Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Hello guys, was wondering if anyone ever tried to hook up palm pre to VIrgin Mobile in Canada?
    You think its possible?
    Well, I have heard of a couple of resourcesful people that managed to get the Sprint Pre somewhat working on Verizon, so theoretically, it's possible. No data or SMS, though. Not completely, that I know of, though. Not a SIM phone, so you're going to have to wait until somebody like the Dev Team comes up with an unlocker patch.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Would you know where can I find a thread of those resourceful people?
    Google Pre CDMA unlock.
    I am not sure earlier comment correct as I believe the HP Pre 3 introduced in Europe is SIM card based
    Quote Originally Posted by 0xel View Post
    Hello guys, was wondering if anyone ever tried to hook up palm pre to VIrgin Mobile in Canada?
    You think its possible?
    Virgin Canada is reselling GSM service on Bell Mobility. They do have a SIM card for "bring your own phone" and it should have the frequencies needed for any GSM webOS phone with a North American release. Your phone must be unlocked first. If it isn't try Dogbert's Method linked in my signature.

I punched in the IMEI number from my Veer into their site and they said that was a go.

<edit> I was on my tablet last night and research is more cumbersome... I will add that Virgin Canada is operating on UMTS 850/1900 MHz bands.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 09/25/2012 at 10:34 AM.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Well, I have heard of a couple of resourcesful people that managed to get the Sprint Pre somewhat working on Verizon, so theoretically, it's possible. No data or SMS, though. Not completely, that I know of, though. Not a SIM phone, so you're going to have to wait until somebody like the Dev Team comes up with an unlocker patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Google Pre CDMA unlock.
    Those are frankenpre phones and into involves swapping a comm board from a donor phone. That operation does the OP no good.

There is NO unlock for CDMA phones really. Those carriers use ESN numbers off the phone comm board to authenticate access and it is rare to get one carrier to accept another carrier's phones.

<edit> I was on my tablet last night and research is a bit more cumbersome... So there might be reprogramming efforts that can unlock a CDMA device - However there is still the carrier policy to fight. They most likely will only enable a branded device they have sold.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 09/25/2012 at 10:36 AM.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinReid View Post
    I am not sure earlier comment correct as I believe the HP Pre 3 introduced in Europe is SIM card based
    What Pre 3???

What Europe???

Mobile Nations Devotee