Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Ok, I have an upgrade coming in April and can't decide what to do. I have a droid right now and really like. I love that I can customize the heck out of it. With my upgrade, I can't decide if I want to upgrade to a nexus 1 or a pre plus. I work @ vzw and know all the differences between the phones (physical keyboard, os...) so here is what I need, ...sell me on the pre plus. I've posted a similar thread on android forums to get there response. Thanks.
    If you are really happy with your Droid, why do you come into a Palm Pre forum asking people to persuade you to get a Pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by rotz055 View Post
    Ok, I have an upgrade coming in April and can't decide what to do. I have a droid right now and really like. I love that I can customize the heck out of it. With my upgrade, I can't decide if I want to upgrade to a nexus 1 or a pre plus. I work @ vzw and know all the differences between the phones (physical keyboard, os...) so here is what I need, ...sell me on the pre plus. I've posted a similar thread on android forums to get there response. Thanks.
    You shouldn't have to be sold on anything. My recommendation is to just be a leader and not a follower. If you work for VZW you should have plenty of time to try out the different phones to see which one suits you best.
    Last edited by mjkjr; 02/23/2010 at 07:51 PM.
    im new with the forum and a new owner of a pre plus. i was thinking of getting the droid. i didnt like the key board cuz i one hand text. i love how with preware you can change everything in your pre. i love my pre and try to convert droid people to pre people. i also have a friend at verizon and he has a droid and he now is getting a pre. i also like how my pre fits in my pocket. i can tell u anything about the droid cuz i never used it. the best thing about being a pre owner is this forum. the people here are awsome and very helpful. there is alot of great post and info on everything u can do with your pre, and its changing everyday. good luck with your new pre lol.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    One word, WebOS
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    I am having the same quandary. I have a Palm Centro and am trying to decide between Pre Plus and Nexus One. I really want to stay loyal to Palm but the biggest obstacle for me is that I would have to pay $10 a month EXTRA for navigation on the Pre (VZ Navigator), but can get google navigation for free on the Nexus One. The lack of micro Sd storage on the Pre is the other main killer for me, but not as much since it has 16GB internal storage.

I wish there was some other way to get navigation on the Pre. I have TomTom on my Centro but if I'm going to upgrade phones, it's going to be one with built in GPS.
    You'll obviously have the opportunity to play with both. I haven't played with the droid, but have messed around some with the nexus one and htc hero. The nexus one was relly nice, but I just prefer webos to the android operating system. It's much more intuitive and user friendly. From what I can tell though android has more apps, webos is really starting to get the quality apps (3d games, epocrates, etc). Overall the user experience is just much better with webos imo. I would definitely recommend webos to a new smartphone user, but couldn't say the same for android -- just not user friendly enough imo. However, if you know you're way arounds phones, you'd probably be relatively happy with either OS...also check out this video demonstrating multitasking with 50 cards then going back to n4s!!

http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-p...tasking-mayhem
    Last edited by kkumar99; 02/23/2010 at 07:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by njperry View Post
    I am having the same quandary. I have a Palm Centro and am trying to decide between Pre Plus and Nexus One. I really want to stay loyal to Palm but the biggest obstacle for me is that I would have to pay $10 a month EXTRA for navigation on the Pre (VZ Navigator), but can get google navigation for free on the Nexus One. The lack of micro Sd storage on the Pre is the other main killer for me, but not as much since it has 16GB internal storage.

I wish there was some other way to get navigation on the Pre. I have TomTom on my Centro but if I'm going to upgrade phones, it's going to be one with built in GPS.
    I rarely use my sprint nav! I always use google maps! more efficient and less annoying.
    But I agree Web OS This is a slick phone my GF has an Iphone, the only thing they have is more apps... otherwise I think the Pre is the best phone out there, and is only going to get MUCH better!
    Quote Originally Posted by njperry View Post

Google maps on Pre can give you a north oriented moving map display and you can get text directions with your intended route highlighted on the map. Good enough for the few times that I want navigation.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    yeah like most said, you prob had a chance to play with the phone, so you have to use your own judgment. I would look at the phone and which ever one caters to your everyday life better, is the one you should get otherwise most people of course on this forum will tell you all and only the positives about the pre, just like a android forum will do for their nexus one feel me.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rotz055 View Post
    FYI!
    Google Android's self-destruction derby begins | Mobilize - InfoWorld
    As with anything, I believe it depends. I'd first start out with questions like:

- What is your purpose for having a phone?
    - What is it that you like to do with your phone?
    - What would you do with your phone if you could?

Next I would use that information and see how it applies to both operating systems - how do each handle things differently? Certainly there's the multitasking that works really well with WebOS (you can see on youtube how the Pre Plus can open 50+ cards), but there's also the user interface. I know when I pick up the Droid, I feel like I'm using a linux desktop. When I pick up the Pre, it's a totally different feel. The UI is much more intuitive as well as appealing, on the Pre. (at least for me)

Yes, you'll find hardware issues with both phones (all phones in fact). I've heard numerous reports about the nexus one as I have with the Pre plus, but aside from hardware, I just feel like the OS on the Pre took more time to develop and it looks that way.

The other thing I really like is the swiping. I like how I can swipe an alert away. I like how the alerts can be minimized on the bottom (missed calls, txts, emails, etc) for later viewing. It's very smooth looking when it happens as well. I like how the back-swipe takes me to the previous screen or menu. I also like how setting one option in the settings menu will allow me to swipe applications - full screen much like the Droid Eris, without having to minimize the cards. I love the UI interface of dragging the toolbar up, from the bottom of the screen, when I am using an app and I then need to open another app. I can just drag my finger up from the bottom and select a new app from the toolbar without having to close or minimize the one I'm in. I also like how flicking the card up makes it close. I enjoy the calendar app and how it manages all my different calendars in one view. I love how I can do the same with email. The pre combines all the email to one page so I can select which email from which site to view or I can view all my emails in one inbox; and when I reply to that email, it automatically knows which email to send it from.

I think there's so many things that marketing lost when they advertised the Pre. This phone is a "sleeper". If this phone had more apps (which is coming very quickly BTW), I can't see a reason why anyone would want the iPhone. Personally, I really couldn't see what the iPhone has over this right now, aside from apps....
    OH! And how could I not mention the "Over the Air" updates for my OS? The Pre automatically downloads the new OS while I am doing something else and when it's done it then automatically installs a new OS! The fact that Palm has also shipped multiple upgrades of their OS each year - not every year or two. And good luck if your phone is no longer supported by the operating system!

I love how there actually is only 2 devices FROM Palm - not other manufacturers. This is key because developers don't have to finagle with their code to work on multiple flavors of phones. Simply develop your app and it will work on WebOS. I've heard nightmares from developers on Android because some apps don't work on some phones....

Yea - thanks mobags for that link - that's what I was referring to....
    I like the "sleeper" comment. thats exactly how i view palm. Everytime I see an iphone, i think of how dated it looks, in and out. just my opinion.
    I think 2.0 webOS will involve the pdk with many of Palm's core apps. As well as fleshing them out more. This should raise the speed of the UI up as well.

If Palm can put out some equally compelling hardware, then they can still rebound.

Getting some google services running natively would be huge for them too.

As it is though, the poor build quality of the Pre combined with no backup or app desktop mgmt will keep me away.
    I did leave out Synergy in my last post, but that's a whole discussion in and of itself. That is, being able to combine all your contacts into one database. If I need to contact someone, I just type their name in and a menu will appear on how I can contact them - email, txt, facebook, call, etc. It grabs all the information from all the different sites that the contact is on. So if there's a home number on one site and a work number on another site, Synergy will combine the two and offer me a choice on which one to contact that person with. However many options I have for contacting that person, I am presented with it at that time.

2 min video comparing droid and pre.