Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    My daughter recently went to our local Sprint store to buy a Pre, she said the salesman told her the Pre was not worth buying and told her she should buy a Blackberry. Being the BLOND that she is she bought the Blackberry. Even though she knows or should know that I know more about the different phones than most of the sales people that work in these stores, she didn't bother to ask.
    When I bought mine from Verizon, I walked in I told them I was interested in the Pre, no other phone was even mentioned. The main tech who helped me transfer my data from my Treo also had a Pre. I will say that I think their people have had very little training on the Pre. I knew more about it and the accessories than most of them did.
    I dont understand why Reps would be so biased. Each phone offers something different. sure the droid offers more apps, but that means nothing if you have no space to put them (without a hack and memory card). And besides, the apps that sell are going to be there regardless of the platform. It all has to do with the individual and their particular needs/wants. I really like WebOS because not only is it original, but its also very smooth. I was just swayed towards the HTC hero on account of the build quality.

I just still creep around these boards because I'm very interested to see how WebOS evolves.
    The Centro was sold in dozens of countries.
    I had the same experience at the vz store, told them I was excited about the pre+ release and 3 different employees all pipped in "we just had training on that, why would anyone want that phone? it's confusing and horrible and palm is a terrible company with a terrible reputation, the droid is the best phone ever... blah blah blah"

one of them also said, "if you're really into that tho, we do have other phones with windows mobile, which is what the pre uses"

sad commentary.

oh and sprint reps aren't much better - the sprint rep here told me that the Pre could run all the iPhone apps and if I wanted to learn how to install them "just google it"
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snowplow54 View Post
    I dont understand why Reps would be so biased.
    Because Verizon trains the reps to be that way. Verizon owns the Droid brand name so they want everyone to have a Droid because Droid = Verizon. They are trained to push the Droid on everyone, even if they come in looking for a specific phone.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    when I got my pre plus on launch day I walked in and the verizon rep asked if I needed help and I said I'm here foor the pre. The rep asked if I wanted to mess around with it first and I said no it's ok I don't have time. So the rep said ok and brought me over to the counter to purchase....she didn't try t talk me into any other phone so I guess it's diff with every rep and she knew even knew how to work the pre with no prob.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdmogren View Post
    I had the same experience at the vz store, told them I was excited about the pre+ release and 3 different employees all pipped in "we just had training on that, why would anyone want that phone? it's confusing and horrible and palm is a terrible company with a terrible reputation, the droid is the best phone ever... blah blah blah"

one of them also said, "if you're really into that tho, we do have other phones with windows mobile, which is what the pre uses"

sad commentary.

oh and sprint reps aren't much better - the sprint rep here told me that the Pre could run all the iPhone apps and if I wanted to learn how to install them "just google it"
    Ugh. Just ugh. I just can't wrap my head around these vacant reps. WM= WebOS??? Ugh. WTHell????
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    "Stupid is what stupid does", guess this saying applies to Verizon's salesman, lol....
    Wow, thanks for that. I'm sure that all the vzw reps reading this (of which I am one) really appreciate that broad and moronic statement.

First off, no we don't get paid a penny more for pushing the droid over the palm. In fact, if we could sell the touchstone charger and stuff with the palm it would be more profitable for us to sell it.
    No, we are not told by our corporate overlords to push certain phones. Sadly, most reps, once you mention getting a smartphone just stop thinking and start drooling because it is an easy sale for them.

As mentioned before, you do sell what you know as a rep. Most of the reps in the stores jumped all over the droid once it came out and now that they own one that is what they are going to sell as they know the ins and outs of it and can answer any question thrown at them.

A returned phone reflects badly on a rep. One thing that people love about a phone is when it feels solid in there hand. The droid and the blackberry both fit this description well. They're tanks! No matter how biased you are toward the pre you know it is not very solid. The hardware on it is definitely it's downfall.

Also, many of the reps in stores remember the centro and the treo as the previous palm phones. For the average consumer these days, using those phones are like getting punched the face repeatedly. Those phones and the palm software from before left a bad taste in a lot of reps mouths. Does that mean that they should discount the pre? no, but it is understandable why they would avoid selling the new palm tho when, to be honest the droid works just as well for most people that are getting a smartphone.

One more point and then I'll shut up and prepare for the verbal beating I'm sure I'll be taking. As a rep, do you realize how many people walk in everyday saying "so when will ya'll be gettin' the iphone?...yuk yuk..." during nearly every smartphone consult I give the question is asked me how many apps are on the market for the phone. Do you realize the difference between saying 1500 and saying 20000 like on the droid marketplace? that's huge, quality aside (though unlike some of you believe the droid marketplace has many good apps,) when people think "iphone" they think apps, and the droid smokes the pre in that category.

there. my rant is over...
    Personally, I hold no brand loyalty whatsoever. I think all of the smartphone OSes are great and if there's something dislikeable, they can all be infinitely customized thanks to the homebrew community. In the end, my choice comes down to hardware and price and the Droid has the Pre beat on hardware.
    Sprint FrankenPre 2
    webOS 2.2.4
    Verizon donor
    I had the same experience. Asked about palm pre and the rep told me that the pre sucks and I should get a droid instead. I asked if he'd ever used a pre (since they had none in the store) and he said no. Palm HAS to do something about this or they'll sell zero phones on verizon.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Yeah I agree sales reps dont know what they are talking about lots of times, i went to the sprint store today to get a replacement pre, and i asked the guy if he knew if the new pre would be updated to 1.3.5 already(because last time i replaced my phone, my contacts didnt sync right because the versions were different and i ended up losing some of my contacts), He said "yeah everything should be fine, but i didnt really trust his answer so i signed in with a dummy profile to make sure the version was the most recent one, and what do you know, its at 1.3.1. Then he took my phone and looked to see if my contacts had transfered correctly and you should have seen his face go white when he only saw two contacts.LOL, of course then i told him and walked out of the store.
    Quote Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
    Because Verizon trains the reps to be that way. Verizon owns the Droid brand name so they want everyone to have a Droid because Droid = Verizon. They are trained to push the Droid on everyone, even if they come in looking for a specific phone.
    I think you are correct. Verizon has been on a long and hard slide, losing customers to ATT, the iPhone, and other cheaper services like T-mobile and Sprint. When Pre came to Sprint last year...I was on Verizon with my Palm Treo 650 and I had no hesitation getting my Pre. Sprint was hopping with sales reps and the lines were long for Palm's new device.

Now Verizon has the Droid and they can finally hold their heads up high after multiple failures coming from BB (Storm 1 and 2), WinMo, or otherwise. The Droid isn't that bad, but it is not a Pre or Pre Plus for that matter.

I also think their big problem relates to the Droid no longer getting the big headlines like when it first came out last year. Android phones are a dime a dozen and all over the place...so the Droid is just another cell phone in a pool of overflowing Android offerings. I suspect WebOS 1.4 will help out tremendously, adding Video, Faster Calendar, Flash, etc...till then it just has Less Features to a sales rep and it is all about SALES...

Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by jakerome View Post
    The Centro was sold in dozens of countries.
    Thanks!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    I went into a Verizon store today in Central Florida and asked about the Pre +. The rep gave me an odd look and started to explain that the phone wasn't very good. I interupted him to show him my Sprint Palm Pre on my hip and let him know I was just interested in comparing the devices. He then asked how much I was paying for my plan and informed me they couldn't come close to the price so I left. I think I'd rather Palm had chosen at&t as their second partner for the Pre as Verizon seems to be burying it.
    I do know that Sprint does push Palm but not as much as Verizon pushes Droid. My Sprint Store when the Pixi cam out had a contest of who could sell the most Palm devices and the winner got a free Pixi.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Yes this is old news popping up in many threads. For some insight and a bit of a paradigm shift mike2128 posted this:
    Here's my two cents. I am a sales rep who absolutely loves his Palm Pre Plus and I've turned a few people onto webOS who had no idea it existed (surprisingly all moms ... hm.) It's frustrating to me to see this platform launch on VZW with such negativity on both sides of the fence. After skimming through this thread, I have some insight on both ends.

As a consumer who is obviously read-up on webOS and it's advantages, it certainly would be frustrating to have someone whose job it is to be an expert either claim ignorance or outright push you away from it. I know that I've seen my co-workers come up with some initial sour reactions to the product. I'm not liking see this thread (and similar threads on other forums) with this re-occurring theme of anti-Pre sales people. I understand you guys' frustration.

Here's what I've witnessed on my side of things. As reps for years we had 3 OS choices, but really, we knew and loved 1 thing: Blackberry. The phones just don't get returned, the OS never changes, and they're an easy sell on name-brand alone. Everyone had RIM down to a tee and could BBM in their sleep. On the other end, Windows Mobile never sells and if it does, it comes back.

Then there was Palm. Poor, poor Palm. Treo after Treo would come and go, plagued by intermittent power issues, incomplete wakeups, involuntary soft (and, eek, hard) resets. Charging ports busting. Reception issues. The Centro was no better. So after a while we just didn't carry Palm. At all. They had developed a terrible reputation for warranty related issues and customer dissatisfaction.

Since the iPhone came out, it had been the same thing every single day of my life: 'when are you guys getting the iPhone?,' 'it's a shame, I really want an iPhone,' 'I'm going to at&t for an iPhone!!!1' Phones came and went that were hailed as our "iPhone-killer" and just didn't live up to hype. (Voyager, Dare, Storm 1, etc...) So when something DID come along (the Droid) that actually satisfied a lot of the desires those customers (and employees) were looking for, everyone really kind of latched on and took it to heart. Rave reviews and exclusivity made it an indispensable tool to counter iPhone envy.

But it was also a whole new OS to learn ... which for employees who tend to get stuck in their ways (having the same conversation a couple hundred times a week can do that to you), can be a bit of an undertaking. 3 months later and everyone knows, loves, and praises the Droid. It's the new go-to phone. Blackberry still holds up, but Droid is the new frontier!

So when we get a notice saying, (speaking in generalities of course, I never had issue myself) 'ya, remember Palm? Those guys who made your lives and your customers' lives hell for the last few years? Well they're back again...' people tend to step lightly. Also taking into consideration that, on paper at least, the device is inferior (smaller screen, lower res, lower camera, smaller keyboard, thicker design, plastic build). Finally ... we just had to learn a whole new OS 3 months ago after not learning anything new at all for years! Now we have this other one coming in?

Sure, Sprint reps may be more familiar with the phone/OS. They've had the phone since June and it was their flagship phone. They didn't have much else to really push at the time of launch. Verizon has had it for 3 weeks ... 3 months after its biggest flagship launch of all time ... after 8 months of semi-regular communication of how to sell against the Pre for its short-comings and after x amount of years of bad Palm reputation.

I'm happy that Verizon has this lineup now. I think it provides customers with something that had been lacking: real honest to goodness choice. I'd say give it some time and let things develop. Upper management, I'm sure, knows that Palm has a fighting chance or they wouldn't be carrying the devices and devoting retail space to it.
    I believe eventually the cream will rise to the top and the cream is WebOS.
    Last edited by vza33; 02/22/2010 at 08:48 AM.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3721 View Post
    I went into a Verizon store today in Central Florida and asked about the Pre +. The rep gave me an odd look and started to explain that the phone wasn't very good. I interupted him to show him my Sprint Palm Pre on my hip and let him know I was just interested in comparing the devices. He then asked how much I was paying for my plan and informed me they couldn't come close to the price so I left. I think I'd rather Palm had chosen at&t as their second partner for the Pre as Verizon seems to be burying it.
    That's how Verizon has been for years. They know they can't compete with Sprints rates but will try to shift topics to get their potential customer's heads around their "network" ideals. Fell for it once, not going to again. Sure they have a lot of towers, but their actual service, phones, and support sucks. At least Sprint is working on 4G and has better rates.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3721 View Post
    Why do you think AT&T would be any different, I bet you dollars to donuts that AT&T reps will bash the Palm Pre while pushing the iPhone.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john3976 View Post
    Why do you think AT&T would be any different, I bet you dollars to donuts that AT&T reps will bash the Palm Pre while pushing the iPhone.
    Yup,
    PALM has to do it until it gains brand reputation.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast