Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 138
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    Not so much....we'll just leave it at that....
    Ok, can you give us at least a hint as to why we should pay credence to your post?

    (I only have 9 patches and will remove them anyways, but still.....)
  2. #22  
    Auto-Update Patch Technology - WebOS Internals sounds good and promising to me.
  3.    #23  
    Jeepers guys, why can't you just be smart and do things the old way?

    I've been posting here for a long while, I'm not some 1 post troll or lurker.

    I'm just trying to help people out.

    That being said, do whatever the heck you want to do, and good luck with it.

    Cheers!
    Robert
    I likey take apart thingies....
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    Jeepers guys, why can't you just be smart and do things the old way?

    I've been posting here for a long while, I'm not some 1 post troll or lurker.

    I'm just trying to help people out.

    That being said, do whatever the heck you want to do, and good luck with it.

    Cheers!
    Robert
    I don't think anyone is saying that you aren't trying to help, but I would love to know what the information you have is that suggests there is a problem.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    Jeepers guys, why can't you just be smart and do things the old way?

    No worries, at least you warned them. Every single WebOS update since patches were invented have caused people to brick their Pre's. 1.4 wont be any different. The only thing that bothers me about it is that people blame it on Palm when their the ones who brought it on themselves by hacking their phones.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    Jeepers guys, why can't you just be smart and do things the old way?

    I've been posting here for a long while, I'm not some 1 post troll or lurker.

    I'm just trying to help people out.

    That being said, do whatever the heck you want to do, and good luck with it.

    Cheers!
    Robert
    Be smart and do things the old way? How about be smart and do things the easy way? Wasn't that the whole point behind AUPT?

    You shouldn't start a thread like this without giving some kind of evidence that AUPT will fail and we should remove all patches. What if hundreds of people remove everything for no reason due to this?

    So, is this your opinion? Or have you already experienced something and know this to be fact?
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    Jeepers guys, why can't you just be smart and do things the old way?
    You're right ... no need to question your authority! Someone wants to know a little more of the details on your "intel" and you harpoon the guy.

    You say you don't have access to the early release, therefore you must not be under NDA, so please, feel free to spill your guts!

    You say your are just trying to help, but all you are doing is spreading FUD -- that, my friend, is no help.
  8. #28  
    so should we use preware or quick install to remove the patches or webOS doctor to give it a clean slate?
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Be smart and do things the old way? How about be smart and do things the easy way? Wasn't that the whole point behind AUPT?

    You shouldn't start a thread like this without giving some kind of evidence that AUPT will fail and we should remove all patches. What if hundreds of people remove everything for no reason due to this?
    If I could give evidence, I would....but I can't. I'm just being told that due to some patching issues with 1.4 it should be approached with caution. It's not that hard to remove all the patches with EPR, do the update, and then reinstall them.

    Pain in the rear? Yes!

    Easy? Yes....and no.....

    Why can't anyone around here give good advice without having their motives doubted?
    I likey take apart thingies....
  10. #30  
    All I will say is that you should listen to powerbyte and remove the patches, please don't ask me questions as to why. Be smart, removing them and installing them again is allot easier then having to doctor your entire phone.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by soxfan2003 View Post
    so should we use preware or quick install to remove the patches or webOS doctor to give it a clean slate?
    I personally would just use the EPR patch from Preware.

    Go to LIST OF EVERYTHING under Preware......start typing the word EMERGENCY and the EPR (Emergency Patch Removal) will come up. Chose it, install it, and Viola......fini!

    Robert
    I likey take apart thingies....
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    All I will say is that you should listen to powerbyte and remove the patches, please don't ask me questions as to why. Be smart, removing them and installing them again is allot easier then having to doctor your entire phone.
    Thanks!
    I likey take apart thingies....
  13. #33  
    No regrets. No removal.

    HUZZAH. Long Live AUPT O_o

    EDIT: +1 for guy above me... taking time to reinstall patches is longer than a doctor.
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    All I will say is that you should listen to powerbyte and remove the patches, please don't ask me questions as to why.

    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    I'm just being told that due to some patching issues with 1.4 it should be approached with caution.
    OK, so there is mounting evidence, and I understand that you may not want to divulge your sources, which is fine.

    But, please answer me this question: Obviously you are being told by someone who has access to 1.4 and has experienced problems -- perhaps it is even being discussed in the forums on Palm's site for early access. But, why would the webOS Internals guys not be saying the same thing that both of your are saying?
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    You're right ... no need to question your authority! Someone wants to know a little more of the details on your "intel" and you harpoon the guy.

    You say you don't have access to the early release, therefore you must not be under NDA, so please, feel free to spill your guts!

    You say your are just trying to help, but all you are doing is spreading FUD -- that, my friend, is no help.
    I wouldn't say I harpooned the guy.....that's a little harsh, don't you think?

    I liken it more to when I tell my children not to eat too much candy or else they will get an upset tummy.....they don't listen and they get the upset tummy.....

    I don't scold them for eating the candy, but the learn the lesson without any real danger being posed to them....just a crazy sugar high, and a night with an upset tummy....

    You don't want your Pre to have an upset tummy do you? So why not make it stop eating candy on Wednesday night? Or today?
    I likey take apart thingies....
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    If I could give evidence, I would....but I can't. I'm just being told that due to some patching issues with 1.4 it should be approached with caution. It's not that hard to remove all the patches with EPR, do the update, and then reinstall them.

    Pain in the rear? Yes!

    Easy? Yes....and no.....

    Why can't anyone around here give good advice without having their motives doubted?
    Quote Originally Posted by dkotoric1 View Post
    All I will say is that you should listen to powerbyte and remove the patches, please don't ask me questions as to why. Be smart, removing them and installing them again is allot easier then having to doctor your entire phone.
    I agree it's definately not hard to remove all patches and install them after the update. But I would prefer to not spend all that time downloading and installing them if it's unnecessary. It would actually take longer to remove and reinstall 50+ patches than it would to Doctor.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    I agree it's definately not hard to remove all patches and install them after the update. But I would prefer to not spend all that time downloading and installing them if it's unnecessary. It would actually take longer to remove and reinstall 50+ patches than it would to Doctor.
    I understand your concern but trust me just remove the patches this time. Take all this info as thankfull information and don't always argue with people that are trying to help.
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by powerbyte View Post
    ...
    We don't need people leaving the Pre/Pixi community becuase they are underinformed (is that a word?). Especially for a problem that wouldn't happen if they just follow the "old way" of removing their patches BEFORE they update.

    Cheers!
    Robert
    We also "don't need" rumors started because of some double-secret inside information (your unnamed "intel").

    You said "I'm just being told that due to some patching issues with 1.4" source would be nice. A listing of the "issues" would be nice as well.

    Maybe it would have been more fair if your post had simply said that the AUPT is untested, and might cause problems. Not questioning your motives, just your method. "Unnamed sources" and implying that anyone that doesn't do it the "old way" is less than smart... well, I think you doth protest a bit too much.

    Personally, I think testing out the work of the WebOS Interenals guys is worth the effort. At worst, I'll apply the Dr and move on.
  19. #39  
    I have my launcher pages finally set up the way I want them! Can I at least leave those patches?
  20.    #40  
    Love all the useless tags that have been put under this topic.

    And we wonder as a community why people get angry with the way they are treated here.

    I have been on this board for a while now, and I have never given out false advice or been a part of the rumor mongering.

    But please understand......

    If I were a developer, and I were under an NDA, and I had tested software which was supposed to be released this week, and it would affect others in a community that I knew and cared about, I would do EVERYTHING in my power to not break an NDA, but gently let people know that they should take alternative measures to prevent problems with a device that they know and love. Especially those who are new to said device and don't know as much about it as some of the "old timers"....

    To quote John Cusack from Con Air

    "Is that clear enough for you, or do I have to write it in Crayon?"

    Cheers!

    Robert
    I likey take apart thingies....
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions