1.    #1  
    Hi,
    I've been hearing the same old thing about making sure you let your battery drain before charging, but according to a quote from the palm pre official site:

Palm Support : Palm Pre O2 - My battery drains quickly

''Unlike with some older rechargeable batteries, charging your battery often does not reduce battery performance over time. In fact, it's good for your battery to keep it charged rather than letting it become drained before recharging''

Is the above correct? or are palm just saying that because they know the battery isn't very good and want us to keep charging the device, or want us to buy the touch stone etc...

Also, does the touchstone charge the palm pre at the same speed as the standard plug would?
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    What your referring to was a common problem called battery memory. It affected older NiCd and in lesser amounts NiMh batteries.

The new Lithium Ion (Li-ion) batteries used in cell phones do not suffer from battery memory. They actually work longer if they are partially discharged and recharged. You can actually negatively affect the battery when it is completely discharged.
  3.    #3  
    omg i didnt know that i used to let it drain!!!

fanx so much for letting me know....thank god i have only ever charged it 3 times like that though
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    its also not recommended to keep it charged at 100% for a longer time
    isn't there some sort of "conditioning" period for a new Li-Ion battery where it should be drained a little more?
  6.    #6  
    hmmm really? there should be an application that notifies us when the battery is fully charged...
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    The internal charging mechanism is smart enough not to overcharge the battery. Once the battery is charged, the current goes to running the phone and just trickling the battery to prevent discharge. Your fine as long as you don't leave it plugged into the charger for days on end, causing the battery to sit at 100% almost all the time. You see this problem in laptops when they are used at a desk for a long time and never put to battery.

What it comes down to is, just don't worry about it. Charge the battery when it gets low, use the phone, etc. Li-ion's are pretty resilient compared to the batteries of yesteryear.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    isn't there some sort of "conditioning" period for a new Li-Ion battery where it should be drained a little more?
    This site has a lot of great information on batteries.

Charging lithium-ion batteries

The short answer is no, there isn't really a conditioning period. Conditioning is a left over from NiCd or NiMh.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    At the measly cost of battery for the Pre (an extended battery will run you about $45) I wouldn't be concerned with this. At all.

I ordered a new MacBook Pro last week (I should have it by Wednesday!) and one of the reasons I wanted it, aside from being a hell of a lot more portable than my iMac, was the uber long battery life. I was wondering the same thing because I'd like to keep the 7 hour laptop battery for as long as I can. Replacements for that run about $150.

I'm going to go ahead and be nonchalant about it though and just give it a normal treatment. I'm going to guess that manufactures have taken such things into consideration when designing the battery and they must have implemented something to remove the need for us to become obsessively compulsive about how/when/where we charge our batteries.
    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeMSD View Post
    Your fine as long as you don't leave it plugged into the charger for days on end, causing the battery to sit at 100% almost all the time.
    The Pre's battery does not sit at 100% all the time on the charger. It will drop to 94% before the charging kicks in again. If you install the "show actual battery percent" patch, it will show you that.

The stock Pre's battery meter will show 100% any time the battery is between 94 and 100%.

See this post by the author of the Battery Monitor app for more information.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    although completely discharching the battery is advised once every month or two to recalibrate the batterymeter in the phone. or laptop. or w/e
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    The Pre's battery does not sit at 100% all the time on the charger. It will drop to 94% before the charging kicks in again. If you install the "show actual battery percent" patch, it will show you that.

The stock Pre's battery meter will show 100% any time the battery is between 94 and 100%.

See this post by the author of the Battery Monitor app for more information.
    Does that mean leaving it on the touchstone is all gravy? Thats pretty cool how I need not worry about the phone's battery anymore! I was obsessive about it lol, i would let it hit 100% make sure i unplugged it before going to bed waiting for it to drop below 20% and then charging it back up again.

not anymore, thanks to this thread! Thank you all!
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    OH! No one answered the second question the thread starter asked!

"Also, does the touchstone charge the palm pre at the same speed as the standard plug would?"

I would also like to know the answer to that, Thank you all once again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    Does that mean leaving it on the touchstone is all gravy? Thats pretty cool how I need not worry about the phone's battery anymore!
    Yeah, I put the Pre on the touchstone before going to bed and take it off in the morning. Sometimes, if I use it heavily during the day, I'll put it on the touchstone for an hour so so when I get home from work. Weekends when I sleep in, I have no worries about leaving it on longer than normal.
    Global Posts
    177 Global Posts

"Also, does the touchstone charge the palm pre at the same speed as the standard plug would?"

I would also like to know the answer to that, Thank you all once again!
    I think I read on precentral that charging on the touchstone is negligibly slower then just plugging it in. I think the difference is that it takes 2.5 hours to charge fully on the TS and about 2 hours plugged in.

It's been awhile since I charged via the ac outlet but I think the touchstone charges almost as fast as just the ac outlet by itself. If there is any difference, it's negligible.

Now charging via your computer's USB port is much slower than the touchstone or ac outlet. In fact, if your battery is almost completely drained you should use the ac outlet or the touchstone to charge it.
    and if you use a usb cable to charge in the car its alot slower than using the sprint version car charger as well . the usb cable is just plain slow unless plugged into an outlet lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->