1.    #1  
    Hello everyone! First and foremost it is AWESOME to have such an intelligent community when owning a Pre!

Now I will admit, alot of the things I want to do for my pre are like a different language for me, even after reading many of the threads, suggestions...the pre is very intimidating! But in time hopefully I will get the hang of it.

Here is my question..I would like to install some themes...etc to my pre,. I just recieved my pre and when I go to the update Icon it says "1.3.5.1 is now available and will download over the next couple of days..." etc. But then there is a download now tab at the bottom. Does it download/update by itself or should I download now?

Also Can i install preware WITHOUT having the newest update?

Im sorry if my questions seem ignorant and would VERY much appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
    Hello mate & welcome.

Whether or not you press the download button the update will automatically install next time you reboot your phone - you can hack your phone to force it not to install new updates automatically but I thoroughly recommend that you do install them for more features & a faster phone.

Preware certainly can be installed on an old firmware, but there's really no good reason to do this.

Good luck & I hope you enjoy your phone
    if you wait, it will eventually download and install on its own. If you want it now, and not wonder when it will install, click the download now button.

As for Preware, it can be installed on any version.

welcome aboard!!
  4.    #4  
    So would you advise to go ahead and install preware? Id love to be able to get some themes, apps etc..

And thanks for responding! I know how message boards are sometimes, especially with noobs

Aside from texting and surfing web I ams somewhat ignorant when it comes to smartphones, but I have LOVED the pre since it launced and finally convinced myself to by one. I want to be able to do all the tweaks, "pimps" etc that I see on these forums but I suppose it will just take some time to get the hang of it...
    Having a WebOS device without Preware is like having a relationship without sex.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Having a WebOS device without Preware is like having a relationship without sex.

Or sex without foreplay?
    just remember that if you install themes they need to be removed before updating.. so in your instance download the update first and then start on the hacking
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    just remember that if you install themes they need to be removed before updating.. so in your instance download the update first and then start on the hacking
    Thank you...how long does the update take?
    1.3.5.1 was a pretty big update, so it will take a while...I cannot remember how long it took, but somewhere between 30-60 minutes, I think. Anyone else remember?
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
  10.    #10  
    ok...i downloaded it and it finished "unpacking" but then a message popped up saying "unable to connect"

Im confused
    Sorry, I've never gotten that error. Anyone who has who solved it?

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Sorry, I've never gotten that error. Anyone who has who solved it?

Ok nevermind...it fixed itself.

Now i just wish you could download ringtones from preware!
    Quote Originally Posted by lovemerox View Post
    Ok nevermind...it fixed itself.

Now i just wish you could download ringtones from preware!
    Glad it's fixed. Did you know you can use any music on your Pre as a ringtone? There are sites where you can edit for exactly the part of the song you want, or you can use the beginning of any song you already have.

14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    Glad it's fixed. Did you know you can use any music on your Pre as a ringtone? There are sites where you can edit for exactly the part of the song you want, or you can use the beginning of any song you already have.
    Does that require downloading things to your computer? or download straight to yourp hone...
  15.    #15  
    Ok so i am attempting to download preware from my office computer, but apparently we dont have the latest version of java...and I am unable to download anything of the sort without company password.

Is there any other way? Will it still install on an older version of java?
    Does that require downloading things to your computer? or download straight to yourp hone...
    Any music that you add to the Pre, via media sync or drag and drop, will work if you just want to assign a song as a ringtone. You do have to download music editing programs to your computer if you want to go that route, though.

In terms of downloading Preware, there is a method where you don't need a computer at all. Go to the webos-internals wiki and there are instructions. If you are attempting to install WebOS Quick Install to a computer you do need the latest version of Java.

Or sex without foreplay?
    what's foreplay?
    Palm prē-ist.