Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm surprised I could not find anything on this in the forums on the Pre. I did find that this was a problem with previous Palm devices, but none of that information was helpful, so here goes.
    I have found that if I take multiple calls on my Pre, I am stuck with either keeping both calls going forever, or choosing to "hangup all calls." Even if one of the people I was talking with hangs up, the line stays open FOREVER so no one else can call me.
    Let me try to explain in a little bit more detail. On my Pre, and everyone's by default, I have two lines (because you have call waiting). If both lines are used up, no one can call you, and you can't call anyone else, until the line is closed (hung up). (Well they can call you, but they'll go right to voicemail). On any other phone in the world, and on the Pre if you have only one call going, when the other person hangs up the line hangs up. But if there is more than one call going, the line stays open even if one of the people hangs up. If both lines are used and you try to make or answer a call, you get an error saying something like "no lines available" (it's been awhile since I got the error so I forget what it says exactly).
    So let's say I call someone. I'm talking to them, that uses one line. Now someone else calls me, activating call waiting, and I answer that call. That uses up line two. Now as long as they are both on there I can switch between the two and talk with them. (I could also conference them together, but let's not complicate things). However, I cannot hang up on either person. The only options I see are to "switch" between the two calls or "hangup all calls." There is no way to hang up on just one. So I ask one of the people to hang up since my phone won't let me do that (EMBARRASSING!), and they do, but the line stays open and the call does not go away. It looks like I still have them on the line, but I don't. And no one else can call me (including the person who hung up) unless I "hangup all calls."
    Hasn't anyone else encountered this? Is there any solution?
    i have, and it is really annoying. i hang up on all calls. after a few seconds it shows the other person calling you back, but in reality its just reconnecting you to the first person. they dont actually have to call u back
    I encounter this all the time, and it's a huge pain when I'm trying to coordinate with multiple people when I'm on the road.

As far as I know, it's not something that's been addressed by Palm or via a patch.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    i notice this too.. i just hate having the call sit there if its not active.. it just bothers me. so i will tell the person thats still on the line ill call them back just so i dont have that screen.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    Agreed this needs to be fixed... its kind of barbaric for a phone of its time!
    If you read the owners manual for the Pre (page 94 if I remember correctly) what you are experiencing is normal. Because this is a CDMA phone, when you are on 2 calls at the same time, there are only 2 ways to hang up. 1) Press the 'hang up' button to end both calls, or 2) ask one one of the callers to hang up on their end so you can continue the other call.
    **Sometimes it may take a bit for the second line to actually clear after that person hangs up.

Sorry... but those are the only options.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Stupid, dumb. What a basic function Palm should figure out. Unbelievable how the most simple functions are not working for a smart phone. Whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by 321contak View Post
    Stupid, dumb. What a basic function Palm should figure out. Unbelievable how the most simple functions are not working for a smart phone. Whatever.
    It is not a function that Palm hasn't figured out. This pertains to the limitation of CDMA, the type of network that Sprint and Verizon use. This same thing happened with my BlackBerry and other phones I used on Sprint in the past.
    hello mcfly? you there? Its a cdma limitation.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I jus mentioned this on palms facebook...and I also posted this in the patch forum...I HOPE TO HIGH HEAVENS a PATCH can be made for this!!!!!!! Where all my patch workers at!?!? Patch us up!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irocdaspot513 View Post
    I jus mentioned this on palms facebook...and I also posted this in the patch forum...I HOPE TO HIGH HEAVENS a PATCH can be made for this!!!!!!! Where all my patch workers at!?!? Patch us up!!!!
    I'm not sure how you think a patch is going to overcome a limitation of the CDMA technology. This problem has nothing to do with Palm at all.
    Yeah it is just that CDMA gets tied up with two lines open. It will allow you to take a second call, but it wont drop the first unless you end both. If you end both without switching back to the first then it will dial you back, without allowing the other person know you hung up on them. This is the same reason that you can't have a data line open at the same time as a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillJitsu View Post
    I'm not sure how you think a patch is going to overcome a limitation of the CDMA technology. This problem has nothing to do with Palm at all.
    awww man...damn it... It's all bad then huh
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Between this, not being able to easily switch phones (without calling sprint), and no concurrent voice/data, I'm a little annoyed. Can someone please list off some advantages of CDMA over GSM? Thanks.
    Sidekick Color > Moto MPx220 > HTC Typhoon > Moto Q > HTC Apache > HTC Hermes > HTC Tilt > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G > HTC EVO 3D

iPad 16GB WiFi > iPad 2 64GB WiFi
    i was just about to look for a solution on the forum for this problem...but i guess i found my answer. i was hoping there was an actual solution
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    "hello mcfly? you there? Its a cdma limitation."

Thanks Biff!
    Quote Originally Posted by geodim View Post
    Between this, not being able to easily switch phones (without calling sprint), and no concurrent voice/data, I'm a little annoyed. Can someone please list off some advantages of CDMA over GSM? Thanks.
    Umm... How about crystal clear phone calls everywhere you go? How about 3G data everywhere you go?? There's two right off the bat that GSM can't provide Americans.

CDMA > GSM; that's all there is to it. That's why 3G GSM is also known as WCDMA.

And BTW... you do not have to call Sprint to switch phones. You could go to www.sprint.com/activate or just login to sprint.com normally... or if you were really slick, you could just remember your MSL and then switch between phones whenever you'd like.

And how many times do you actually talk on the phone while using the Internet? The only way this is possible if you wanted everybody to hear your call on speakerphone... or you carried some headphones with you everywhere you went. It's really not a practical feature at all. If you want to talk on the phone while browsing the web on your Pre... you need two phones. One will not suffice for such a "commonly requested feature".

"hello mcfly? you there? Its a cdma limitation."

Thanks Biff!
    HAHAAAA!!
    I have been on Verizon and had a Treo/Centro for years. It did the same thing. But correct me if I am wrong; when you have two calls going, and one caller hangs up, yes, it still shows a call. However, if someone else calls you, it will ring and you can answer like normal for a second call.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I have been on Verizon and had a Treo/Centro for years. It did the same thing. But correct me if I am wrong; when you have two calls going, and one caller hangs up, yes, it still shows a call. However, if someone else calls you, it will ring and you can answer like normal for a second call.
    yea it'll usually beep as if the 2nd call ended and the line will click, as well as display the caller id as normal
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    This has been my experience as well. After about 30 - 60 seconds, the line is free and I have been able to take additional calls on the second line.

The Caller ID works and you can accept the call and place the 1st on hold and then merge if you want.

Happens to me everyday and is not a big issue. Been the same since I had my Treo 300.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast