1.    #1  
    Hey guys,
    I've installed a few patches on my palm pre that are constantly active such as the patch which shows the date on the home-screen, can these patches kill my battery quicker? Please can someone answer this question.
    Last edited by tamz786; 02/20/2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: No one is replying!
  2.    #2  
    anybody?
    If it's replacing something that's already active? No. Adding a bit of text to the display isn't going to drain the battery much.
    led notification will
    I have 30+ patches on my pre and my pre's battery life is excellent.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Just having a patch installed won't kill your battery faster, but some patches can cause increased battery usage as a result of their intended function. An example of this would be the "more standby times" patch. If you set a longer standby time, this will drain your battery faster because the screen stays on longer. It really drains your battery if you set it to "never" because the screen stays on all the time unless you manually turn it off.
  7.    #7  
    ok thanks, so i've got the following patches installed on my pre:

ADD DATE DD-MMM-YY
    BRIGHTNESS IN THE DEVICE MENU ( i leave it on the lowest)
    CALL DURATION IN CALL LOG
    CAPTURE WITH VOLUME KEYS
    CHANGE NUMBER OF BOOKSMARKS ON START PAGE
    CHARATER COUNTER
    ENABLE ADD/DELETE PAGES
    ENTER KEY FOR NEW LINE
    MULTI MOD
    SWIPE TO DELETE VIDEOS
    TIMESTAMP - BUILTIN
    VIDEODOWNLOAD

I take it non of the above are battery killers?
    Quote Originally Posted by tamz786 View Post
    ok thanks, so i've got the following patches installed on my pre:

ADD DATE DD-MMM-YY
    BRIGHTNESS IN THE DEVICE MENU ( i leave it on the lowest)
    CALL DURATION IN CALL LOG
    CAPTURE WITH VOLUME KEYS
    CHANGE NUMBER OF BOOKSMARKS ON START PAGE
    CHARATER COUNTER
    ENABLE ADD/DELETE PAGES
    ENTER KEY FOR NEW LINE
    MULTI MOD
    SWIPE TO DELETE VIDEOS
    TIMESTAMP - BUILTIN
    VIDEODOWNLOAD

I take it non of the above are battery killers?
    That's a pretty standard choice of patches - good job! I don't see anything in there that will cause any type of significant battery drain for you. As stated above, the only truly 'popular' patch for some is the patch to enable LED Notifications. If you can do without it, you will save battery time. From the list you posted, it looks like you are good to go!
  9.    #9  
    Thanks ever so much...and yh i decided to only install the most relevant patches as i've already hacked my nokia 5800 and installed irrelavant applications etc, and ended up reseting the phone billions of times! i dont wanna make the same mistake with my pre
    This reminds me of a story and old colleague used to tell. He wrote software that was used on satellites. One day his group got a request asking if ones weighed more than zeroes. Since weight means a lot on the satellites, they wanted them to use more of whichever was lighter.

A patch will not by virtue of being a patch make your battery drain faster. If it does something like leave your screen on longer, our make your screen brighter, etc it will of course. Btw LED is the most power unintensive light you can have...
    Quote Originally Posted by tamz786 View Post
    Thanks ever so much...and yh i decided to only install the most relevant patches as i've already hacked my nokia 5800 and installed irrelavant applications etc, and ended up reseting the phone billions of times! i dont wanna make the same mistake with my pre
    Well, the nice thing about the Pre vs. your Nokia... the Pre has WebOSDoctor! If you ever screw up, you can run the Doctor and reset your phone back. Quick and easy! Enjoy your Pre
    The big battery killers, if any, would be the services used for different apps. They have to run all the time and use up a tiny bit more CPU.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    Some patches can acctually increase battery life. By toggling roam only or managing data/phone radios or brightness you can see significant battery improvement.