Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    As the creator of the tutorial, I'd like to respond to those of you that feel that I have somehow scared the OP away.

The reason I replied to the OP in the first place is that this thread had 0 replies and more than 40 views. Had I not taken the time out of my day to write him a response his thread would have been buried and he would have no answers and no help from any Precentral member.

My interpretation of his post was that he wanted a step by step guide that would tell him how to install apps, themes and patches. I thought if he was capable of registering on Precentral and posting a thread on the forums then he'd surely already be capable of clicking the "App Catalog" icon on his device. I really don't think there is a need to teach people how to do that. Therefore I think my original post is justified.

Like I said before, it is better to educate people and give them the ability to make informed decisions of their own. The OP can now choose whether to install Preware or not - it turns out he chose not to. But the choice was his.
    was just giving you a hard time... your instructions were so easy i almost tried it again.. till i remembered getting all the tweaks off my phone was the real kiljoy
    Quote Originally Posted by skatterbrane View Post
    wow, thanks for all the replies! Ok, so say I decide to play it safe and use the app library that's available - are these free or am I charged for them on my bill?
    You won't be charged on your bill. If you only choose those marked Free, you can download freely. If you choose one that has a price, you will be asked to enter credit card information.
  4.    #44  
    Ok, this is a general 'reply to all' - thanks so much for all the info. No, I haven't been scared off at all. Once I get more comfortable using my Pre (which I LOVE so far, btw - far superior to any Blackberry), I will attempt downloading the preware and 'tweaking' it. For now, I'm content with downloading the free apps and using iTunes to get my music on the phone (just discovered how easy this was last night after struggling with WMP for hours).

I will be sure and click the 'thanks'!
    Ok, this is a general 'reply to all' - thanks so much for all the info. No, I haven't been scared off at all. Once I get more comfortable using my Pre (which I LOVE so far, btw - far superior to any Blackberry), I will attempt downloading the preware and 'tweaking' it. For now, I'm content with downloading the free apps and using iTunes to get my music on the phone (just discovered how easy this was last night after struggling with WMP for hours).

I will be sure and click the 'thanks'!
    I don't remember what version of iTunes is the last one that the Pre can sync to...but you may want to look into other music syncing options at some point too.

I just switched to Media Monkey (after iTuned fubared up a bunch of y ID3 tags and really p*ss*d me off) and I like it WAY more than I ever liked iTunes.

Here's some information on Media Monkey, if you're interested

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...diamonkey.html
    It's good 2c that the OP is alive and well, lol.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    As the creator of the tutorial, I'd like to respond to those of you that feel that I have somehow scared the OP away.

The reason I replied to the OP in the first place is that this thread had 0 replies and more than 40 views. Had I not taken the time out of my day to write him a response his thread would have been buried and he would have no answers and no help from any Precentral member.

My interpretation of his post was that he wanted a step by step guide that would tell him how to install apps, themes and patches. I thought if he was capable of registering on Precentral and posting a thread on the forums then he'd surely already be capable of clicking the "App Catalog" icon on his device. I really don't think there is a need to teach people how to do that. Therefore I think my original post is justified.

Like I said before, it is better to educate people and give them the ability to make informed decisions of their own. The OP can now choose whether to install Preware or not - it turns out he chose not to. But the choice was his.
    You misread/misinterpreted the post. It's not a big deal, you don't have to defend yourself. It's cool, and furthermore, I'll probably end up using the guide you wrote - it's great.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    If your iToons works with your Pre now, do not upgrade iToons if you have the option to not. If you do upgrade iToons will NOT work. On another note. Understand that if you do the sync with a computer, you are half way to homebrew.
    This thread reminds of the time I went to the Ford dealership in my personal vehicle to pick up a replacement wheel cover for my work van. I had three salesmen come up to me asking about my trade-in.

I just wanted a cheapo plastic wheel cover!
  10.    #50  
    Ozmodiar, I downloaded Media Monkey and WinAmp and tried working with both for about an hour. I couldn't figure it out so I asked my 15 year old daughter 1 or 2 qeneral questions about iTunes and jumped right in. It was easier for me. I like the "drag and drop" option rather than syncing. When I tried to sync with WMP, it kept telling me that I couldn't add this one album because it was 'already on device' and it wasn't. I did add it, but I deleted it (don't remember why), but that's when the trouble started.

Anyway, to whomever told me not to update iTunes, I usually shy away from updates since I downloaded the Microsoft 'malicious virus update' or something like that, last year and almost crashed my laptop (I actually had to reformat my hard drive - took me 5 hours, but I did it). So, I won't update it.

Thanks again all (what a very helpful bunch you all are) - enjoying my music and free apps. Maybe by this weekend, I'll be ready.
    No problem...I'm not a developer, but I would certainly consider myself an "advanced power-user" when it comes to most computer-related things, so I just like to make sure people are aware of the alternatives out there.

I HATE crApple as a whole, and I refuse to support any of their products/software for virtually any reason.

Just so you know...the reason why you don't want to update iTunes is that crApple included some new verification procedure in their software to specifically NOT allow anything other than crApple devices sync to iTunes. Considering iTunes is one of if not the most popular music player/store in the world, I would say this borders on monopolistic behavior...but that's just me.

The important thing is that we were able to help you out so you can enjoy your webOS experience.
    He did ask for the following, so I can see why SqyArc assumed something more advanced than "tap on the App Catalog":

All I really need is to be able to have my text, email and calendar alerts to be unique and maybe a cool game or two.
    skatterbrane, if you truly want to be able to set unique alerts for texts, email, and the calendar, you will need to learn how to do patches at some point in time. That kind of customizing is not available in a stock Pre. Unless 1.4 gives us these options, anyway. But as you've seen, whenever you do decide to jump on in, there's plenty of people who will be willing to help out. Good luck!
    I believe you can use doubletwist to sync your itunes music with the pre. It won't matter if you upgrade or not that way.
  14.    #54  
    ok SqyArc, I'm finally getting ready to do this - question right off the bat: 'the center button'? if that's the circle button at the bottom of my screen that lights up, it does nothing when 'pressed.'
    ok SqyArc, I'm finally getting ready to do this - question right off the bat: 'the center button'? if that's the circle button at the bottom of my screen that lights up, it does nothing when 'pressed.'
    yes that is correct. It is just notifying you that you have a new voice mail, email, SMS/MMS or some other notification. You need to push the power button or open the slider.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  16.    #56  
    yes, and when I do that and type in 'the magic phrase' I get an internet browser with google searches on the topic. I don't the secret download app...
    oooo...you are trying to get into developer mode?

Don't press enter after you type upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart or webos20090606.

18.    #58  
    but if I just type in the magic phrase, nothing happens
  19.    #59  
    whoa, hold the phone (pun intended) - it worked!
    whoa, hold the phone (pun intended) - it worked!
    There you go!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast