Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterules View Post
    I was in a Verizon store today just waiting for my gf and noticed the Reps pushing Android and the Droid phones heavy. Actually a girl came in and was clearly interested in the Pixi and he just moved her along to the Droid phones saying how much more they offer and have way more going on. Not sure if this is just one guy really into Android, but if Verizon is pushing their sales team to sell Droids/Android, it will be hard for Palm to sell units. I mean at least be objective with what each phone offers, but this was a clear move to persuade someone not to buy a Palm. Not everyone does research before coming in to get a new phone and will more likely believe the so called experts. Just thought I would pass on my observation.
    Excellent thread Peterrules. Just gave you a thanks and a 5 star rating. Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention. Apologies to others who may have started similar threads; this one was the first I came across.
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rotz055 View Post
    Wow, thanks for that. I'm sure that all the vzw reps reading this (of which I am one) really appreciate that broad and moronic statement.

First off, no we don't get paid a penny more for pushing the droid over the palm. In fact, if we could sell the touchstone charger and stuff with the palm it would be more profitable for us to sell it.
    No, we are not told by our corporate overlords to push certain phones. Sadly, most reps, once you mention getting a smartphone just stop thinking and start drooling because it is an easy sale for them.

As mentioned before, you do sell what you know as a rep. Most of the reps in the stores jumped all over the droid once it came out and now that they own one that is what they are going to sell as they know the ins and outs of it and can answer any question thrown at them.

A returned phone reflects badly on a rep. One thing that people love about a phone is when it feels solid in there hand. The droid and the blackberry both fit this description well. They're tanks! No matter how biased you are toward the pre you know it is not very solid. The hardware on it is definitely it's downfall.

Also, many of the reps in stores remember the centro and the treo as the previous palm phones. For the average consumer these days, using those phones are like getting punched the face repeatedly. Those phones and the palm software from before left a bad taste in a lot of reps mouths. Does that mean that they should discount the pre? no, but it is understandable why they would avoid selling the new palm tho when, to be honest the droid works just as well for most people that are getting a smartphone.

One more point and then I'll shut up and prepare for the verbal beating I'm sure I'll be taking. As a rep, do you realize how many people walk in everyday saying "so when will ya'll be gettin' the iphone?...yuk yuk..." during nearly every smartphone consult I give the question is asked me how many apps are on the market for the phone. Do you realize the difference between saying 1500 and saying 20000 like on the droid marketplace? that's huge, quality aside (though unlike some of you believe the droid marketplace has many good apps,) when people think "iphone" they think apps, and the droid smokes the pre in that category.

there. my rant is over...

Please don't skip reading this just because it is long...

@rotz055

I for one am not going to give you any verbal abuse, no matter how much of a Palm loyalist I am. Here is why. Your post was well thought out and had the burning feeling of an uncomfortable truth.

The problem is that you are probably a rare breed of VZ reps that actually gives a hoot. The very fact that you are here on Precentral speaks volumes. I only wish more of your fellow colleagues did more research and didn't fall into the lazy column.

I gotta tell you though, despite all of the hardware issues with the Pre, the user experience is second to none. It is that experience that trumps everything in my opinion. The multitasking UI is stellar. It just changes the way you use the phone. The way I can type with one hand while riding the NYC subway everyday while those other smartphone users around me are struggling not to fall makes me chuckle. I have accounts on Exchange, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google. The way WebOS and its Synergy feature pulls these all in and dedupes them is very impressive and extremely useful.

The homebrew community, webos internals group and the frequent OS updates from Palm are real differentiators. The 3D games are sweet time passers. The camera is lightning quick. The touchstone charger is like magic.

I use the Pre equally for business (I am a traveling technology consultant) and pleasure (I am a gadget geek and father of 3 young ones). No other phone in my opinion strikes the right balance between these two worlds as much as the Pre.

The Droid's keyboard is aweful (keys are too wide apart), I can't ever tell which apps are running and which are icons very easily, the Droid's memory limit puts the kabosh on the app quantity advantage, and the UI is cumbersome and confusing. Here is another thread with insightful comments: Palm doesn't do everything the Droid does...

Please keep your fellow sales reps educated. All we are asking is for a fair shake. As you pointed out, it takes time and energy to learn a new phone OS and familiarity breeds favoritism -- that's natural. WebOS is well worth the effort. Once folks use it going back to all of the other smartphones makes their UIs all seem, well, primitive.

Thanks for listening.
    Last edited by rlopin; 02/21/2010 at 07:38 AM. Reason: fixed spelling error
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post

@rotz055

I for one am not going to give you any verbal abuse, no matter how much of a Palm loyalist I am. Here is why. Your post was well thought out and had the burning feeling of an uncomfortable truth.

The problem is that you are probably a rare breed of VZ reps that actually gives a hoot. The very fact that you are here on Precentral speaks volumes. I only wish more of your fellow colleagues did more research and didn't fall into the lazy column.

I gotta tell you though, despite all of the hardware issues with the Pre, the user experience is second to none. It is that experience that trumps everything in my opinion. The multitasking UI is stellar. It just changes the way you use the phone. The way I can type with one hand while riding the NYC subway everyday while those other smartphone users around me are struggling not to fall makes me chuckle. I have accounts on Exchange, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google. The way WebOS and its Synergy feature pulls these all in and dedupes them is very impressive and extremely useful.

The homebrew community, webos internals group and the frequent OS updates from Palm are real differentiators. The 3D games are sweet time passers. The camera is lightning quick. The touchstone charger is like magic.

I use the Pre equally for business (I am a traveling technology consultant) and pleasure (I am a gadget geek and father of 3 young ones). No other phone in my opinion strikes the right balance between these two worlds as much as the Pre.

The Droid's keyboard is aweful (keys are too wide apart), I can't ever tell which apps are running and which are icons very easily, the Droid's memory limit puts the kabosh on the app quantity advantage, and the UI is cumbersome and confusing. Here is another thread with insightful comments: Palm doesn't do everything the Droid does...

Please keep your fellow sales reps educated. All we are asking is for a fair shake. As you pointed out, it takes time and energy to learn a new phone OS and familiarity breeds favoritism -- that's natural. WebOS is well worth the effort. Once folks use it going back to all of the other smartphones makes their UIs all seem, well, primitive.

Thanks for listening.
    +1

I just stopped into a VerizonWireless store in Lawrenceville, NJ and found a few interesting things. The first is that there were 2 Palm Pre Plus units available to demo, as opposed to only one. The downside was that both were non functional. I was able to reset one of them and got it working again by rebooting. I had also noticed several people trying to use the phone without any luck. Shame because I really love the interface and the intuitive nature of the webos. ( I don't currently own one yet.)

While it was rebooting, I moved over to the Droid and Eros. The Droid was so clunky. The keyboard, even though it's bigger, had flat keys that didn't respond well. I preferred the form factor of the Eros but it too seamed chunky and clunky. Not as responsive to screen presses. Didn't like the on screen keyboard either. I guess after playing with the webos, I have a certain expectation as too how a phone should work, simply because it's so intuitive. It's slower in response but so smooth and logical.

After it rebooted, I moved back to the Pre and wished my upgrade date would arrive already. I noticed a customer asked about the Blackberry for business and the Verizon Rep pushed him towards the Droid, stating better this... better that... Blackberry's were built around business users and does very well at it. Frustrating. Oh well, took my frustrations out playing Destroids. What an awesome game!

I moved over to the other Pre that had a huge interactive display along with a Pixi, Storm 2 and a Droid. Slick. The Pre was dead on arrival though. Nothing I did could revive it. I moved over to the Pixi only to find the touch screen was possessed. I would press one button and several other touches would appear around the screen, like someone else was controlling it. I moved back over to the Droid and couldn't for the life of me get the screen to unlock. I guess the oil from fingers messes up the touch screen. So ultimately the only working phone in this interactive techno display was a the Storm 2. Specs are great, interface is horrible and have you ever tried browsing the web on a blackberry? The iPhone and Pre have spoiled me on how the web should work.

On a plus side, there were actually 3 Pixi's out on display. Verizon seams to be trying even if the reps aren't always (not including the gentleman above and those that are.) I mean, at least make sure the phones are working. How can you sell anything that isn't working. Reset the Palm units and clean the Droid screens. If a customer seams interested in a phone (any phone), it should make that sale that much easier.

Thanks for reading. Rant over...
    In my area I have always had to seek out Palm products. Before DROID they pushed Blackberry.
    Customer: "Do you have the Palm ____ "
    REP: Blather, Blather, Blather.
    Customer: "Palm ___, please"
    REP: D'okay
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    Um.... so the pre is available in uk,france,spain,mexico,canada and a few other countries as of right now, the "new palm" has made huge inroads to its global buisness as opposed to the "old palm". They are more international and have moved quicker than ever before. Was the centro ever sold outside of the US?
    The Palm rep I talked to in the Philippines said she used a centro.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    I actually like Sprint reps more than Verizon reps.
    Me too, since I found out about Preware & precentral.net from a Sprint rep!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    Me too, since I found out about Preware & precentral.net from a Sprint rep!!!
    Heh. So did I. Thank goodness for him! Also, the repair techs at my Sprint store who have Pres also use Preware/WOSQI and P|C. Yay Sprint.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post

@rotz055

Thanks for listening.
    +1 Great! Totally agree.
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterules View Post
    I was in a Verizon store today just waiting for my gf and noticed the Reps pushing Android and the Droid phones heavy. Actually a girl came in and was clearly interested in the Pixi and he just moved her along to the Droid phones saying how much more they offer and have way more going on. Not sure if this is just one guy really into Android, but if Verizon is pushing their sales team to sell Droids/Android, it will be hard for Palm to sell units. I mean at least be objective with what each phone offers, but this was a clear move to persuade someone not to buy a Palm. Not everyone does research before coming in to get a new phone and will more likely believe the so called experts. Just thought I would pass on my observation.
    I just talked to a friend who got the moto droid because the verizon rep told her that the Pre Plus had 16mb of ram and didn't intergrate with google products such as the calendar and gmail. I got a little ticked and am thinking of saying something to palm to let them know the false specs verizon sales staff are spreading around about there very capable phone. I told my friend that I have a Palm Pre on sprint and the phone kicks ****, has 256ram on sprint and 512ram on verizon and intergrates with almost all google products and to not forgot she can return her droid in 30 days and get a pre
    Quote Originally Posted by blu8503 View Post
    I just talked to a friend who got the moto droid because the verizon rep told her that the Pre Plus had 16mb of ram and didn't intergrate with google products such as the calendar and gmail. I got a little ticked and am thinking of saying something to palm to let them know the false specs verizon sales staff are spreading around about there very capable phone. I told my friend that I have a Palm Pre on sprint and the phone kicks ****, has 256ram on sprint and 512ram on verizon and intergrates with almost all google products and to not forgot she can return her droid in 30 days and get a pre
    Palm won't be able to do anything. Call the verizon store she bought from and tell the person's boss. Don't even have to mention which employee, just that they are not selling the right specs.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    Palm won't be able to do anything. Call the verizon store she bought from and tell the person's boss. Don't even have to mention which employee, just that they are not selling the right specs.
    she bought it online but was talking to a verizon rep, which I am assuming is part of their online support
    Every Verizon store in my state where I have stepped foot in, has never pushed the Palm Pre Plus at all, except for one technician in PA. However, the ONLY reason why he was favoring the Pre Plus is because he came from Sprint and used to own the Pre! In fact, he had purchased a Droid since coming to Verizon but after using the Pre again on the floor, he was really missing it.

While the proclaimed Verizon reps on this message board state that there's no difference for them selling any items and that it's based on familiarity, I'm very skeptical on that, although not completely disbelieving. My issues are further reaching as to why Verizon has made so many "MOM" commercials for the Pre and yet so many "MANLY" testosterone based commercials for the Droid. Let's not forget the stealth fighter commercials they had weeks before it's release... and what did Verizon do when they released the Pre? Nada.

Even this past week, I just saw an ad on CNN.com for the Pre and Verizon and it was the mom one. Droid gets the "bare knuckle bucket of does" and Palm gets "it can keep up with moms".

I think it's about time Verizon changes their perception on the Palm Pre and trains their staff on what the phone can do.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234