Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sprint just sucks
    They are basically embarrassing the Palm Pre on their network
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Sprint just sucks
    Do you ever stop and look at what you type before you hit the little submit button? Ive looked through all of your posts and all you do is rant and complain, and provide no help to anyone. How about you try and be a little more useful in your posts man.
    All of the people who swear they've done it before when it clearly is not possible on Verizon or Sprint (when not connected to Wi-Fi) just goes to show that's it's obviously not as important of a feature as AT&T would like you to believe. I don't remember the last time I had someone call me from a game show and needed me to look up something on the fly immediately. If it starts happening regularly I guess I'll probably look into AT&T again, but until then I'll save my $50+ a month
    Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    All of the people who swear they've done it before when it clearly is not possible on Verizon or Sprint (when not connected to Wi-Fi) just goes to show that's it's obviously not as important of a feature as AT&T would like you to believe. I don't remember the last time I had someone call me from a game show and needed me to look up something on the fly immediately. If it starts happening regularly I guess I'll probably look into AT&T again, but until then I'll save my $50+ a month
    This has been my thought too... I had never even tried to do this until the AT&T commercials started making it sound like it was something that was needed every day. ha

Plus, I've noticed that 2 of the AT&T commercials - the game show, and the 2 droids - both took place in someones living room... where I would have my WiFi on and running. So guess what? I would have been able to do it on my Pre no problem.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    This has been my thought too... I had never even tried to do this until the AT&T commercials started making it sound like it was something that was needed every day. ha

Plus, I've noticed that 2 of the AT&T commercials - the game show, and the 2 droids - both took place in someones living room... where I would have my WiFi on and running. So guess what? I would have been able to do it on my Pre no problem.
    Same here. My house is concrete, it's essentially a bunker so I have no 3G once I walk through the door. I do still get decent cell coverage inside so if I'm home I'm connected to WiFi.
    Yes, I've used the internet on wifi and been on a call at the same time on my pre.
    I guess it would be nice to be able to talk and go online at the same time, but that's definitely not something i'm missing. The only time I realized I can't do this is when I read on here that I can't and went on my phone to verify.
    Voice and data is possible on CDMA, if and only if you are using a EV-DO Rev A handset and have EV-DO Rev A coverage and your carrier allowed calls to be routed through VoIP instead.
    Sprint just sucks
    Yeah those are just rants. I've been with sprint for well over 10 years now and have had a couple bad support calls but in the end sprints call quality and data service beats out any of the gsm carriers. Verizon in my opinion and just my area of southern California just doesn't have the price/service area that I need. I love my pre on Sprint. It's fast when I need it to be and have yet dropped a call from loss of signal since buying it on launch day.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlaqkAudio View Post
    Voice and data is possible on CDMA, if and only if you are using a EV-DO Rev A handset and have EV-DO Rev A coverage and your carrier allowed calls to be routed through VoIP instead.
    Yep. Unless something changed over at Sprint in the last six months, they do allow for that.
    Global Posts
    216 Global Posts
    Sprint just sucks
    its not sprint! its a CDMA thing.. Verizon cant do it either because they are CDMA...
    \/\/0\/\/... so many of you guys just LOVE talking out your azzes, huh? How in the heck are you going to comment on the limitations of the network from something you heard?? If you're not an expert, save it for somebody who IS.

Quote Originally Posted by bipoler View Post
    lmao!!!- omg you can NOT do data and voice on sprint or verizon UNLESS your phone is wifi enabled AND turned on! You people are HILARIOUS!!!
    Actually... I can use my Pre's browser over EVDO while I'm speaking on the phone!!

Fortunately, I have two phones.

There's no reason I would want to put somebody on hold and research an answer so that I can get back to them. If that's the scenario we're gonna play out... somebody texts me or calls me with a question, I find the answer, and I text or call them back. It's much easier this way. There's nothing more that ticks me off than phone silence.

But if somebody wants to chat with me WHILE I'm Googling something, that's no problem. AT&T users can't do that either. They can only do one or the other!! I guess they can put it on speakerphone, but a lotta times that's just not appropriate.

But the point remains... if you truly want to talk and browse at the same time, YOU NEED TWO PHONES!

Quote Originally Posted by xome1983 View Post
    Exactly. A totally impractical feature of their network. They have to focus on any differences whatsoever since they're not the best.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Well, I do like having it.

And I have used the phone while on wifi, but only in special cases. IE waiting for someone at the mall. Headphones+mic solves the speakerphone issue, and I can browse the web while waiting for whomever it is I'm calling to find me.

Besides that, I really couldn't care less. Wait thats a lie. It makes me sign out of aim. Besides THAT, I could care less!
    It wasn't me officer, I swear.
    Quote Originally Posted by philbowuk View Post
    Yes, I've used the internet on wifi and been on a call at the same time on my pre.
    Same here, but only on Wifi. Can't do it on just 3g
    *sigh* I love people who don't read the facts, right from the developers of the protocol and service, and still claim it's impossible. CDMA phones are indeed capable. EVDO is the CDMA data system. It does not work on ATT, or any other GSM network. It can't. How hard is it to understand, then, that if the network system designed for CDMA phones, and ONLY for CDMA phones, is capable of a feature, that CDMA phones based off that revision are, in fact, capable of using it? Saying that Rev A CDMA compilant phones are incapable of using CDMA Rev A integrated functions shows a complete lack of understanding. As to whether your CDMA network ALLOWS that use is a different story, but it does not change the fact that the end user hardware does have the capability.

Once again. CDMA cannot work on GSM phones. It can only work on CDMA phones. If a revision of CDMA supports a service, CDMA phones specced to that revision can use those services. Period. If they cannot, then we all need to be filing a class action lawsuit against Sprint and Verizon for lying to their entire customer base. End of story. Saying that CDMA phones are not capable of CDMA service is asinine.
    EVDO supports voice over data in the form of voip, which is still just data!!!

And even if that were possible to use voip over EVDO... it's not gonna happen because of the carriers.

Whenever someone says "It's a CDMA thing." Most people realize that it's really "a network thing"... therefore, out of any of our hands.

So again... if you want to talk on your phone while surfing the web, YOU NEED TWO PHONES!
    This is an argument for wanting my Pre on the ATT network. With 3G GSM talking on the phone and surfing the web should be doable.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by fussnfeathers View Post
    *sigh* I love people who don't read the facts, right from the developers of the protocol and service, and still claim it's impossible. CDMA phones are indeed capable. EVDO is the CDMA data system. It does not work on ATT, or any other GSM network. It can't. How hard is it to understand, then, that if the network system designed for CDMA phones, and ONLY for CDMA phones, is capable of a feature, that CDMA phones based off that revision are, in fact, capable of using it? Saying that Rev A CDMA compilant phones are incapable of using CDMA Rev A integrated functions shows a complete lack of understanding. As to whether your CDMA network ALLOWS that use is a different story, but it does not change the fact that the end user hardware does have the capability.

Once again. CDMA cannot work on GSM phones. It can only work on CDMA phones. If a revision of CDMA supports a service, CDMA phones specced to that revision can use those services. Period. If they cannot, then we all need to be filing a class action lawsuit against Sprint and Verizon for lying to their entire customer base. End of story. Saying that CDMA phones are not capable of CDMA service is asinine.
    Since someone loves bein' all technical and what not let's examine this a little closer. I have sprint, I have EVDO Rev A coverage where I'm at, and my Palm Pre is capable of EVDO Rev A, so then how would I go about talking on the phone and making a phone call at the same time? Passing it through as data (IE VOIP) would work but it's technically not voice at that point, it's data so it's really not simultaneous voice/data. As far as I know EVDO Rev B is capable of simultaneous voice and data but neither Sprint nor Verizon currently employ that technology. To sum it all up no, currently it's not possible on either major CDMA network. Is it a limitation of CDMA? No, not technically. It is however a limitation of Sprint and Verizon. Either way, it's still not (currently) possible.
    i get that this will not work over our network.

Maybe Skype will make something for pre one day. Might be other ways to talk through the internet no?
    Last edited by Xtremeview; 02/25/2010 at 04:03 AM. Reason: typo
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast