Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I'm a current AT&T iPhone 3g user, but prior to that had been a longtime Palm person. In anticipation of some form of Pre coming to AT&T in the first half of this year, I was thinking of signing up for a Pre Plus on Verizon to test it out for 30 days and get a feel for things.

As such, I wanted to see if anyone had any similar experiences with "trying out" Verizon--or Sprint for that matter--Pre Plus. It's my understanding that I'd have 30 days to try it out on Verizon (Sprint) and then I could 'cancel' my account and only pay for the actual minutes/data used.

Any thoughts/comments?
    Quote Originally Posted by npyle View Post
    I'm a current AT&T iPhone 3g user, but prior to that had been a longtime Palm person. In anticipation of some form of Pre coming to AT&T in the first half of this year, I was thinking of signing up for a Pre Plus on Verizon to test it out for 30 days and get a feel for things.

As such, I wanted to see if anyone had any similar experiences with "trying out" Verizon--or Sprint for that matter--Pre Plus. It's my understanding that I'd have 30 days to try it out on Verizon (Sprint) and then I could 'cancel' my account and only pay for the actual minutes/data used.

Any thoughts/comments?
    You're me. I'm on ATT and waiting for the Pre Plus on May 10. I'm trying out the Pre Plus on V and my 30 days is up in a little over a week. There is a 30 day trial period so you can definitely cancel before the 30 day period is over. That is what I plan on doing. I just needed to try the Pre Plus for myself and I'm going to miss the phone when I have to return it.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    I'm a Sprint Pre user and am trying out the Verizon Pre Plus. The Verizon model feels more solid, better slider, better keyboard, no bad pixels in the display, but it does leak a little light out the sides of the display (you only notice it in the dark) The problem with Verizon is the $350 ETF which seems really excessive to me. Also, they want to steer you toward a 2 year contract, but I believe for just paying $219 instead of $149 you can ask for a 1 year contract. Also, if you have Sprint's Unlimited Everything Plan I believe you're going to pay about $40/mo to have the same thing on Verizon. They charge $10 for Navigation (free on Sprint). Finally, I was told that you could try it for 30 days and only pay for talk time, but when I called customer service he told me there was a $35 equipment return fee. Then I noticed some wording in the contract that says something about returning it within 3 days... so check all the facts first. The Pre Plus is a great quality phone (at least the one I had) but Verizon wants to make you pay dearly for it....
    I know that if you buy the phone from Best Buy and sign up for a contract you avoid having to pay the $100 rebate upfront and there is no restocking fee if you return it. I would guess it would just be the cost of the service plan for the month or how ever long you actually use it. My gf is returning a phone from Best Buy in a few days, I will let you know how it goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterules View Post
    I know that if you buy the phone from Best Buy and sign up for a contract you avoid having to pay the $100 rebate upfront and there is no restocking fee if you return it. I would guess it would just be the cost of the service plan for the month or how ever long you actually use it. My gf is returning a phone from there in a few days, I will let you know how it goes.
    I got mine from Best Buy as well for that exact same reason.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    Thank you for the information...looks like heading to Best Buy's going to be my best bet. Plus, I saw on another post yesterday, that Best Buy just dropped price of Pre + to $99.99

Thanks again for your insight.
    I don't like this idea. It's just going to look like a straight up return to Verizon. They won't know that you are on AT&T and just abusing the 30 day trial to test out a phone that is coming to your network of choice in a couple of months.

If enough people did this it would hurt Palm significantly.
    I don't think that enough people are trialing phones in such numbers that it'll cause a ripple that'll hurt Palm, Verizon or Best. I just had to get my Pre fix before the May 10 showing on ATT.
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    I'm in agreement with playboy....I don't really think trying out a phone and service is truly "abusing" the system in any way. It will help me to make more of an educated decision in my next phone purchase--whether it's going to be the pre or the next version of the iphone.

And the volume of people on any network trying out phones can't be too bad, else we would've seen this "abuse" cause problems long before the pre--for example, iPhone, Droid, etc.
    The Droid and iPhone aren't available on any other networks so they don't at all apply as examples of what you are going to do.

It just seems very fraudulent to me. You have no intention whatsoever of switching to Verizon. You're taking a new handset, making it used, returning it to the carrier that never had a chance causing them to see it as a dissatisfied customer and probably blame the device, and forcing Palm to eat the cost of a perfectly good handset that now must be considered "refurbished."

What part of the above seems acceptable or honest to you?
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
    So you don't think there were some Verizon users who tried out the iphone on AT&T's network only to stick with Verizon? Because I know I've read quite a few posts over the past couple of years with that. Can't say the same about Droid, because it's not a handset/forum that I've actively looked into.

And I guess it's all in how you look at things--just like anything. I'm sure there's never been a product you've tried out only to return because it didn't meet your needs. But differing opinions, thoughts, etc. is what makes the world go round...and I'm okay with that.

No offense meant, but we will probably just have to agree to disagree on this.
    So if you like the Pre Plus on Verizon enough then you might switch to Verizon? If not, then your "Verizon subscribers potentially defecting for the iPhone" example still doesn't apply.

The 30 day trial period was designed for two purposes: First, to allow a customer to determine if the coverage will work for their needs. Second, to allow a customer to exchange a device if they are not satisfied within those thirty days.

You are not interested in switching to Verizon at all. This is abusing the system. The 30 day trial period was never intended to be used as a phone rental service for people who are waiting for a period of exclusivity to end.

This hurts both Verizon and Palm. There is no justification.