1.    #1  
    After several months with the palm pre, being involved in the community, playing with some app ideas and working with devs, and testing out other OS's. I can make a much better set of observations about webos, where it is, and where it needs to be for success.

First off the os itself is the best base OS out. Multi tasking and getting places is easy. With osx life is also easy, however the OS does have a bland homescreen, menu's are a bit oversized and outdated and it lakes freedom. Android on the other hand is a much better competitor as it's apps can access core materials, and is so easily customizable. Yesterday I bought my mom a moment and even though it does have some issues (apps keep closing) I'm impressed at how easy it was to have a different sms app, how easily it was to customize things and some of the features the current webos phones couldn't do (barscanner app on android is awesome!) Every app has a customizable tone, emails can individually get their own tone, ect. Very customizsable. I also like widgets and the amount of apps with notifications including severe weather alterts! However it's not easy as pie like the pre. Aside from gestures, the pre is extremely easy to use. Everything is well placed, and closing open apps is easy. However hardware was 100 times better and keyboard, while takes some getting used to is cool, though i do like landscape better and would prefer a 3.5 inch display with a better landscape keyboard and build in virtual one with haptic

Here are the problems i believe are holding back some features of the pre (important ones that are fixable on current models). First of, and formost is this "pdk". Currently apps are only written in web language. This is ok for some apps, however for a variety of apps, including even the stock apps, it limits the functionality. Take google maps for instance. Compare this to a few other phones, and it just lacks so much. No street view, latitude, saving bookmarks, no saving to contacts, even scrolling is very stiff and doesn't have that webos sling to it. you can't tap on pins and get a little pop up, or hold to see the adress, it's just watered down. I also strongly believe that we do not have a sprint visual voicemail due to this as well. Feature wise the apps lack options such as categories, better customization of notifications and sometimes function odd. Our nav app is not as updated as the nav app on the moment which has a much nicer UI, and landscape support. (though I am not sure if this is due to sprint just ignoring the pre on this, or the software. Also the apps in the app store that are worthless are piling up, and while i give all devs credit, when i say worthless I mean it with love. I am refering to apps like soundboards and backgrounds and quotes and several other apps which don't really provide a function that really grabs people. It prevents apps like tape recorders, ringtone editors, other sms apps, other web browsers (though i think ours is the best so far!) and many apps which would need access to the hardware.

Another thing I'd like to see is better control over notifications, such as giving all apps the ability to chose tones for notifications and preventing overlaps so that longer tones can be chosen. In apps with multiple accounts (messaging and email for example) one could chose seperate tones per account) I'd like to see speed increased via gui, and possibly some sort of widget on the main screen though it is no where near important as the previous. I'd like to see a lot of the patches implemented including multple pages and named pages, led notifier, and several others. More syncing options and a good facebook app which utilizes the integration which the pre is capable of. A much more detailed photo app would be appreciated with multiple subfolder support, captions, tagging contacts, and uploading which would include the tags if you have that contact on desired site as well as the caption. also a palm note app which would allow for uploading to blog sites or facebook notes ect. (as i said, using more of webos for facebook functions would be nicer then everything simply being in the app.) facebook chat obviously would be nice in messaging app as well. Would also like to see a gradient to the default scrim, as it is the only part of the os which feels windows 95 like. (maybe near white fading to light grey rather then just plan grey. in the same presentation as the app catalog)

Form wise i think an aoled screen slightly bigger with better keyboard and solid materials would be greatly appreciated along with a camera with a (if possible) more digital camera-like flash, and higher res camera with auto focus, to go a step further i'd like the auto focous to be touch focus or a double press button on the side of the phone (like digital cameras which display green shooting area when ready then you press all the way down) yes asking for too much here sorry lol.

Overall more features, better native support, and better build quality with auto focus cameras would really bring webos up. I love webOS and would love to see it grow and be successfull as well as let me do what I want to do with my phone.

What do you guys think? anything I missed? agree with what I believe it needs?

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    I think a high powered developer phone running webOS would be awesome. It would be good to lure developers in as well. It seems the current trend is hardware hardware hardware.
    The tl;dr version of your post being, Palm need to further improve webOS and release a new, sturdier device. Amen to that.

What I don't understand is how emotional some people here react to the notion that Palm could be bought by a larger company. Maybe that would be best for all involved? Palm could only work on webOS while the other, hardware company builds handsets - and both sides would have much more money and resources at hand than Palm does now, caring for both sides of product development.

Imagine a world where Dell buys Palm. Dell Mini 5 powered by Palm webOS, anyone? How much would YOU pay for that? I'd give my firstborn.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    The tl;dr version of your post being, Palm need to further improve webOS and release a new, sturdier device. Amen to that.

What I don't understand is how emotional some people here react to the notion that Palm could be bought by a larger company. Maybe that would be best for all involved? Palm could only work on webOS while the other, hardware company builds handsets - and both sides would have much more money and resources at hand than Palm does now, caring for both sides of product development.

Imagine a world where Dell buys Palm. Dell Mini 5 powered by Palm webOS, anyone? How much would YOU pay for that? I'd give my firstborn.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I think history would show that Palm being owned by another company as a parent-subsidiary is a very bad idea.

The Original Palm Pilot & Palm OS are possibly the most revolutionary products designed in the past decade... possibly longer! Palm was highly a successful Mobile Solutions provider and the leader of the time, dominating over Microsoft's Pocket PC OS and others OSes like Psion.

Unfortunately, all the dramas involving its parent company's (US Robotics and then 3Com) overly smothering control style, served nothing more than a distraction and unwelcome distraction to Palm's innovation efforts and its desires to build on the Palm Platform. This is one of the reasons why Microsoft was able to catchup to and eventually surpass Palm.. when Palm was supposed to be improving the Palm OS and adding new features, it was engaged in political battles with its parent company.

I'd hate to see history repeat itself.

Sure, if Palm was a retained as a separately software only entity under a takeover arrangement, it might help WebOS to develop quicker, but don't forget, the entire Palm experience involves both aspects of design - hardware and software. Since the original Treo, Palm has managed to bring some nifty hardware innovations to the table such as the famous "smile" qwerty keyboard and the ringer switch. Palm also has the ability to design some truly beautiful hardware - Palm Treo Pro / Palm Pre. It would be a shame if Palm were swallowed up and their hardware design capabilities jettisoned.

That, and also, I think that even if Palm were to be kept as a separate software arm of a larger company, Palm's freedom in design would be dominated as the larger company would have its own views on the direction to take.

I acknowledge the fact that Palm is under a lot of pressure due to HR and financial constraints, which as you point, is weighing down the development of the WebOS Platform.

I think the best possible outcome for Palm is for it to receive further private equity funding (a la Elevation Partners), so that it can continue to plug along doing its own thing. Under the guidance of Jon Rubenstein, I think Palm has the ability to become the next Apple.

BUT it's so very important that they release on networks such as AT&T / T-Mobile, and maybe even an unlocked version of their phones. I'm sure people from all over the world would be more than willing to pay good money for a GSM Pre / Pixi. I myself have a GSM Palm Pre here is Australia, and am loving it!

Another thing that Palm needs to do, is to expand its product base. I think now is the time to release a Foleo II Netbook, before the netbook market becomes any more saturated!

If Palm had to merge with a hardware manufacturer, I'd rather see a joint venture arrangement be established, with an ODM such as Compal or a circuitboard manufacturer such as MSI / ASUS / Gigabyte. This way, Palm would almost be certainly be left to its own to roam creatively on the software side, and the joint venture could leverage the economies of scale offered by the ODM.

Having said that, if any phone company were to buy Palm, I'd like to see HTC having a crack!!! They make amazing devices.. Most likely contenders however, would be Nokia and LG / Samsung.

I think the reason why people get so emotional about Palm is become the company had so much potential, but has been relegated to pretty much last place due to in-fighting and a bit of complacency. Windows Mobile has got to be the worst designed piece of software in history, but somehow it managed to overtake Palm OS. People view Palm as an underdog, and genuinely want it to succeed.
    If Palm partnered with Asus or Acer on a Tablet it's OS would make the iPad look silly. It would give them a new market that seems fit to explode. They would not have the Apps or Books to start but WebOS's gestures would translate to any size screen very nice. They need a harware manufacturer to become a partner, someone just looking to make Palm's exclusive phones, tablets, etc. This would give them much needed investments and keep their designs in the products.