1.    #1  
    Ive heard both sides on this one. First i read that you should remove all patches and themes before updating. Then in browsing the forums yesterday, i see that there is no longer a need to remove patches before an update.

Can anyone verify or discount this?

Also, if we do have to still remove all the patches before an update, is there anyone to backup all patches on a CPU through quick install? This way all the patches could be reinstalled again with the press of one button as opposed to going through each one again on preware.

Thanks in advance fellas..
    no you do not need to remove patches anymore only themes
    And I will read your results and others and then will still remove them just in case.
    Nope fortunately, we dont have to do that anymore. I dont even use themes anyways so i can careless.
    You don't need to remove them if your patches were installed using the new technology. Look at the AUPT threads to find out how you can check that.
    my only concern is what will happen if I have a patch that palm adds to the update. We know there are supposed to be some calender enhancments what if one of those enhancments ends up being a patch I had installed. While I do trust the guys that make up these patches I am going to remove mine before the update and see what happens with everyone else first I only have abot 9 patches anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by flash8o View Post
    Ive heard both sides on this one. First i read that you should remove all patches and themes before updating. Then in browsing the forums yesterday, i see that there is no longer a need to remove patches before an update.

Can anyone verify or discount this?

Also, if we do have to still remove all the patches before an update, is there anyone to backup all patches on a CPU through quick install? This way all the patches could be reinstalled again with the press of one button as opposed to going through each one again on preware.

Thanks in advance fellas..
    Go to Preware now. Open it, update your feeds (upper left menu), check to see if you have any package updates available (top of list). If Preware and any patches are there, you should update them all. You should then be AUPT 3 compliant and should not have to remove patches before an OS update.

You should read WebOSQI threads if you have installed any patches through that program. They are not handled the same way.
    So the AUPT takes care of not having to remove patches, but just curious, so what is the conjecture on what would happen if you did not remove a theme prior to update?

I woke up this morning, and sorta got excited for a second, when Preware told me there were 11 package updates i had to do. I did them, but that was all the excitement.

I have been putting my Pre in Airplane mode over night, as to not have it update unattended, and I forgot last night.

But all my packages from Preware updated fine, and back to the waiting game..
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

Quote Originally Posted by dianehelen View Post
    So the AUPT takes care of not having to remove patches, but just curious, so what is the conjecture on what would happen if you did not remove a theme prior to update?
    Themes are currently not covered by AUPT technology, so anything could happen on an OTA update if you have a theme installed.

Themes are also the #1 cause of patches not updating properly.

Just remove it.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals