Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    great post SqyArc.......I agree that it would be very hard to run into a problem that has not neen adfressed somewhere on here. Just mame sure you take your time and read the posts around here...you should be able to do just about anything.With 300k plus members you will never be without help.
    OP Feel free to PM me anytime for help. I'm on here everyday, and up till 3 or 4am est.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    1) Put your Pre into developer mode. To do this, press the Center button to go into card view. Now type the following precisely like this: upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart - you actually have to type that out, letter for letter. Now a 'secret' app will reveal itself called 'Developer Mode Enabler' - just click it and turn it on. It'll ask you to reboot your device - do so.

AWESOME Job Sqyarc!!

Also, rather than the upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart users can activate Developer Mode with universal search by typing webos20090606

webos (software), Release date/2009 (yr), 06 (mnth), 06 (day) - this is the way I remember how to bring up developer mode. Once you get Preware, I think you can access the Developer Mode and save as an app.

OP - I stumbled upon this site and it has been the greatest thing to happen for me in-regards to my Pre, since I consider myself a basic user. I was VERY nervous about the preware, homebrew, other things here early on, but after figuring out how the navigate the site, listening to Palm Cast, etc., now my wife thinks I am obsesed with our phones (i purchased her the Pixi)

The site and the folks here are awesome, and it great when I visit Sprint, etc and know more about webos and other phones than they do...good luck and welcome!
    Last edited by RoverNole; 02/21/2010 at 06:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Why would someone tell this person to do WebOS Quickinstall when he/she said that they're already intimidated? It just seems like a bit too much for someone that is already intimidated.
    Probably because of this part of his post:
    Quote Originally Posted by skatterbrane View Post
    If someone could provide me with (or direct me to) a step-by-step guide for smartphone illiterate people (i.e. step 1. download this; step 2 download that, yada, yada, yada), I would be ever so grateful.
    first of all the pre is an amazing phone by its self. second of all the pre give you the ability to change themes and apps and patches witch are the inner workings of the phone by down loading preware. i am new to the forum and pre and i followed step by step instrutions with pics so i knew what was going to happen next. everything turned out fine. i have elected not to do any patch or themes till the new update comes out to see how everyone comes out with it on the forum. i have only downloaded apps for the time being. after the update i with change my theme and patches. as i understand it you dont have to remove preware and apps to update your phone. you do have to remove patches and themes before updating. it is very easy to do just read alot and then read some more before doing it. good luck and if you have any problems with it or questions this forum is very good for info and the people here are great.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Probably because of this part of his post:
    I don't believe he asked for help with homebrew, but more how to work the phone.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I got the impression from the OP's post that he/she had no intention of homebrewing...they're just not very used to smartphones and wanted to know how to set everything up. Email, calenders, wallpapers, good apps from the app catalog, etc. I think they came here looking for a guide on what to do, saw the homebrew guide, and thought it was what they "had" to do to get the phone up and running.

I think you might of scared him/her to death with that huge guide and all those steps...from the way I interpreted it, that's not what they were looking for exactly.

I could be wrong though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I don't believe he asked for help with homebrew, but more how to work the phone.
    That's not how I read it. He said he tried readiing the step by step guide for homebrew, but it scared him, and wanted something more "download this, then download this".
    I tried reading through the step by step guide posted here and it scared me to death. Is it really as simple as downloading the WebOS and then searching for apps? All I really need is to be able to have my text, email and calendar alerts to be unique and maybe a cool game or two.

If someone could provide me with (or direct me to) a step-by-step guide for smartphone illiterate people (i.e. step 1. download this; step 2 download that, yada, yada, yada), I would be ever so grateful.
    Regardless of what the person wanted, I thought it was a great post and as a brand new Pre owner, really valuable. Thanks for writing it.

I don't really get the whole removing the patches/themes when updates come out. 1. Does the update happen automatically (so right now people are removing patches/themes before that happens? 2. Does that mean you have to download again everything that you downloaded already and then removed (which I guess means deleted) in anticipation of the update?

Thanks.
    SqyArc, you forgot to add "once you plug your phone in via usb, select "just charge." other then that, excellent instructions.
  11.    #31  
    wow, thanks for all the replies! Ok, so say I decide to play it safe and use the app library that's available - are these free or am I charged for them on my bill?
    wow, thanks for all the replies! Ok, so say I decide to play it safe and use the app library that's available - are these free or am I charged for them on my bill?
    if it is a paid app it will have a price by it, and you will have to enter credit card info. you can then have it set up to remember your info (it still asks for a password and confirmation before charging), or enter the card info each time you buy an app (i'm not positive about this, because i just told it to remember my info right off the bat). it doesn't go on your phone bill at all, though. just credit/debit card.
    This thread has gone from helpful to down right humorous. After all the hyperbole the OP is coming from an email and messaging phone to a WebOS phone which has more options than the iPhone. One has to crawl before walking then running. Learning to use the gesture area, synergy, messaging, universal search, syncing email, contacts, calender, messaging options and using WebOS and all it has to offer has to come first. This is a very helpful and supportive community, but sometimes we get ahead of ourselves. The app catalog is a good start once you're ready to go beyond the native apps.

Then the choice is: The Red pill or the Blue pill .... Lol
    Last edited by vza33; 02/22/2010 at 01:20 AM.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkoont View Post
    SqyArc, you forgot to add "once you plug your phone in via usb, select "just charge." other then that, excellent instructions.
    Thanks, added to the original post
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I can't believe you lot didn't scare skatterbrane off.

skatterbrane - webOS is comparable to Windows, it's the bit that you interact with to get things done, e.g. send an email, browse the web, add a new contact. It will notify you when an update is available and all you need do is click install.

Applications can be downloaded from the App Catalog which you access from the phone itself. If an app is free it will say and if not the price will be shown.

Best of luck with your new phone.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    I just find it funny that not once did he mention preware or any homebrew stuff, yet immediately received directions on how to install preware. The guy looked like he was trying to figure out how to 'use' the phone, not tweak it...
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    Why would someone tell this person to do WebOS Quickinstall when he/she said that they're already intimidated? It just seems like a bit too much for someone that is already intimidated.
    I was intimidated by it too when I first got my phone. I was waiting for a friend to remote in to my computer so he could help me, but got impatient and ended up doing it myself. It really wasn't as hard as it sounded. I was able to get it done without any problems.

Now if someone could help me solve my alarm issue, my phone would be perfect!
    Quote Originally Posted by Queueyou View Post
    I just find it funny that not once did he mention preware or any homebrew stuff, yet immediately received directions on how to install preware. The guy looked like he was trying to figure out how to 'use' the phone, not tweak it...
    hehe. Precisely. That is the point I was trying to make and I think that is the point Zsa33 was trying to make. It's like going from Algebra to Geometry without taking Algebra 2. The poster was still trying to figure out Algebra. In no way was the poster ready for Geometry. Just help him/her learn Algebra.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Look at it this way:
    1) Op has been welcomed with open arms to PreCentral.
    2) Op has gained some understanding of how to use the App Cat and that WebOS is like windows.
    3) has a reference for the future if he/she wants to mod/homebrew the phone.

IMO I think the OP is very happy with us and PreCentral.
    op has left the building way to go you all scared him/her away...
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast