Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Pre Pals:

I am using GMail through the Pre. Works very nicely. Now, most of the time I really don't use the phone for email as I am near a computer both at home and work. What is best for battery life? Check messages as they appear? Every hour? 6 hours? I have read conflicting views on this. I get about 20-30 emails a day.
    dndrich ---> that's a common sense question! Obviously the LEAST amount of time your phone has to utilize resources to check email it's going to use less battery life!
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Yes, but what is the least utilization?
    Global Posts
    926 Global Posts
    MANUAL
    If you really don't use email on your phone much...

The debate on 'as item arrives' has gone both ways but I use it even though I only average 2-3 emails a day. (using Gmail and it pulls 2 Hotmail accounts using IMAP) Battery is as good as it gets.

Using Sprint
    Anything 30 minutes or higher will probably use a negligible amount of power.
    I'm not sure what the break even point is for using "as they arrive" as opposed to timed or manual. I know that if you are using a fairly frequent time check, you can use more battery than either of the above.

I receive only about 4 or 5 emails a day on my gmail account, so I use "as they arrive" and I have great battery life.
    I have 3 accounts (Yahoo, aol and gmail). I had yahoo at as it arrives, aol at 1hour and gmail at 6hours and my phone went from 6am to 3pm and was dead. I changed yahoo to every 30min and made it to 7pm with 15% left so for me, it made a huge difference. As much as I want as it arrives, I cant have my phone dying at 3pm! Anyone know if using Yahoo v GMail as it arrives would change anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I'm not sure what the break even point is for using "as they arrive" as opposed to timed or manual. I know that if you are using a fairly frequent time check, you can use more battery than either of the above.

I receive only about 4 or 5 emails a day on my gmail account, so I use "as they arrive" and I have great battery life.
    What is great battery life? When to when? and do you do other things during the day? Calls? Text? Web? Just curious. Thanks...
    I feel like this debate has gone on too long such that its not really a big difference between checking "as it arrives" versus "push <30 minutes". If there was a big difference, we would be using that option. If there is a difference, u might be gaining at most 30 mins of battery a day. thats it. if you charge often, u'll make up for that difference.

so like someone mentioned before, if you only get 30 emails a day and its not urgent that you read them as they arrive, sync every 30 minutes if you are worried about getting that extra 30-60 mins a day of battery. otherwise, buy the extended battery.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    I feel like this debate has gone on too long such that its not really a big difference between checking "as it arrives" versus "push <30 minutes". If there was a big difference, we would be using that option. If there is a difference, u might be gaining at most 30 mins of battery a day. thats it. if you charge often, u'll make up for that difference.

so like someone mentioned before, if you only get 30 emails a day and its not urgent that you read them as they arrive, sync every 30 minutes if you are worried about getting that extra 30-60 mins a day of battery. otherwise, buy the extended battery.
    Hate to disagree, I gained several hours of battery life as you can see from my post. Maybe there is no big difference if you use a very short interval, ie, 5min, but changing it to 30min was a drastic difference (dead at 3pm v 15%left at 7pm)
    Quote Originally Posted by friguy3 View Post
    Hate to disagree, I gained several hours of battery life as you can see from my post. Maybe there is no big difference if you use a very short interval, ie, 5min, but changing it to 30min was a drastic difference (dead at 3pm v 15%left at 7pm)
    I said < 30mins option
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Quote Originally Posted by RanGT View Post
    I said < 30mins option
    I apologize...true you did. Battery still sucks my left one though.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I went to "messaging" (your sms) and checked account in drop down menu. Took out the IM accounts and battery life improved. Get my email "as arrive" and quite a few.... battery life is very acceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by friguy3 View Post
    What is great battery life? When to when? and do you do other things during the day? Calls? Text? Web? Just curious. Thanks...
    Not a heavy user -- a few relatively short calls a day, rare texting, little gaming, 5 or so emails a day, 30-60 minutes web surfing, navigation is not an everyday thing.

My battery has never run out on me. Off the charger by 7:30 am and at 60-70% by 10 pm most of the time. My only real challenge is the one day a week when I go to a rural area. If I don't switch over to roam only, my battery is down to about 50%.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjaakb View Post
    I went to "messaging" (your sms) and checked account in drop down menu. Took out the IM accounts and battery life improved. Get my email "as arrive" and quite a few.... battery life is very acceptable.
    Thanks for the reminder. I forgot that I had IM accounts defined in there and I never use them. I've removed them now so we'll see if my battery life gets better.