Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I have a HTC droid eris now.Not happy with it and I'm not going to bore you with all the problems i had with it

I'm thinking of dumping the eris on ebay and going with the palm pre. Has anybody went from droid or iphone to palm pre? Experiences,thoughts,comparisons or suggetions would help a GREAT DEAL
    I've had my Pre 8 months and I'm lovin every minute of it. It's just a fun toy. Good luck with what ever you choose .
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    WebOS is awesome.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info!

Didn't get a chance to read the whole thing yet, but what about the battery life? I hear its poor. experiences and suggestions,thanks.
    Not me, personally, poor Sprint didn't get either of those phones.........but my best friend of 24 years bought a Droid on release day, loved it for a day, liked it for a week, saw my Pre and toyed around with it, sold his Droid to buy the Pre Plus. So far, he's loving it.

Battery life for me is fine, just don't leave everything on. I'm rarely near a wifi hotspot, aside from the hospital I only have wireless available at home, so I leave that off until I need it. Same with the GPS, I don't need it often, so I set it to ask me before turning on for some reason. A dozen calls a day, not a whole lot of texting, some 'net use, I go 14 hours or so and still have half a battery charge. Better than my old Treo, by far.
    I moved from an iPhone 3g to the Pre in October. I love it!!! Much better than the iPhones dated ui paradigms. Now I can multitask to my hearts content!
    You wont regret switching.
    Quote Originally Posted by tacony View Post
    Thanks for the info!

Didn't get a chance to read the whole thing yet, but what about the battery life? I hear its poor. experiences and suggestions,thanks.
    When you first activate your pre, the battery life is poor, but after the battery cycles over a couple of weeks it improves. I have settings and patches (Preware) that improve the battery life on my pre. I also purchased a Mugen 1400 battery ($31 shipping included), adds a couple of hours of life, and I use my orginal battery for backup (have never used it yet). I have Touchstone chargers at home and car so battery life is never a problem.

Good Luck!
    I had a touch pro before my pre and i love the webos (i even had an iphone) but the hardware needs work (no more oreo problems please palm)
    If you're gonna actually get it, then get it for Verizon because Sprint is horrible.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    If you're gonna actually get it, then get it for Verizon because Sprint is horrible.
    It is horrible for you.

Sprint has been a great carrier for ten years in my case.
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    Not me, personally, poor Sprint didn't get either of those phones.........but my best friend of 24 years bought a Droid on release day, loved it for a day, liked it for a week, saw my Pre and toyed around with it, sold his Droid to buy the Pre Plus. So far, he's loving it.

Battery life for me is fine, just don't leave everything on. I'm rarely near a wifi hotspot, aside from the hospital I only have wireless available at home, so I leave that off until I need it. Same with the GPS, I don't need it often, so I set it to ask me before turning on for some reason. A dozen calls a day, not a whole lot of texting, some 'net use, I go 14 hours or so and still have half a battery charge. Better than my old Treo, by far.
    I agree. I leave gps, wifi and evdo turned off unless i need it. with just BT and phone service turned on the battery will easily last 1.5 - 2 days. I usually turn DATA on once or twice a day just to let email flow in.

Don't make a blanket that Sprint is "horrible". If you don't like them that's great, I don't like paying ALOT more for the same features that Verizon will charge you.That doesn't mean Verizon is "horrible". You can't go wrong with a WebOs Device,Good Luck.
    If, unlike glynnmi, you'd like to have always-on data service, my battery life with bluetooth off, wifi always on wherever available, syncing two gmail accounts every 30 minutes and lots of patches installed (free, opensource tweaks to your operating system easily installable via on-device third-party app store) is absolutely sufficient - my phone pulls an average of 1.3% per hour while idle, for a total standby time of 77 hours with middling GSM signal.

I'm a relatively heavy user, rarely have fewer than three or four cards running, am frequently texting and mailing, with about 10 to 20 phone calls in a day, and do play the odd game (that game pretty much being quake for now as I'm from Europe and am betting on the Easter Bunny to bring me those sweet, sweet paid apps) as well as read books via pReader -- I just wish it had "kinetic" scrolling *waves Euros in the air*

I leave my Pre to charge overnight and always make it through my day without having to recharge, mostly coming home with about 20% left, which is absolutely golden with me. I Drop it on the stone while having dinner and have it ready for the evening at 60-70%.

This used to be wildly different and really sort of intolerable in earlier versions of webOS, but it looks like they got a lot of those kinks sorted out.

If you're a mountain ranger in Transsylvania and don't know when you'll see a wall socket again, you really might want to consider turning data off.
    If you're just a normal guy that wants to smartly use his smartphone, leave it on but experiment with e-mail sync times. Many find Palm's implementation of IMAP-Idle to pull some mean battery.
    If you've some money to spend, buy three touchstones: office, car, home. Pull out all the stops and run a web server from your Pre. What the hell.
    Yes, let's pay more for less. Frankly I'll keep my money. I've been with Sprint for 12 years and couldn't be happier.

In regards to the battery life, one of the great options for the Pre that the iphone doesn't have is the ability to change batteries, and that is how I solved my battery life issue. I carry a second battery and if I use up the first one then I just change batteries and off I go. Simple.
    If you go for the Pre, get a touchstone for your car. Pretty much the coolest thing ever. Plus it'll quench a lot of the battery life issues.