1.    #1  
    Now that we've lost Gdial... and let's face it, Google Voice leaves a LOT to be desired in their transcription service... I'm considering switching to YouMail for Visual Voicemail. I know it's a paid service, but I would be willing to pay if the transcriptions were more accurate. Is anyone else out there using the transcription service from YouMail? If so, how's the accuracy?
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    The service it self is free. I believe there is a trial with transcription where you don't have to put any CC info in. I'm not 100% sure though. Wouldn't hurt to try it out.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Youmail has been great! The transcriptions are very accurate. I used google for a while. It was good for some things, but the transcriptions were a joke. Unfortunately, you have to pay for youmail, but I have found it to be well worth it.
    Also be sure to grab a copy of YouView which is a WebOs client for YouMail
    - Arcticus

Syntactix LLC

Syntactix Developer Forum

Applications: Pack 'n' Track, YouView, Jewels, Metrix Developer Tools, TripThat, Mobile Florist.

Follow development on Twitter

Please support developers by purchasing their app(s) or donating.
    The youmail transcription service does cost (except for a 7 day trial option) and there are a lot of different packages you can get. I went for one of the one year deals.

IMO, it is well worth the $$. The transcriptions are so much better than Google and I feel better about the privacy issues with them as well.

However, to fully enjoy Youmail on th Pre, you need to get Youview. Yes the app does cost a little but it really takes Youmail to a whole other level.

And yes, before anybody goes down that road, it is true that their are Youmail apps for apple and android that are free, but those came from Youmail itself who apparantly decided not to do an app for the Pre, hence the third party solution from Youview.

Also there are still a few issues and improvments that are awating Palm doing some things (like giving developers access to the earpiece), but it is still a great comb with Youmail
    have used the free version and like it so much, I am going to start the trial transcription tomorrow - but everything I have read has been positive!
    You can also try Ribbit Corporation seems to work pretty well as well.

CaliMark (Mark Reed)
    I have been thinking about trying YouMail and was just wondering ...

Do I have to set up my sprint account to forward the calls to a YouMail number if I don't answer, or does it work another way? I didn't know if I would have to pay to have my calls get up in the YouMail system.

Thanks to anyone that knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by sraatc17 View Post
    I have been thinking about trying YouMail and was just wondering ...

Do I have to set up my sprint account to forward the calls to a YouMail number if I don't answer, or does it work another way? I didn't know if I would have to pay to have my calls get up in the YouMail system.

Thanks to anyone that knows.
    From my understanding... You would have to forward your sprint phone to YouMails service (this is provided by sprint for free).

Then if all you want is visual voicemail, YouMail's service is free. If you want voice to text transcriptions of your voicemail, then you'll have to pick one of their subscription options which costs a few bucks a month at a minimum.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
    thought about it but i wont be paying for voicemail..it should be free on this phone
    and google voicemail is a joke...
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I use YouMail, and it's transcription service is great. The Google voice transcriptions were laughable. YouMail actually manages to transcribe things properly. If you just want visual voicemail, they are pretty good as well. If you don't do transcriptions it's free. To me, transcriptions are worth it though.
    I am a little confused. I thought voice to text transcriptions IS visual voicemail. Is someone able describe the difference between the two?
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    Visual Voicemail is just the part about seeing who called/when without having to dial in and listen.
    Quote Originally Posted by tripsbacks View Post
    I am a little confused. I thought voice to text transcriptions IS visual voicemail. Is someone able describe the difference between the two?
    Think of it as email client layout but with voicemail messages instead of emails. You see a list of your voicemail messages, complete with the who/when/duration info. You can scroll through them and select which one you want to listen to rather than having to listen to them all in the order they were received.

I only started using YouMail (and the YouView client) a few weeks ago but I've been impressed. It's really handy.