Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay so I hear this is coming to CMDA phones this year or next, either way, soon. But I recall having a Motorola Q or Treo 755p, not sure which one it was, but while I was on a phone call, I could use the internet. Back then it was EVDO, not the revised version, it also may have been giving me internet through the 2G network (1x), or my memory sucks. It wasn't wifi, I dont even think these phone had it. Okay, as I'm typing this, I'm realizing my phone may have been plugged into my computer and been using that as an internet connection...thats really the only explanation I can come up with. But does anyone know, would the 2G network still allow a data connection while using the phone radio? I'm assuming not, but I wondered if anyone knew more about this. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    603 Global Posts
    I think your right I believe I was able to do this to on my Treo 700P speak and surf the net at the same time...
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    I think you are mistaken my friend...

I dont ever recall cdma phones allowing you to make simultaneous phone and data sessions.. even before revision A evdo.

And no. the 1x network is what your phone call is using(phone calls don't go over evdo) so how could it give you internet while in a phone conversation?
    Last edited by MacBook; 02/19/2010 at 05:41 PM.
    the CDMA technology does not currently allow for simultanious voice and data. The next version of the CDMA spec, CDMA2000, will allow for it, but I doubt that either Verizon or sprint will go to CDMA2000 when they are both moving to 4G networks that are different technologies.

You can use wifi to get data while on the phone though, I was doing this a couple of days ago.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    the CDMA technology does not currently allow for simultanious voice and data. The next version of the CDMA spec, CDMA2000, will allow for it, but I doubt that either Verizon or sprint will go to CDMA2000 when they are both moving to 4G networks that are different technologies.

You can use wifi to get data while on the phone though, I was doing this a couple of days ago.
    lol all cdma carriers currently use cdma2000 evdo.. what are you talking about?

Do you mean EVDO revision B????

wikipedia cdma2000 and see for your self...
    actually, I use to be able to do this on my mogul, after some registry tweaks. So I know it can be done for a fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacBook View Post
    lol all cdma carriers currently use cdma2000 evdo.. what are you talking about?

Do you mean EVDO revision B????

wikipedia cdma2000 and see for your self...
    That's exactly what I did before writing that post. Link: CDMA Technology Advancing, Simultaneous Voice & Data Usage Coming Soon
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $CDMA$ $networks$ $support$ $both$ $EV$-$DO$ $standards$. $Current$ $phones$ $do$, $as$ $well$. $As$ $you$ $get$ $further$ $from$ $a$ $good$ $signal$, $it$'$ll$ $drop$ $from$ $Rev$ $A$ ($high$ $speed$, $voice$ $and$ $data$ $at$ $the$ $same$ $time$) $to$ $Rev$ $0$ ($data$ $or$ $voice$ $only$, $cannot$ $coexist$ $on$ $the$ $same$ $signal$) $and$ $finally$ $1x$, $before$ $you$ $lose$ $signal$ $completely$. $The$ $article$ $linked$ $above$ $is$ $from$ $August$ $of$ $last$ $year$, $and$ $doesn$'$t$ $appear$ $all$ $that$ $current$.

CDMA2000 1xEV-DO Overview

CDMA2000 3G Standard
    1.25 MHz Licensed Spectrum
    5-15 Km typical cell radius
    Fully mobile, no line-of-sight required
    Seamless integration with cdmaOne and CDMA2000 1X networks
    Easy overlay for TDMA and GSM environments
    Applications
    EV-DO Rev 0 – data only
    EV-DO Rev A – voice and data
    Peak rate
    EV-DO Rev 0 – 2.4 Mbps
    EV-DO Rev A - 3.1 Mbps

Sprint and Verizon are already Rev A compliant, as was my old Treo. As long as I stayed within that coverage area, I could do voice and data at the same time. Once I got far enough away (midway between here and Manchester, for example) I would kick down to Rev 0, but maintain GPS signal. Couldn't get a call then, though.

EVDO Rev B isn't a new standard, so to speak. All it is is an aggregation of all EVDO Rev A carriers combined for greater bandwidth. In theory, that should triple EVDO data rates from 3.1Mbps to 9.3Mbps, assuming the best possible signal.
    Last edited by fussnfeathers; 02/19/2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: correction
    yeah im pretty sure none of the treo lines had rev. a. I had all of them. And the article mentioned above seems to be a reference to CDMA2000 1x Advanced. Haven't heard of that one but it sounds interesting.
    Last edited by syphex; 02/19/2010 at 09:16 PM.
    Both the 800w and Treo Pro support Rev A. Those are both WinMo phones with GPS, the 800w is aGPS like the Pre, the Pro is standalone. None of the other Treos did Rev A, they're all too old. I had the 800w, I could make a call with a data connection running at the same time.
    Treo 800 and Treo Pro had Rev A.

By the end of 2007,[dated info] Sprint had fully rolled out their EV-DO Rev A network-wide
    Anything before 2007 for sprint would not be capable of Rev A
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    There's a list somewhere......have to remember what site I saw it on. Rev A started rolling out in early 2006, and if I remember right, was fully going in 20 or so US cities by September. Otherwise, yeah, pretty much anything prior to mid 2007 is too old.
    this is all incorrect..... I work with network infustructure all the time and none of the current market CDMA tech does Voice/Data at the same time. CDMA2000 Rev.C(UMB) is the only one capable of this and was dismissed publicly by both verizon and sprint. If I remember from in-house test Rev.B or Rev.D(EvDv) may also have been capable of this with greater bandwidth and speed(1gb+) it's ashamed that sprint with wimax when CDMA would have been more stable and cost saving then there wimax network. If I'm wrong correct me but as far as iremember this is the correct information. Thanks
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I think this ad is inferring to being on Wifi
    You're wrong.

EVDOmaps - User Based EVDO Rev A Coverage and Mapping Tool

User generated.

Sprint Business - Sprint Mobile Broadband Coverage: Enter Zip Code

20 million customers covered by Rev A as of November 2006 in major cities. I can also affirm that I have Rev A coverage, my Treo 800w had three different icons. 1x in low signal areas, one EV icon for Rev 0 areas, and another EVDO icon for Rev A.

Sprint Mobile Broadband devices that are EV-DO Rev A-capable will operate at average download speed ranges from 600 Kbps - 1.4 Mbps with peak rates up to 3.1 Mbps, and at average upload speeds of 350-500 Kbps with peak rates up to 1.8 Mbps in Mobile Broadband (EV-DO Rev A) coverage areas. Future Mobile Broadband coverage represents a portion of Sprint's planned expansion of our Mobile Broadband Network through 2009.
    Check back for network upgrades and coverage map updates, as Mobile Broadband coverage is changing rapidly.
    Need more help? Contact us at 888-211-4727.
    Print | Close
    2010 Sprint. All rights reserved.

Map my zip code, I'm dead smack in the middle of the Rev A service area for my town. I'll post a speed test, if you want, but I generally hover around 1.6Mbps down. I'll spike at speeds almost as fast as my DSL.

Trust me, Rev A has been out for a few years now, it just didn't hit nationwide for awhile.
  16.    #16  
    Awesome information guys! So how do we use both on the Pre? It must be possible, even if we can't do it, I refuse to believe that it can't be done with a device like this one. Then again, I don't have the means to investigate this matter myself, so I'm asking some genius with the time to come up with a way to make it happen if you're in the right coverage area, or would it work anyway if in the right coverage area? Lets make it happen! I'd be willing to use my phone as a test subject.
    I could have sworn i have done both at the same time on my pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight77 View Post
    I could have sworn i have done both at the same time on my pre
    If you have wifi turned on you can do both, because wifi and phone use different radios. Otherwise you cannot do both with CDMA.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    EV-DO Rev A voice and data

I just did it, wifi off. Ran a speed test off DSL Reports and called my voicemail. CDMA phones can indeed do that. Give Sprint or Verizon a call. The only reason you wouldn't be able to is if you were not in a rev A coverage area, and there are still quite a few. The only reason I know this is a) I worked on the construction team that had to put a structure over the weatherproof rack and shed that held the tranmitter/receiver/repeater hardware, the Long Trail comes within 20 feet of it. State said "cover that nasty stuff or we'll revoke your land usage rights" and b) I asked before I dropped the money on a rev A capable phone.

Considering EVDO is a CDMA network specific protocol, how would you say CDMA phones that are EVDO rev A capable could not do voice and data simultaneously? That's the whole reason for rev A in the first place! GSM networks like ATT, Bell Mobility, T-Mobile, they're GSM phones that use UMTS/HSPA 3G data. EVDO doesn't even apply to them, it can't run on their network.

It's not that hard, guys. If you're in a rev A coverage area on Sprint or Verizon, you're almost sure to be on EVDO rev A, the exception being if you're in a rural area that Sprint or Verizon haven't invested the money in yet.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    lmao!!!- omg you can NOT do data and voice on sprint or verizon UNLESS your phone is wifi enabled AND turned on! You people are HILARIOUS!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast