Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Word on the street is that Palm's software engineers researched the entire list of webOS complaints and will soon be solving everybody's demands, complaints, bugs, missing features, search problems, hardware issues, lagginess, calendar nightmare, glitches, etc.

The new Pre 2 coming out later this year, AKA C40, will be The Perfect Solution. It will look like a Pixi on steroids, sport a new GUI, and be powered by, what else; palmOS!!!

Leastways that's what I heard. Anybody else hear that?
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    Not me
  3.    #3  
    Please, don't force me to insert a winky emoticon.
    My PDA history: ditched pre and upgraded back to the Treo 755p, Palm PRE, Treo 755p, 650, 600, TMobile Pocket PC, Visor Platinum, Kyocera Palmphone, Treo 300, Visor Silver, Ipaq H3600, Orig Handspring, and various and sundry other early iterations of PDA's.
    I also heard that it takes wrinkles out of dress shirts, hypnotizes attractive blond women (not brunettes unfortunately), and will allow users to hold the device up to walls to use the screen to see through them. But the battery is still an issue so... meh.
    What I want on the C40 / PRE2:

1) 480 x 320 res screen or higher
    2) Treo 755p keyboard
    3) web os
    4) Strong, fast, enhanced PIM apps
    a. memo should be robust
    b. calendar should be snappy
    with no delay

5) 5 way navpad would be very, very nice. Blend it with the multitouch interface of the pre

6) hardware must be solid. no sliders

7) very fast processor

8) battery life should equal the treo 755. exceptional battery life on that phone.

9) The copy and paste of the treo

10) Ability to tap a photo from within the web browser and add it to the camera's library.
    Basically, if they blend the best features of the treo - keyboard size, comfort & battery life with the best of the iphone - the high res screen, people will snap this phone off the shelves like crazy. one handed nav combined with the capability of performing multitouch swipes if desired would be a fantastic solution.

I truly hope this is what they have up their sleeves.
    I have not, and its not polite to start rumors :P

Anyways, I don't think that would be a great idea if they are reverting back to PalmOS instead of growing from webOS. They've spent so much money and time on it, that it will pretty much throw the early adopters under the bus. I don't mind a Pre2 with webOS and all the fixes.

That is if I'm understanding you right. Did you mean webOS and not palmOS?
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I heard Palm is going to be the first to release a WiMAX phone (Palm Treo 4G) and it will be based on Ti's new Dual Core OMAP4 processor including WVGA capacitive touch display; HDMI output; 20 megapixel camera; and a suite of sensors including accelerometer, compass, ambient light, proximity, barometric and temperature sensors, together with multiple digital microphones, stereo speakers and audio outputs as well as Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth and FM functionalities.
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    I heard Palm is going to be the first to release a WiMAX phone (Palm Treo 4G) and it will be based on Ti's new Dual Core OMAP4 processor including WVGA capacitive touch display; HDMI output; 20 megapixel camera; and a suite of sensors including accelerometer, compass, ambient light, proximity, barometric and temperature sensors, together with multiple digital microphones, stereo speakers and audio outputs as well as Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth and FM functionalities.
    and a quad core chip with a holographic screen and built in frickin movie projector... as well as miniature ****zu dog whistle....

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    dog whistle....
    ...for dogs with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc View Post
    ...for dogs with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!
    Sharks are better.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    and a quad core chip with a holographic screen and built in frickin movie projector... as well as miniature ****zu dog whistle....
    It could happen! All those spec's were copied and pasted from the Texas Instruments website. BTW, the movie projector thing could be included as well
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    It could happen! All those spec's were copied and pasted from the Texas Instruments website. BTW, the movie projector thing could be included as well
    And it'll cost more than a Macbook Pro.
    Well, I guess the Centro is the closest thing to your description. Your signature confirms you as a PalmOS fan. What can I say? I do agree that PalmOS 5 is still king of PIMs and responsiveness
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by groovdafied View Post
    Did you mean webOS and not palmOS?
    No, I really did mean palmOS. I was trying to make A FUNNY, but a truthful one. If you never used palmOS you can't even comprehend how much FASTER and more effectively it opens apps, does searches, renders pdfs, jpgs, gifs, computes, switches between apps, plays video/music, reboots, etc., than webOS.

PalmOS is leagues ahead of webOS in: universal search of entire database, calendaring, private sync, webpage copy/paste, universal 'undo,' sms, tasks, cursor and text navigation, memos, on-the-fly note attachments, documents, video/audio recording, voice dialing, visual voicemail, tethering, custom reminders/alarms/notifications, battery performance...the list could go on and on.

The point of my initial, but now unfunny, post is that if palmOS were to be launched today, and promoted on performance, efficiency, speed, and stability, it would be seen as an upgrade to webOS. Millions of palmOS users expected webOS to have at least palmOS's performance, efficiency, stability, and speed, but wrapped up in a beautiful GUI with purty cards 'n stuff.

Even though the old palmOS didn't promote with the catchy "multi-task" buzzword, it could have. It's actually just as fast, and often faster, than webOS. Right now, I'm typing this post on my pda, while listening to my music via bluetooth, while answering incoming sms texts, doing database searches, taking photos, editing appointments on my calendar, one-handed, and switching from application to application faster than webOS, faster than an iPhone, and more easily than a droid..... on my Treo (palmOS). Seriously.

I don't know what company out there will eventually do it, but the company that copies the functionality and speed of the best Personal Information Management product ever made, palmOS, and merges it with the GUI of an iPhone, webOS, or Android, or some new GUI, will become what Palm once was; THE market leader. As in terms of greatest amount of market share. A lot of people think Apple has done that. Not even close. Apple's iPhone market share finally, just last year, reached that elusive 10%. Just 10% ! !

Palm was the world smartphone market share leader just 3 1/2 years ago, with a commanding market share four times larger than Apple's. Now, of course, Nokia is the big gorilla of the smartphone market, holding that 40% position, followed by RIM.
    Is your name Jason Calacanis?
    Quote Originally Posted by prebulls View Post
    Is your name Jason Calacanis?
    sounds like the classic tricorder to me . Been around for a while now.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    What I want on the C40 / PRE2:

1) 480 x 320 res screen or higher
    2) Treo 755p keyboard
    3) web os
    4) Strong, fast, enhanced PIM apps
    a. memo should be robust
    b. calendar should be snappy
    with no delay

5) 5 way navpad would be very, very nice. Blend it with the multitouch interface of the pre

6) hardware must be solid. no sliders

7) very fast processor

8) battery life should equal the treo 755. exceptional battery life on that phone.

9) The copy and paste of the treo

10) Ability to tap a photo from within the web browser and add it to the camera's library.
    Basically, if they blend the best features of the treo - keyboard size, comfort & battery life with the best of the iphone - the high res screen, people will snap this phone off the shelves like crazy. one handed nav combined with the capability of performing multitouch swipes if desired would be a fantastic solution.

I truly hope this is what they have up their sleeves.
    numbers 9 and 10 can be done already lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xpdnc View Post
    No, I really did mean palmOS. I was trying to make A FUNNY, but a truthful one. If you never used palmOS you can't even comprehend how much FASTER and more effectively it opens apps, does searches, renders pdfs, jpgs, gifs, computes, switches between apps, plays video/music, reboots, etc., than webOS.

PalmOS is leagues ahead of webOS in: universal search of entire database, calendaring, private sync, webpage copy/paste, universal 'undo,' sms, tasks, cursor and text navigation, memos, on-the-fly note attachments, documents, video/audio recording, voice dialing, visual voicemail, tethering, custom reminders/alarms/notifications, battery performance...the list could go on and on.

The point of my initial, but now unfunny, post is that if palmOS were to be launched today, and promoted on performance, efficiency, speed, and stability, it would be seen as an upgrade to webOS. Millions of palmOS users expected webOS to have at least palmOS's performance, efficiency, stability, and speed, but wrapped up in a beautiful GUI with purty cards 'n stuff.

Even though the old palmOS didn't promote with the catchy "multi-task" buzzword, it could have. It's actually just as fast, and often faster, than webOS. Right now, I'm typing this post on my pda, while listening to my music via bluetooth, while answering incoming sms texts, doing database searches, taking photos, editing appointments on my calendar, one-handed, and switching from application to application faster than webOS, faster than an iPhone, and more easily than a droid..... on my Treo (palmOS). Seriously.

I don't know what company out there will eventually do it, but the company that copies the functionality and speed of the best Personal Information Management product ever made, palmOS, and merges it with the GUI of an iPhone, webOS, or Android, or some new GUI, will become what Palm once was; THE market leader. As in terms of greatest amount of market share. A lot of people think Apple has done that. Not even close. Apple's iPhone market share finally, just last year, reached that elusive 10%. Just 10% ! !

Palm was the world smartphone market share leader just 3 1/2 years ago, with a commanding market share four times larger than Apple's. Now, of course, Nokia is the big gorilla of the smartphone market, holding that 40% position, followed by RIM.

As crazy as it sounds yes, I do agree. Yes yes, the WebOS in many respects surpasses the PalmOS in terms of features, but when you strip away the nifty new interface, pretty animations and Synergy functionality, you gotta admit, the WebOS is probably not as good at doing things as the PalmOS was. Sure, it was simple and feature lacking, but it was fast! And the simplicity was actually nice!

Like xpdn, I reckon if the Palm OS was to update the UI of Garnet OS, add Synergy-like functionality, build-in true multimedia support, 3G support and a webkit-based browser, they could seriously be onto a winner. Don't get me wrong, the WebOS is an elegantly designed OS, but I just don't really see the sense in having so much computing power in a mobile phone.... It sort of defeats the purpose and Palm's design goal ... simplicity.
    I've seen thread-jacking before but not like this. How did a humorous thread turn serious?

Now... I heard it was gonna have a built in cell tower so people around you can get a good reception as well as the ability to transform into an iphone so it will always be able to sync with itunes.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    "I don't know what company out there will eventually do it, but the company that copies the functionality and speed of the best Personal Information Management product ever made, palmOS, and merges it with the GUI of an iPhone, webOS, or Android, or some new GUI, will become what Palm once was; THE market leader"
    Could you be referring to Dmitry Grinberg's project? Check it out at his blog: http://dgosblog.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast