Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    powerbyte, if you have some hard facts but nda problems, you could always lay out your case to precentral, derek deiter and those in the know, like jason, and be asked to be kept anonymous. They could then write a front page bulliten on it.

arguing in forums on the internet, even if you are right, is usually an exercise in futility, as many know.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'd say that anyone that doesn't know how to apply WebOS Doctor, shouldn't be applying patches. Neither one is particularly difficult.

I would also repeat, nothing wrong with jumping in with your opinion about what should be done, but I personally feel your method is wrong.
    People where rooting and then patching before Doctoring was around or at least as easy as it is now. To say that says that we have always been at this level of patching. Technology is great but we often forget where it came from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    ... why would the webOS Internals guys not be saying the same thing that both of your are saying?
    powerbyte and dlotoric1, it's obvious that both of you are not one post wonders, I think that is why you are getting all of the questions and not everyone is just dismissing this out of hand. And yes, powerbyte, my "harpooning" comment was a little harsh -- sorry, just that those of us not in the know, would love a little more info.

But I would still like to hear your answer to my question quoted above. Do you think the webOS Internals guys just want us to try out their AUPT on their word alone? Don't you think that they have tested this with 1.4 as well and if they ran into problems that required doctoring (even in just a small percentage of the cases) don't you think they would warn us too?
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    i was a nnoob a couple of months ago, and in my excitement and haste i downloaded some patches without seeing the warnings to remove before updates. 1.3.5 came out and i downloaded and my pre bricked and i had to doctor my phone and start over.. now i am afraid to use homebrew... a warning like powerbytes would have been greatly appreciated back then... so thank you powerbyte.
    I know this might sound insenstive:

but there were like 50+ threads about removing patches before updating between December 1-28th... The reason you are affraid now is because you didnot educate yourself on homebrew before using it.. common user error on here.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Speaking on behalf of myself and WebOS Quick Install, I did many days worth of testing to make sure everything works well with AUPT on .patch files installed via WebOS Quick Install.

And from my conversations with rwhitby and egaudet, it's clear the AUPT scripts themselves underwent VERY extensive testing to make sure everything works they way it should.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I'd say that anyone that doesn't know how to apply WebOS Doctor, shouldn't be applying patches. Neither one is particularly difficult.

I would also repeat, nothing wrong with jumping in with your opinion about what should be done, but I personally feel your method is wrong.
    I dislike this way of thinking. Its like saying "if you don't even know how to change the brakes you shouldn't be driving a car". As it is changing brakes is very easy...to me. The idea that people shouldn't use things they can't fix is a little extreme.
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    If I were a developer, and I were under an NDA, and I had tested software which was supposed to be released this week
    Ah HAH!

But in all seriousness, I probably will doctor before I update. Got some unrelated nagging issues to take care of, might as well take the opportunity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Speaking on behalf of myself and WebOS Quick Install, I did many days worth of testing to make sure everything works well with AUPT on .patch files installed via WebOS Quick Install.

And from my conversations with rwhitby and egaudet, it's clear the AUPT scripts themselves underwent VERY extensive testing to make sure everything works they way it should.
    Thank you.
    this is one of those "an ounce of prevention is better than..." type post.

sure, everyone who's questioning the OP's motive is free to act as they wish. one way or another, there's going to be some time spent with the update. the nature of forums like this one makes it easy to question everyone, and be cynical. but, remember why we're all here in the first place? what incentive does anyone have of providing FUD if that person plans on being around? what incentive does anyone have of going from being helpful to suddenly messing with people by providing FUD?

i don't know the OP, but if his previous history and thanks-metric in his profile were to be worth something, then it appears that he's doing what he says he's doing: providing a PSA. that's reason enough to believe.

so rather than spending all the time and energy bringing someone down for trying to help, i propose that everyone here adopt a pre-newbie that they know in real life, whose pre may have some patches on it and who aren't as saavy, and help that person with the process by uninstalling patches. since they are newbies anyway, chances are that they don't have a lot of patches so it won't take a lot of your time.

i'm adopting my father. he has 7 patches, and the time it takes me to help him uninstall/reinstall patches is going to be way less than doctoring his phone and copying/moving the database file around.

oh, and thank you to the OP.
    Told you so
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    It has been disclosed to me that failure to remove your patches before the 1.4 update may cause your phone to behave erratically.
    I have to agree with others. This is generally good/solid advice and likely is this time as well, better to be safe than sorry. However, being as it directly contradicts our community geniuses, I can see why people are demanding a clearer understanding of what/who your source is. Seems fair, right?
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vizi View Post
    I dislike this way of thinking. Its like saying "if you don't even know how to change the brakes you shouldn't be driving a car". As it is changing brakes is very easy...to me. The idea that people shouldn't use things they can't fix is a little extreme.
    Not quite a good comparison. A better comparison is to say that people who don't know how to rebuild the whole break system shouldnt try to replace the brake pads themselves. Driving a car isn't the same as doing your own maintenance or modding, neither is using an advanced phone versus going out of your way to make changes to it.
    Thanks Jason, I have followed your instructions precisely in the past and have had no problems, will do so in the future. I am NOT going to uninstall patches and see what happens. If I am wrong NO biggie, there are great instructions here to resolve that problem too. Thanks to Jason and others.

Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre

Thanks Jason, and did these tests include the update to 1.4? I think that seems to be the main question here. I know, from the article Derek or Dieter wrote, you guys did a lot of testing with updates from previous versions of webOS, but what about 1.4?
    I am following your advice even though you were wrong about your beloved Hockey team. Never saw you say anything, just figured it was on your mind. I guess I need to be careful here, shouldn't poke the tender under belly. Go USA Hockey Team!

Clie>Treo 600p> Treo 650p>Treo 755p>Treo 800w>Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    There are now several emergency patch packages. Which one is the correct one to run to remove any patches? I want to make sure I run the correct one. Please advise.
    Quote Originally Posted by 05typesdc5 View Post
    I know this might sound insenstive:

but there were like 50+ threads about removing patches before updating between December 1-28th... The reason you are affraid now is because you didnot educate yourself on homebrew before using it.. common user error on here.
    well we needed 51... im just saying, all the warnings we can get would be helpful... and like i stated, i was new and didnt read carefully in my haste.. so flame me if it makes you feel better about yourself, but i think i flamed myself in my op
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MKTrek View Post
    There are now several emergency patch packages. Which one is the correct one to run to remove any patches? I want to make sure I run the correct one. Please advise.
    Emergency patch removal removes all properly installed patches.
    Following Jasons advice.

Jeers
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by vizi View Post
    Bad analogy. It would be more like saying that if you dont know what you are doing you should not be hacking your car's ECU to advance the spark, as it can cause damage under certain circumstances even though it will result in better performance.

The same could be said of patching.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast