1.    #1  
    I just bought a Mobile Broadband card from Sprint because I'm being transferred to Portland, Oregon for work and they have 4G coverage and I'm going to use it as my main source of internet once I get there.

Will a tethered pre run just as fast as a mobile broadband card from your carrier on 3G? (i know the card will be much faster on 4G) but is the card optimized to run faster on 3G or would they be about the same? Just curious.
    The Pre tethering speeds won't be fast as a card even if they are both on EVDO (3G). The card is optimized for hard core use while the Pre is optimized for normal use. If money isn't a problem for you and you are enjoying your card, keep it. This might be different when the next Pre phone comes out because it will most likely be one of the first 4G phones on Sprint.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  3.    #3  
    Thanks man. That is what I kinda figured. Like I said the main reason I got it was for the 4G coverage in Portland so I'm keeping it regardless.
    The only problem with the broadband card is that it has a limit of 5gigs a month. If you pass that, your speeds get severely cut back. A tethered Pre technically has no limit, but it's still not advised to go over 5 gigs in a month.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    The only problem with the broadband card is that it has a limit of 5gigs a month. If you pass that, your speeds get severely cut back. A tethered Pre technically has no limit, but it's still not advised to go over 5 gigs in a month.
    how hard would you say it'd be to go over 5gigs in a month with just regular surfing, watching youtube etc?? Not torrents or anything like that.

Again this is moot once I get on 4G as that is unlimited.
    As long as you don't download alot, you should be fine. I also wanted to point out that the 4G card also has a 5gig/month limit.
  7.    #7  
    As long as you don't download alot, you should be fine. I also wanted to point out that the 4G card also has a 5gig/month limit.

Thats not what Sprints website says when you purchase the card. It clearly states 3G would be 5gigs and 4G would be unlimited. I will call Sprint to confirm though. If what you say is true than I'm not sure I could use this as my main source of internet.
    Tethering also requires a seperate data plan. Even if the phone is capable, you have to have a mobile broadband plan, which has the 5 gig limit. I called to ask awhile back, my 800w came with the connection sharing software in WinMo (why Sprint didn't remove or disable it, I don't know) and that's the answer I got. Note that the broadband I'm talking about is seperate from the unlimited phone data you get with your calling plan.
    As far as I know, 4G is unlimited. However, if you go over 5gb a month, they throttle your speed heavily.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Tethering also requires a seperate data plan. Even if the phone is capable, you have to have a mobile broadband plan, which has the 5 gig limit. I called to ask awhile back, my 800w came with the connection sharing software in WinMo (why Sprint didn't remove or disable it, I don't know) and that's the answer I got. Note that the broadband I'm talking about is seperate from the unlimited phone data you get with your calling plan.
    That's not true. You can tether with the Pre for no additional cost. Just don't abuse it though. I also just read that Sprint is putting a cap on the "unlimited data" that comes in phone service packages.
    Yeah, I did do some tethering with my old phone, had to wait for a replacement modem, never heard anything about it, but I didn't peg the 5GB mark, either. Just passing on what the accounts folks told me. The cap being discussed is the same 5GB, which really doesn't surprise me. They've been having a hard time explaining why you need two data plans when your phone is not only capable of acting as a modem for your laptop, but you have unlimited data on your plan already. I've only managed to hit 1GB once, so I'm not too worried about it.
    It's also the same with the Pre. If you read the fine print on the Sprint Everything plan, the 'Unlimited Data' is actually limited to 5GB. If you go over, they can choose to charge you extra but they will most likely not do anything.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Data Usage Limitation (Mobile Broadband Cards, USB Modems, Embedded Modems and Phone-As-Modem): The amount of data transmitted over our network is measured in kilobytes (KB), megabytes (MB) or gigabytes (GB). Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred; and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if usage either exceeds (a.) 5GB/month in total, unless specified otherwise or (b.) 300MB/month while off-network roaming. 1024KB equal 1MB. 1024MB equal 1GB.

Except with Phone-as-Modem plans, you may not use a phone (including a Bluetooth phone) as a modem in connection with a computer, PDA, or similar device. We reserve the right to deny or terminate service without notice for any misuse or any use that adversely affects network performance. Availability of downloadable or streaming content is subject to change, including but not limited to television channels and radio stations. If user is not subscribed to a data included plan or add-on, pay-as-you go charges are incurred when using data applications and services.

My plan currently has no data restrictions, as long as it's coming from my phone and network ID. Using it as a tethered modem isn't allowed, if I want that, I need a mobile broadband plan with the 5GB a month cap.

Note that they did state they'll only take action if you're abusing the network, though.