a full device wipe.

    Discrediting AUPT for no valid reason not on;ly doe a disservice to the community, spreading paranoia, but also disrespect the incredible amount of time and testing that was devoted to AUPT and related software.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  2. vnmous1's Avatar
    Posts
    173 Posts
    Global Posts
    315 Global Posts
    #82  
    Quote Originally Posted by Malyshka View Post
    Ok, can you give us at least a hint as to why we should pay credence to your post?

    (I only have 9 patches and will remove them anyways, but still.....)
    Because he's been there- done that-got the tshirt like most of us that have been there from day one. "Why should we pay credence...?????" Are you freaking serious? What a ****** thing to say to someone that's trying to help people.

    But for you....leave all your patches on and have a nice day.

    bj
  3. #83  
    I kind of get what the OP ment because there's always someone with a new thread saying a major update bricked their phone. Or there's always a post saying 'I forgot to remove my patches,HELP'. And for users who had somebody else install their patches for them, wouldn't know anything about AUPT or this site at all.

    but I'm sure there will be them threads and post from new users and verzion customers
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Not quite a good comparison. A better comparison is to say that people who don't know how to rebuild the whole break system shouldnt try to replace the brake pads themselves. Driving a car isn't the same as doing your own maintenance or modding, neither is using an advanced phone versus going out of your way to make changes to it.
    I disagree totally with both analogies. To use WebOS Quick Install, you hook up your Pre to a computer, and run a Java application that lets you add programs. To use PreWare OTA, you first use WebOS QI to install Preware.

    To apply WebOS Doctor, you use Java to apply the downloaded WebOS Doctor file.

    There is very little difference in the "how to's" involved in both procedures. Obviously, the final outcome is substantially different.

    I would further propose, that for many, maybe even most, it's easier running WebOS Doctor than it is trying to remove multiple patches. Especially so if the patches were installed using different methods (WebOS QI, PreWare, etc).
  5. #85  
    This thread is nothing but a bunch of Chicken Little bull****.
  6. #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    There was no update-to-1.4 testing done, mainly as that's not possible. OTA updates and Palm just don't bend to our will... yet

    However a lot of other testing was done. In fact, I remember Egaudet discussing early incarnations of AUPT back before webOS 1.3.5 even was released! And theoretically, nothing should be able to derail AUPT at this point in the game short of a full device wipe.

    Discrediting AUPT for no valid reason not on;ly doe a disservice to the community, spreading paranoia, but also disrespect the incredible amount of time and testing that was devoted to AUPT and related software.
    you all need to cut jason some slack... his mighty cannucks hockey team didnt fair to well last nite, it seems... USA USA USA
  7. #87  
    This was my point:

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    ...
    Discrediting AUPT for no valid reason not on;ly doe a disservice to the community, spreading paranoia, but also disrespect the incredible amount of time and testing that was devoted to AUPT and related software.
    The WebOS Internals guys spent hundreds of hours on this system. To simply blow it away with no real information seems a bit knee-jerk.
  8. #88  
    I'm not saying it's not safe, but my family won't ride on a train across a bridge built with Reardon metal.

    (i'm sure some will get this)
  9. #89  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    There was no update-to-1.4 testing done, mainly as that's not possible. OTA updates and Palm just don't bend to our will... yet
    So, powerbyte and dkotoric1, what do you say to Jason's post that its "mainly ... not posssible" to have updated to 1.4 with patches in place?

    Or I guess I should ask, what does the source of your "intel" say to that?

    Seems like that ship has been sunk.
  10. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by Technologic 2 View Post
    I'm not saying it's not safe, but my family won't ride on a train across a bridge built with Reardon metal.

    (i'm sure some will get this)
    Don't want to cross Galt's Gulch?
  11. #91  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    So, powerbyte and dkotoric1, what do you say to Jason's post that its "mainly ... not posssible" to have updated to 1.4 with patches in place?

    Or I guess I should ask, what does the source of your "intel" say to that?

    Seems like that ship has been sunk.
    I say his source is a super double shy agent
  12.    #92  
    nevermind...yall do what you want to do...see you Thursday.
  13. #93  
    Hmmm, interesting stuff here. Possible Preware issues? Thursday? More rumors?

    I guess only time will tell.
  14. rjtaylor's Avatar
    Posts
    36 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    So, powerbyte and dkotoric1, what do you say to Jason's post that its "mainly ... not posssible" to have updated to 1.4 with patches in place?

    Or I guess I should ask, what does the source of your "intel" say to that?

    Seems like that ship has been sunk.
    WOW powerbyte he got you nany nany nany.
    Jason has done some Awesome things for us and he is probably right that the AUPT will more then likely work for most uf us.

    Powerbyte was only trying to let us know that he ran into a problem and it could happen to others. He could have used better words when he started this thread, and since he didn't we should "take him out". He was only trying to be helpful and has stated it many times in the thread WOW. I will probably leave my patches on or watch the threads after others do. If something happens to me in a bad way do I share with you all and have you treat me this way. hmmm makes you wonder way this forum is here?
  15.    #95  
    exactly mjkjr....exactly
  16. #96  
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    Jason,
    it's not all about WOSQI is it? I mean, there is another tool that is NOT working in 1.4 at this time, is there not? We are doing a disservice to our fellow board members if there is a problem with that tool that can't be fixed by Thursday.....no?

    (if Thursday is the day)

    Cheers!

    Robert
    All I can say publicly is WebOS Quick Install is fully AUPT-ready. Opening up the Tweaks sections after an OTA update will trigger a special Update Helper.

    Every .patch file installed with WOSQI will be removed, and if possible, reapplied. After that, the Update Helper will update any non-updated WebOS-Internals patch feed patches.


    If you're talking about Preware, you may have a few details mixed up. Preware may occasionally have its issues, but there's always easy workarounds and quick people doing fixes. But then again,you probably already knew that, eh. Besides, as said above, WOSQI is always there
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  17.    #97  
    exactly to rjtaylor too
  18. #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    exactly mjkjr....exactly
    Thanks, I'm pretty torn on what to do now. Probably because both sides have stated some good points. I'm more than comfortable using the doctor if I have to, but hmmm... Maybe I will de-patch today after all, just not sure anymore.
  19. #99  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Thanks, I'm pretty torn on what to do now. Probably because both sides have stated some good points. I'm more than comfortable using the doctor if I have to, but hmmm... Maybe I will de-patch today after all, just not sure anymore.
    Not to be rude, but I'm still waiting for an actual reason why people might want to not trust AUPT
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

    Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

    @JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  20.    #100  
    and that is why we love you Jason....all the hard work you guys do.

    I never meant to disceredit that work....I just wanted to help out those who otherwise wouldn't be in the know.

    Robert
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions