Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    We also "don't need" rumors started because of some double-secret inside information (your unnamed "intel").

You said "I'm just being told that due to some patching issues with 1.4" source would be nice. A listing of the "issues" would be as well.

Maybe it would have been more fair if your post had simply said that the AUPT is untested, and might cause problems. Not questioning your motives, just your method. "Unnamed sources" and implying that anyone that doesn't do it the "old way" is less than smart... well, I think you doth protest a bit too much.

Personally, I think testing out the work of the WebOS Interenals guys is worth the effort. At worst, I'll apply the Dr and move on.
    Yep, i got the feeling he doesn't have much evidence other than some common sense. And he shouldn't imply that he does.

Still, with any significant updates, i prefer a clean install. No matter if its the iphone, windows, etc. Less headaches afterwards usually.

I will say that i've lost some interest in this forum as of late. This thread is just an example. Too many burger flippers
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    Love all the useless tags that have been put under this topic.

And we wonder as a community why people get angry with the way they are treated here.

I have been on this board for a while now, and I have never given out false advice or been a part of the rumor mongering.

But please understand......

If I were a developer, and I were under an NDA, and I had tested software which was supposed to be released this week, and it would affect others in a community that I knew and cared about, I would do EVERYTHING in my power to not break an NDA, but gently let people know that they should take alternative measures to prevent problems with a device that they know and love. Especially those who are new to said device and don't know as much about it as some of the "old timers"....

To quote John Cusack from Con Air

"Is that clear enough for you, or do I have to write it in Crayon?"

Cheers!

Robert
    Couldn't have said it any better myself.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Personally, I think testing out the work of the WebOS Interenals guys is worth the effort. At worst, I'll apply the Dr and move on.
    And that may be fine for you, but what about the others who don't know as much as we do.....
    I likey take apart thingies....
    he got double spy super secret agent telling him aupt is not safe.. Well we should believe him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Budgetmedic View Post
    I have my launcher pages finally set up the way I want them! Can I at least leave those patches?
    I've doctored my phone and removed the Name Launcher Pages and Add/Delete launcher patches, yet the pages beyond three remained and when you reinstall Named Launcher pages or whatever, all the names appear back over the correct pages without having to rename them. Unsure about other launcher patches, however.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Hmm, I smell a bit of paranoia. If you have good reason to warn people away, provide good information. That's all there is to it. Otherwise, I'm going to happily leave my patches in place. And know what? If I have to Dr. it, that's fine. You keep saying how much easier it is to just remove the patches, but it's not exactly hard to Dr. the phone.
    Why all the worry?
    So.... How long do I have to remove my patches if this is true?

8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by stubbs View Post
    Hmm, I smell a bit of paranoia. If you have good reason to warn people away, provide good information. That's all there is to it. Otherwise, I'm going to happily leave my patches in place. And know what? If I have to Dr. it, that's fine. You keep saying how much easier it is to just remove the patches, but it's not exactly hard to Dr. the phone.
    Why all the worry?
    As I said multiple times in this thread....it's more for the newbies who DON'T know what is going on, more than us "old-timers"
    Why can't anyone around here give good advice without having their motives doubted?
    Probably because your post didn't come off as "advice".

With a thread titled "Urgent", and a directive to do things your way "or else" without any evidence, how can you expect anything less than the response you've received?

I, for one, will be leaving my patches in place and giving the AUPT a test with the new update. If it doesn't work, I have the good ol' Doc to fall back on.

A recommendation is one thing, an order is something else.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts

And we wonder as a community why people get angry with the way they are treated here.

I have been on this board for a while now, and I have never given out false advice or been a part of the rumor mongering.

If I were a developer, and I were under an NDA, and I had tested software which was supposed to be released this week, and it would affect others in a community that I knew and cared about, I would do EVERYTHING in my power to not break an NDA, but gently let people know that they should take alternative measures to prevent problems with a device that they know and love. Especially those who are new to said device and don't know as much about it as some of the "old timers"....

Cheers!

Robert
    I'm sorry, but from your first post I could tell this is what you meant. Cmon people. Does he have to spell it out for you. He tested the 1.4 update with AUPT and it must have caused him some errors that required doctoring.

I will just run EPR and update as you suggest. Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers!

Robert
    Quoting John Cusack makes you lose all credibility lol
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I'm sorry, but from your first post I could tell this is what you meant. Cmon people. Does he have to spell it out for you. He tested the 1.4 update with AUPT and it must have caused him some errors that required doctoring.

I will just run EPR and update as you suggest. Thanks for the heads up!
    hey look someone actually paid attention and receives help well.
    As I said multiple times in this thread....it's more for the newbies who DON'T know what is going on, more than us "old-timers"
    Yeah you should of said that before jumping on everybody like we was all wrong. I had stuck patches and themes and stilll haven't went to the doctor. Because I know all the things I need to run to fix the problems but new users don't.
    Ok, I am a newbie I guess. But even I have researched the upcoming update and have made the (un)informed decision to just remove all patches before I update. Other newbies will make their own decisions based on the information out there. Not to say I don't appreciate your thread, but your information is....well....kind of a non-information thread based on nothing substantiated. How would that help anyone?

You do not have to give us your resource, or tell us anything secret. But if this is just a thread to warn people to better be safe than sorry, then call it that.
    And that may be fine for you, but what about the others who don't know as much as we do.....
    I'd say that anyone that doesn't know how to apply WebOS Doctor, shouldn't be applying patches. Neither one is particularly difficult.

I would also repeat, nothing wrong with jumping in with your opinion about what should be done, but I personally feel your method is wrong.
    I understand that's what you've said in the thread; but that's not what your initial post said. Your initial post has implied that we should all ignore what WebOS Internals folks tell us, and trust your unnamed source.

I'll pass.
    i was a nnoob a couple of months ago, and in my excitement and haste i downloaded some patches without seeing the warnings to remove before updates. 1.3.5 came out and i downloaded and my pre bricked and i had to doctor my phone and start over.. now i am afraid to use homebrew... a warning like powerbytes would have been greatly appreciated back then... so thank you powerbyte.

i am mainly concerned with homebrew because my work takes me away from home and my computer for 3 weeks at a time and if something happens i would be stuck with a phone that doesnt work and no way to fix it.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    the man is trying to help, and some of you want more info, and to know why. This forum is quick to jump on someone, but not so quick to say thanks for the info. He can't say how he knows this and shouldn't have to. This is a forum not a court. Sure I get it, its more for new guys who only have a few patches and don't really know how to use the doctor if there is a problem, but the guys with 50 plus patched, they know how to use the doctor and well, it would just be easier to to chance it hope it works. Stop jumping all over the guy and just say, Thanks man, thanks a lot.......
    I take this advice as someone who has downloaded 1.4 with patches and had some problems. He is more or less sayin ' wink wink' remove the patches. I get it man.
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by dhunt21 View Post
    the man is trying to help, and some of you want more info, and to know why. This forum is quick to jump on someone, but not so quick to say thanks for the info. He can't say how he knows this and shouldn't have to. This is a forum not a court. Sure I get it, its more for new guys who only have a few patches and don't really know how to use the doctor if there is a problem, but the guys with 50 plus patched, they know how to use the doctor and well, it would just be easier to to chance it hope it works. Stop jumping all over the guy and just say, Thanks man, thanks a lot.......
    I have edited the OP and this should more accurately express what I was trying to say in the first place.

I have also requested that Milominderbinder change the title of this thread. So we shall see.

Cheers!
    Robert
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast