Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok, my last phone was a Blackberry (3 years) and I just started accessing my email and internet on it this past year. I was very excited about the Pre, but in order to get it as personal as I had my Blackberry, I find that I have to download programs, operating systems, apps, etc. and I have never done anything like this. The only thing I've ever added to my phones is personal ringtones, text alerts and pics.

I tried reading through the step by step guide posted here and it scared me to death. Is it really as simple as downloading the WebOS and then searching for apps? All I really need is to be able to have my text, email and calendar alerts to be unique and maybe a cool game or two.

If someone could provide me with (or direct me to) a step-by-step guide for smartphone illiterate people (i.e. step 1. download this; step 2 download that, yada, yada, yada), I would be ever so grateful.
    First off, four really important points.

- I know this will look scary, but it's a really simple step by step procedure. Once it's installed, it's done and you won't have to do it again.

- WARNING: If you install a theme, ALWAYS remove it before performing a firmware update (Palm will be releasing version 1.4 of WebOS in the coming days, so be prepared for this)

- WARNING: When you download WebOS Quick Install it will force you to download something called WebOS Doctor - you must download it, but do not ever run the file "WebOS Doctor" unless you know what you're doing - it is an application designed to completely and irretrievably wipe/delete/format your Palm device. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, you shouldn't be touching this file. But don't delete it either, because it's needed for WebOS Quick Install to run.

- Relax. It is not really possible to "brick" your Palm - even if you somehow manage to corrupt the operating system itself so that your phone won't turn on, there are easy ways to return it to factory default. Be bold with your experimenting, but always read around the topic.

--

Ok now that's done, you need to know that the best way to install apps and patches and themes is through something called Preware. That's an application that runs on your phone (no computer required) that lets you install and remove apps, patches and themes. The rub is that you need WebOS Quick Install to get Preware on your phone in the first place. Just follow my instructions carefully and you'll be fine.

So, to install Preware you need to do the following:

//Begin

1) Put your Pre into developer mode. To do this, press the Center button to go into card view. Now type the following precisely like this: upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart - you actually have to type that out, letter for letter. Now a 'secret' app will reveal itself called 'Developer Mode Enabler' - just click it and turn it on. It'll ask you to reboot your device - do so.

2) Download WebOS Quick Install 3.02

3) Install the latest version of Java

4) Connect your device to your computer using the USB cable and select "Just Charge"

5) Run WebOS Quick Install - it will prompt you to download WebOS Doctor, which will take some time.

6) When WebOS Quick Install is ready and open, click File -> Options and select 'Attempt Novacom (re)Installation'

7) Return to the main application and then click the Blue Down Arrow on the right hand side of the main screen

8) Choose WebOS Internals Feed (all) from the dropdown list at the top.

9) Select Package Manager Service from the list.

10) Also Select Preware from the list.

11) Click Download.

12) Click Close.

13) Click Install.

14) Reboot your Palm device

//End

And there you have it - you can now select the Preware icon from your app launcher on your device.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by SqyArc; 03/08/2010 at 04:44 PM.
    That's a great tutorial, SqyArc. Good work.
    What SqyArc described is exactly what you need to do if you are doing Homebrew, which are essentially beta apps. If you don't want to do homebrew, just stick with the Palm Catalog. All of that stuff is very easy. Just browse the catalog, find the app you want, download it and you are good to go!
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    perfect. May not be anyone that could have said better.
    Remember that if you mess anything up we are here to help. Have fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    perfect. May not be anyone that could have said better.
    Remember that if you mess anything up we are here to help. Have fun
    And that's why this forum rocks. Sometimes people bicker and bi**h, but really, this is a great group of folks with a LOT of collective know-how. Many are willing to spend their personal time to help total strangers.

Why would someone tell this person to do WebOS Quickinstall when he/she said that they're already intimidated? It just seems like a bit too much for someone that is already intimidated.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    wish i had a tutorial like that when i first started out . geez lol
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Why would someone tell this person to do WebOS Quickinstall when he/she said that they're already intimidated? It just seems like a bit too much for someone that is already intimidated.
    Because if you step out of your comfort zone every now and then, you might actually learn something now and then.
    Because there'll be somebody here to help if something goes wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkoCommie View Post
    Because if you step out of your comfort zone every now and then, you might actually learn something now and then.
    This person appears to be overwhelmed. Just point him/her to the app catolgue or some thing less complex and which doesn't void the warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    First off, four really important points.

- I know this will look scary, but it's a really simple step by step procedure. Once it's installed, it's done and you won't have to do it again.

- WARNING: If you install a theme, ALWAYS remove it before performing a firmware update (Palm will be releasing version 1.4 of WebOS in the coming days, so be prepared for this)

- WARNING: When you download WebOS Quick Install it will force you to download something called WebOS Doctor - you must download it, but do not ever run the file "WebOS Doctor" unless you know what you're doing - it is an application designed to completely and irretrievably wipe/delete/format your Palm device. Unless you know exactly what you're doing, you shouldn't be touching this file. But don't delete it either, because it's needed for WebOS Quick Install to run.

- Relax. It is not really possible to "brick" your Palm - even if you somehow manage to corrupt the operating system itself so that your phone won't turn on, there are easy ways to return it to factory default. Be bold with your experimenting, but always read around the topic.

--

Ok now that's done, you need to know that the best way to install apps and patches and themes is through something called Preware. That's an application that runs on your phone (no computer required) that lets you install and remove apps, patches and themes. The rub is that you need WebOS Quick Install to get Preware on your phone in the first place. Just follow my instructions carefully and you'll be fine.

So, to install Preware you need to do the following:

1) Put your Pre into developer mode. To do this, press the Center button to go into card view. Now type the following precisely like this: upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart - you actually have to type that out, letter for letter. Now a 'secret' app will reveal itself called 'Developer Mode Enabler' - just click it and turn it on. It'll ask you to reboot your device - do so.

2) Download WebOS Quick Install 3.01

3) Install the latest version of Java

4) Connect your device to your computer using the USB cable

5) Run WebOS Quick Install - it will prompt you to download WebOS Doctor, which will take some time.

6) When WebOS Quick Install is ready and open, click File -> Options and select 'Attempt Novacom (re)Installation'

7) Return to the main application and then click the Blue Down Arrow on the right hand side of the main screen

8) Choose WebOS Internals Feed (all) from the dropdown list at the top.

9) Select Package Manager Service from the list.

10) Also Select Preware from the list.

11) Click Download.

12) Click Close.

13) Click Install.

14) Reboot your Palm device

And there you have it - you can now select the Preware icon from your app launcher on your device.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps.
    What he/she said.

One additional point. Several veterans on the forum recommend that you not leave your phone in developer mode (could be a security issue). Once you have installed Preware, look for a patch that will "unhide" the developer mode button. Using this button, it is much easier to go in and out of developer mode. By the way, you do not need to keep your phone in developer mode to use Preware.

Have fun with your Pre.
    This person appears to be overwhelmed. Just point him/her to the app catolgue or some thing less complex and which doesn't void the warranty.
    I prefer to enable people to make their own informed decisions. At least this way they have a choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    Because there'll be somebody here to help if something goes wrong.
    Well the poster comes off as wanting something that is simple and basic. WebOs install can become complicated and involved. I'm just thinking that this person wants something that isn't complicated.
    SqyArc that was awesome!

@ Skatterbrane: once you start playing with WebOS Quick Install and Preware you will become addicted like I did. I was brand new to adding things to a phone's operating system when I bought my Pre, as well, and thanks to the great articles and great folks on this forum took the plunge. I've never looked back, and have even been able to help others in my own small way. Go for it and don't be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Well the poster comes off as wanting something that is simple and basic. WebOs install can become complicated and involved. I'm just thinking that this person wants something that isn't complicated.
    Well, then first of all, maybe they should've bought a simpler phone (but that was their choice to make).
    Secondly, with all the people here (who know what they're doing), it's almost impossible to be abandoned with a brick.
    SqyArc was just trying to help. Nobody is twisting the OP's arm to patch and tweak.
    someone has issues i think ?? no ??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Can anyone since 1.3x update say they have had a problem with warranty due to a patch? Even Palm works with the preware developers and precentral.
    Seriously, maybe he is imtimidated by unsubstantiated comments about voiding warrenties. Thats a pretty scary thought......

I have replaced multiple pres all patched and with my own homemade theme. Never was I told that I voided a warrenty. Palm acknowledged the homebrew community at CES and it would be a serious issue for Palm if they decided that patching voides the warrenty. This homebrew scene is very important to Palms survival.... Since you said it, please prove it.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Not overwhelmed, just intimidated when there is no reason to be. So SqyArc proved that there is no reason to be intimidated by providing a series of simple once only steps that will ensure that the OP is able to do what they expressed an interest in doing to their Pre. And no warranty will be voided. You should give it a go yourself.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast