Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There are many out there who are devs, or affiliated with carriers that may have insight into the holy coming of the 1.4 update. Anyone know, or willing to leak whether or not the following two glitches will be resolved:

- E-mail forwards being unopenable .eml attachments rather than being part of the message body

- E-mails replied to not retaining From/Subject/Date/Time information

If not, is there a homebrew solution to this?

It seems like elementary string concatenation since all of this information is sent with the e-mail, I can't imagine why this couldn't have been resolved with 5.5 minutes worth of dev time after update 1.0.0.0.0.1 Palm claimed they were going to be adding some business functionality to the phone with Exchange support, etc. What good does that do if you look like an absolute ***** with all pertinent information stripped from any e-mail you reply to?

If this is harder than it seems or there is some network problem or patent by Microsoft to be the only company to have message headers that are actually useful instead of "kx250ryder wrote" and nothing else, please chime in as well.
    I'm a victim of the 1st problem & it is bothersome. But usually, those emails aren't readable in gmail either. I have to open the attachment & go through the mumbo-jumbo to figure out the email. Maybe it's not a Palm issue but a Gmail issue.
  3.    #3  
    I'm jealous. How can you be a victim of only one of these problems? What programs are you using on your phone that allows either one of the previously mentioned errors to NOT exist?
    devs are under an NDA so I doubt it.
  5.    #5  
    Technically, this is true. But I don't think the news section of Precentral or any other techhnical blog would exist if it weren't for people violating those very same NDAs. It would change it's name to the press release section, since the only "discoveries" would be released by Palm or the carriers.
    touche.......

I may or may not be a dev but I wouldn't risk a banishment for breaking a NDA
    Quote Originally Posted by kx250ryder View Post
    I'm jealous. How can you be a victim of only one of these problems? What programs are you using on your phone that allows either one of the previously mentioned errors to NOT exist?
    Honestly, I dont even fully understand your second issue. I may have it, but I havent found that I miss it. But I do have a patch for replies to have the 'delete' icon and 'priority buttons'.

Yeah, I dont think any devs will break NDA. The thing you should be asking yourself is how does Precentral get those leaks...you'd have to think one of the staffers has Dev priviledges....
    Unfortunately, I have BOTH of these issues...and I am sure EVERYONE does whether they realize it or not. I have TWO EAS accounts: Kerio Connect 7.0 and Exchange 2003.

With the Exchange 2003 server, forward emails do come as an attachment. However, I can open them in Outlook without any problem. Of course, recipients have an added step of opening up an attachment for the forwarded email rather than just looking in the email. All of this translates into recipients not seeing the forwarded email for various reasons. With the Kerio Connect server, there is no attachment. Nor is the forwarded email in the body. Does the Pre think it's on the AOL email system of 1995?

It is very annoying when replying to an email and I have to include any date and times that I sent previous messages because it states "John wrote:" instead of dates and times. Obviously, since email protocols include this information and the Pre replaces it with something else, it is by design. However, for business purposes, it's a flawed design that creates more problems.

Simply due to these two flaws, it makes the Pre undesirable for business/Enterprise class email. I know I have curbed my use of the Pre for business purposes.
  9.    #9  
    @BMIC50:

The issue is that you lose all date/time/subject information from previous e-mails. From a business standpoint, these things are a protect your a** feature that show when and whom you've sent or received information.

An example of a properly formatted time stamp (in the case below, from MS Outlook):

---------------------------
    Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2010 10:00 AM
    To: Precentral forums
    Subject: Palm Pre E-mail Lacking

Test text here

-----------------------

The Palm Pre version:

----------------------------
    kx250ryder wrote:

Test text here

------------------------

That's it. All else is lost. No way to retrieve it. I know it should be possible to retain the time stamp in "Reply" because the borked "Forward" command retains all the above information, but then totally blows it and attaches the e-mail body text as an unreadable .eml attachment.

A Forward on the Pre looks like:

--------------------------------
    Date: Feb 20, 2010 10:00 AM
    Subject: Palm Pre E-mail Lacking
    To: Precentral forums <precentral forums at precentral dot net>
    Attachments: my_original_email_saying_test_text.eml

-------------------------------

Quite frankly, I'm stunned that there aren't 250 posts/day from supposedly corporate users complaining about this. Maybe they all just returned their Pre's already? I have no idea.

All I know is that you could never add another update to my phone again other than the above, and it would make it effectively the best phone on the market. It can almost surf like an iPhone, it has decent gaming (now), it can multitask, and if the above were applied it could handle corporate customers properly. Even with its lag and battery life shorter than the fuse on a firecracker, it's still close to being the best platform out.

As it stands, it is basically a lie saying that the phone has e-mail support. You can't effectively answer an e-mail without looking like a complete dunce to all recipients.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I think you are having a similar issue as I am. When I send an email with a pic in it, it shows there is an attachment...but it never opens it??

Cant ever see the pic?
  11.    #11  
    @RamAirDave

I think what you're talking about is that you have to click a file twice to open it. Once shows the little download bar behind the filename, and the second click (once download is complete) launches the appropriate program to view the attachment.
    Global Posts
    331 Global Posts
    I have not had either of the noted issues with Pre email. Can't imagine what might cause the problem.
    The email app most certainly needs to be updated. I'd also add that its pretty poor that there is no multi-delete feature (sort of like the old iphone OS email app). If you have a lot of emails to manage, you end up doing a lot of swiping.
    We could discus this for 2 days or we could use that time to do something else and in two days download the update.... jk
    I think that it will be fixed. In Deiter's video it showed that Palm was taking Performance into hand with 1.4 and with that I will say that it will be MUCH smoother throughout the whole Operating System.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Technically, this is true. But I don't think the news section of Precentral or any other techhnical blog would exist if it weren't for people violating those very same NDAs. It would change it's name to the press release section, since the only "discoveries" would be released by Palm or the carriers.
    There are many technical articles and discoveries that are not press releases, and are also not covered by an NDA.

Take the whole webos-internals.org site for example ...

If developers violate an NDA they sign with Palm, then Palm will stop giving them early access to new webOS versions, and *you* will suffer as a result when programs break immediately after OTA updates.

Just pause and think what effect your individual desires may have on the whole community ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Finally some intellectual information from a dev. Thanks rWhitbly
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    One of the "Replies forwards multi mod" patches in Preware will fix your issue #2. I use the 10pt Arial black patch and I am not afraid to reply to business emails any longer.
  18.    #18  
    @rwhitby

Thank you for providing the developer viewpoint, and for your contributions to the homebrew community. Your team's efforts are what make the patch that DaveChelios mentioned possible (thanks for the tip Dave).

However, I don't think Palm would erase all the work you and your team have done over telling whether or not a formatted e-mail title block is coming down the pipe. Spilling the beans about video recording or the PDK maybe could get you in hot water, but not this. I also don't think my request was selfish, unless of course I'm the only corporate user of this phone (I did see one other person using a Pre not in a Sprint store once!!). Regardless, I can appreciate your concern, as you do have alot at stake and I offer nothing in return for your gamble.
  19.    #19  
    I tried the Preware solution for the e-mail title block formatting as previously suggested, and am happy to say that I can now answer an e-mail without shame. The phone still forwards e-mails funny, but I can live with that for now.

I also installed 24 other patches vastly improving my phone's functionality without a hitch, save one patch for a flashlight that wouldn't work no matter how hard I tried. Thanks to all the people who made those possible.
    Well, at least Palm listened a little bit.

Forwarded email in WebOS 1.4.0 remain the same, they are forwarded as an attachment. I could use Outlook to open them. Again, this is undesirable and mimics the actions of AOL in 1995. I really don't understand why this is so hard since it's most mail clients do not behave this way anymore.

Replied emails contain the original Date, Time, Name, and email address. However, no subject is listed. As long as the subject isn't changed in the replay, then I guess it would be ok. I do not like the way it's formatted, but I guess beggars can't be choosers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast