Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What is up with Google Maps? It has been progressively getting worse and slower. It takes forever to start up. When doing a search, it will (eventually) pop up with the location I was looking for on the map and then switch over to my current position without me telling it to. Don't usually have to hit the blue button to make it go to your current location? Also, the scrolling is really eratic, it goes further than you want and it seems to have a mind of its own. The biggest problem besides the speed is that many times after the map has loaded, the "busy donut" circle thing will show up, then the screen turns white, and that's all it will do....I have to relaunch Google Maps again to try again.

It just seeme like a horribly buggy app, and I think it started ever since Google last updated it about a month or so ago.

Am I the only one with these problems, or is the a common occurrence. I know one thing for sure though, if you want to show off your Pre to your iPhone and Android buddies, don't open Google Maps, at least not on my Pre!
    I've been having problems with Google maps too, at first it says I'm across the street, after the latest update it says I'm a block away. Also it doesn't work when I'm away from home, so what is it good for anyway.
  3.    #3  
    I hope updating to 1.4 will magically fix all those issues....it's a pain to use lately.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    I don't use Google Maps all that much, since I mostly use Sprint Nav for driving directions, but mine seems normal.
    The google maps app is updated server side, so it's not really a palm thing.
    i'm having similar issues as well. it started several weeks ago for me. i use googlemap a lot so i noticed the change in behavior. i don't know if the first update to 7.6 broke it, but the recent update to 7.8 hasn't fixed the problem either.

just curious though... which patches do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    What is up with Google Maps? It has been progressively getting worse and slower. It takes forever to start up. When doing a search, it will (eventually) pop up with the location I was looking for on the map and then switch over to my current position without me telling it to. Don't usually have to hit the blue button to make it go to your current location? Also, the scrolling is really eratic, it goes further than you want and it seems to have a mind of its own. The biggest problem besides the speed is that many times after the map has loaded, the "busy donut" circle thing will show up, then the screen turns white, and that's all it will do....I have to relaunch Google Maps again to try again.

It just seeme like a horribly buggy app, and I think it started ever since Google last updated it about a month or so ago.

Am I the only one with these problems, or is the a common occurrence. I know one thing for sure though, if you want to show off your Pre to your iPhone and Android buddies, don't open Google Maps, at least not on my Pre!
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Me tool, GM has gotten very buggy.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts

Totally agree , same exact issues for me. The app image rendering is snail like.
  9.    #9  
    I have no patches at all, no homebrew, no preware, no nothing. Just stuff I got from the App Catalog.
    completely useless for me when i needed it
    Google Maps was definitely a letdown on this phone after having a WinMO phone. Can't imagine they are doing anything that couldn't have been done in a "native" app retrieving images from their servers. Hopefully they will put together something better. I'm hoping in one hand...
  12.    #12  
    There was a story on Precentral about Google neglecting webos, basic idea is, supposedly there are apis missing.....

http://www.precentral.net/does-googl...-not-there-yet

Hope Palm does something about that, because currently, we definitely have the crappiest version of Google Maps.
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Recently Google maps have been crap. Why use Google Maps when you've got Sprint Navigation?
    There was a story on Precentral about Google neglecting webos, basic idea is, supposedly there are apis missing.....

http://www.precentral.net/does-googl...-not-there-yet

Hope Palm does something about that, because currently, we definitely have the crappiest version of Google Maps.
    For an article written this year, I'm surprised it didn't mention the PDK as an option. If it works for games, it should work for Google Maps. I'm sure there are drawbacks, but it's a thought until shot down.
  15.    #15  
    Because I like the map view in Google Maps better than in Sprint Nav. If I have to go to a customers house, but just forgot the general area where they were located, it's just easier for me to take a quick look where the address was instead of starting Sprint Navi. I do use Sprint Navi all the time for when I am going to a customer I have never been to.
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I wish Bing or APPLE(yes APPLE of all the people) would come up with a maps app for WebOS. Google is running away with it for now. It has become a big deal on all the platforms. I am sure APPLE doesn't like it.
    The Google Maps App has been a weak point since day one for WebOS, in my opinion.

I don't have too much trouble with the map view only, other than slow loading and taking a bit too long to get a decent GPS fix... but trying to use the satellite view for anything is an exercise in frustration. The scrolling/zoom is awful, and frequent resets back to your current location make it pretty much worthless.

I don't use the App very often; usually I just use it as a quick way to find the closest location of a particular business. Because even as slow as it is, it's easier to use than Where, or Yelp when I know exactly what business I want. Once I have the address, if I need directions, I'll use Sprint Navi.
    Last edited by Spader; 02/22/2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Can't Spell
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Google Maps on my GSM Pre in India absolutely sucks...Never shows the exact location...never! useless when you really need it
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreMium View Post
    Recently Google maps have been crap. Why use Google Maps when you've got Sprint Navigation?
    You live in Canada? GM has been slow for me too.
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    Yeah. Google maps on WebOS is horrible. Even my blackberry curve had a better version. Come on, google. Give us an ACTUAL CLIENT, and not this crappy all server side POS garbage.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast