Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi fellow Pre lovers!
    I have searched but have not found any reports of the exact problem I am facing occurring, but hopefully someone out there has clue.

So basically here is my problem:
    I will have been using my phone all day and it has been working just fine. I have plenty of battery left (usually 50% or more) and then when I go to check email or do something, I hit the unlock button but nothing happens. The screen stays black no matter what I do. I can hold in the orange key and the power button, nothing. Hold in the power button, nothing. Set it on my touchstone, nothing. Plug it into my computer, nothing. I have to remove the battery, then plug into my computer and then it will boot up to the palm screen but the logo will not glow like its supposed to. I then have to repeat the process and it will boot up just fine. I don't have any themes, I very few patches (like led notification and repeat sms notification) all up to date and just a few homebrew apps like Doom and Quake.

Does anyone have any clue what I need to do!?! The worst part is I have NO clue what causes my Pre to do this or when it will occur next so its hard to try to see if anything I do fixed the problem as I might be waiting a week for it to decide to lock up again.

Thanks for any ideas!
    I have had this happen...take out my phone and power...nothing, power...nothing. Hold down the power button and it boots up??? its only happened 2 or 3 times but very annoying. It did do a reset right in front of my eyes as i was opening a web page. no idea though why
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, mine has done this 5 times now. The first 2 times it did it they were spread out like 4 weeks apart. However, within the last 4 weeks it has happened 3 times.

how long did you have to hold in the power button?? I held it in for like 10 seconds and I still got nothing when it lockup up tonight.It is most annoying!!
    I have never had it do this when I was watching though, its always been in my pocket or setting on my desk and I go to pick it up to do something and I get nothing
    I had this happen about a month ago...only happened this one time. Held down the power button and no go. I took out the battery and blew into the back like an old Nintendo cartridge, but the battery back in and it powered up. I haven't had this problem since. Very strange and I hope it's not a sign of more to come.... \
  5.    #5  
    Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Anyone else out there had this problem?? Has anyone had it happen multiple times like both myself and friguy3?

Any incredibly knowledgeable webOS people out there have any ideas??

Thanks to all!
    The reset with the power button is "hold power and slide the mute switch on and off about 3 times". The phone will the clear the memory and reboot. If a program is hanging in the memory it could be the cause.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    The reset with the power button is "hold power and slide the mute switch on and off about 3 times". The phone will the clear the memory and reboot. If a program is hanging in the memory it could be the cause.
    Thanks...I will try this the next time my Pre does this because unfortunately, I know it will do it again.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    This did not work, oddly it died right after reading this..pulled battery.

Don't get it, it was just sitting next to me, charged, not jostled or dropped. This was 3rd or 4th time in the last couple of weeks. Can't have phone turning itself off at will.. I'm on call.
  9.    #9  
    Well at least I'm not alone -- but it is kinda upsetting. It never did this in the beginning.

I am curious though if the phone is turning off or it is just "locking up"

Shaunooh do you have any patches and/or homebrew apps installed?
    I am wondering if it is some specific combination of these two because as best I can recall, I only started having problems after I installed some patches/apps but I don't know which ones might be the problems.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    It's turning off and locking up have to pull battery and reseat.

I do have patches, always have though, and pretty much the same ones.. I'm leaning towards the possibility it is related to app update(s)

This thing is still doing some update to need for speed that started half hour ago.
  11.    #11  
    Yeah, I guess it could be app updates. I don't have need for speed but I do have that asphalt5 that did a pretty big update (like 30 mins) about 2 weeks ago... But I just don't know if I can pin the problem to certain app(s) since I have been having this problem randomly since right around Christmas. But that is when mine first had this issue.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Well, 1.4 may bring a fix, I had horrible problems with email notifictions on 1.2 that few had, with no fix, that went away with 1.3.
    This happened to me as well. I believe it's an issue with the current firmware. I used to never have this problem until I updated my phone. I also get a really bright screen every now and then. It's as if I had set the brightness setting to max. I hope it all gets taken care of with the new update. Just my 2 cents.
    There are a couple threads on this running .. mine is doing it while the messaging app is in use - if i send a text, and/or close then card, then slide the pre closed - it powers off almost every time, but it only started doing it with the last update to 1.3.5.1 - no confirmed cause/resolution that ive heard of yet
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
  15.    #15  
    Mhm.....I didn't find other threads, but I guess I missed them...I just tested your issue on my pre and mine doesn't seem to have a problem with that.

Mine is totally random in what I was doing before it powers off.

One time I was on the web, then closed the app and locked the screen. Went to unlock 20 min later and nothing.
    Today I wasn't doing anything and mine had been sitting untouched on my desk for about 1 hour and I went to pick it up and nothing - before that, I had an IM come across but I didn't respond to it or close the phone or anything.

Also, mine seems to be very hard to get to start back up. I have to take the battery out and plug it into my computer to get it to start up at all, and then it gets stuck on the palm screen every time requiring me to unplug, remove battery, plug in usb, then put battery back in and it will boot up.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    My pre used to shutdown at random when I had the cpu scaling patch installed. Since I removed them all is well again.
    Well I was using my pre (vzw)...closed the keyboard and noticed the screen kinda went blurry and to black and boom...it was off. waited and was holding the power button for a few seconds (not sure if it would have restarted anyway) but it restarted. W.T.F

**And I just took it out of my pocket and it was off. Held the power button and it booted up. twice in an hour? might have to call and get a new one
    Last edited by friguy3; 02/20/2010 at 10:29 AM.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by friguy3 View Post
    Well I was using my pre (vzw)...closed the keyboard and noticed the screen kinda went blurry and to black and boom...it was off. waited and was holding the power button for a few seconds (not sure if it would have restarted anyway) but it restarted. W.T.F

**And I just took it out of my pocket and it was off. Held the power button and it booted up. twice in an hour? might have to call and get a new one
    Yours sounds like a loose battery, yours should have the foam wedge already in place if your on verizon
    Quote Originally Posted by shaunooh View Post
    Yours sounds like a loose battery, yours should have the foam wedge already in place if your on verizon
    Foam wedge? I looked and there doesnt seem to be. Could someone post a pic? That would be great if thats it. Thank you so much!

edit-found a photo thanks.
    Last edited by friguy3; 02/20/2010 at 01:34 PM.
    So I have the little foam pieces. But I have noticed it is the opening of the keyboard. It is easily replicated if you open and close it quickly several times. I tried to place a tiny piece of paper behind the battery for a little more pressure and support and that did nothing. Ill try and get a new one and see if its any better. What crappy construction. Sad they couldnt fix this. Anyone else able to replicate this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast