Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    I was talking with Verizon Tech support last night on an odd Verizon issue I had with texting. At some point in the conversation, he told me pulling off the battery cover and removing the battery voids the warranty.

I asked him, if I remove the ACCESSORY Touchstone cover that was provided with the phone, and remove the removable battery to maybe replace it during the day with an accessory spare battery I may buy from Palm.....this would void the warranty? He insisted the answer to that was yes.

I asked him why Customer service had told me to remove the battery and reset before I was transferred to him, PLUS confirmed as he requested that I had done a battery pull to reset the device....he just got quiet.

Why don't these techs brush up on the rules before they quote them?
    I work with Verzion on lots of issues out in the field and usally prove to be useless, I say move along lol
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Hang up and call back or go to a verizon store.
    Ten days of training doesn't make these guys experts. Plus the attrition rate at call centers is ridiculous so there's a fair chance he hasn't been on the job long at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    I was talking with Verizon Tech support last night on an odd Verizon issue I had with texting. At some point in the conversation, he told me pulling off the battery cover and removing the battery voids the warranty.

I asked him, if I remove the ACCESSORY Touchstone cover that was provided with the phone, and remove the removable battery to maybe replace it during the day with an accessory spare battery I may buy from Palm.....this would void the warranty? He insisted the answer to that was yes.

I asked him why Customer service had told me to remove the battery and reset before I was transferred to him, PLUS confirmed as he requested that I had done a battery pull to reset the device....he just got quiet.

Why don't these techs brush up on the rules before they quote them?
    For what itLs worth, the folks at the Sprint store told me, early on, that they'd been told that only the repair techs were authorized to remove the battery. I mentioned that it's a *removable* battery and that I'd done it before, but she insisted that's what they'd been told in the store.

Much more recently, I went to the same location, and the same associate helped me - but this time, she (and earlier, a different rep) damn-near SNATCHED the cover off to remove the battery.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Yeah... just ignore, call again, go to the store, etc.
    If you're with a dumb tech, then just show them how to open the back cover or take the battery off. Make them feel stupid.

God... I could be a sprint tech.
    It's not even about dumb techs, it's about inadequate training. Most of these people don't own the phone you're using and probably have no specialized training aside from a "Brown bag" (In the tech support world, and perhaps elsewhere that's lingo for a quick training session) or two. They're taught how to look up information not to know it off the top of there heads. If Palm support had told me that I'd call them a dumb tech, but a Verizon tech support agent is just that a Verizon tech support agent and not a Palm Pre tech.

I should point out that I was advanced Nextel tech support (Which does in fact require knowledge and a fair amount of training) during the Sprint acquisition many moons ago so I speak from first hand experience.
    reminds me of a call 2 weeks ago to chase. Or calls into Dell (why i became dell certified). Just annoyed at these call center places
    if you own a pre, you prolly know much more about it than the CSRs who just sell it but never use one
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Obviously used to be an AT&T Apple iPhone rep... ;-)
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Obviously used to be an AT&T Apple iPhone rep... ;-)
    Hold the two buttons

did that fix the problem?

If not too bad

Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    The thing I get annoyed with is not so much the improper training, I understand turnover, but to speak of something as seriously as voiding my warranty.....thats something one should double check or ask someone before they speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
    The thing I get annoyed with is not so much the improper training, I understand turnover, but to speak of something as seriously as voiding my warranty.....thats something one should double check or ask someone before they speak.
    I totally agree with you that they shouldn't speak out of there ar*e, but if someone had told him this it may have been something he's never needed to personally look up. I don't know how many times a small nugget of truth or information about one product gets transposed onto another. Tech support, review articles, consumer mags, it pretty much happens everywhere. I'd almost be willing to bet that he got information about two phones mixed up rather than just providing false information. I don't do tech support anymore, nor could you or anyone pay me enough to do it again, but tech support agents are trained to do the job as quickly as possible, it's all about call times. If he's trying to maintain the level they tell him to maintain for his call times spouting off information he believes to be correct will take less time than looking it up. Still not an excuse, but a reality. Take what Verizon or any cell provider tells you about your device with a grain of salt. I don't expect a Wal Mart employee to know about all the products they carry, and the same should be said for our cell providers. IMHO of course.
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    I had to replace my Pre Plus today at the Verizon store because of a connection problem and the tech asked me if I had powered the phone off before removing the battery. I think that pulling the batter without powering off has an impact on the warranty.

I had powered it down. They replaced the Pre Plus for me.
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJCook View Post
    I had to replace my Pre Plus today at the Verizon store because of a connection problem and the tech asked me if I had powered the phone off before removing the battery. I think that pulling the batter without powering off has an impact on the warranty.

I feel bad for all the people that had the issue with the phone shutting off periodically when they closed the slider due to the battery being too small for the device then....I say that tongue in cheek of course lol
    the voiding of warranty sounds like a load of crap. The phone doesn't come with the battery installed. And the phone itself has a shut down/remove battery option. May want to read up on palm' site
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    God... I could be a sprint tech.
    Think you meant Verizon...
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    Global Posts
    389 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJCook View Post

Sounds like Verizon is trying to scam their customers for making them pay. Screw that! Sprint FTW
    Sprint Palm Pre-
    He was just thinking of the training he's getting in anticipation of Verizon getting the iPhone...
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    209 Global Posts
    Verizon alwayz has somethin up there sleeve
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast