Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey

I have had my Pre plus for about a month now. I now want to start installing homebrew apps and patches (without root). is there any dafety concerns that i mmust know before doing this. Also, verizon has no known opposition to this right?

Thanks
    Carriers have no opposition but won't support any issues caused by it. If you take the time to read everything is very straightforward and safe IMO.

I recommend starting here;

Main Page - WebOS Internals
    I'll get around to doing myself someday. Not really anything homebrew that's gotten me excited enough to go through the process.

Carriers don't care about it, since all it allows you to do is install unsupported software. If installerapp allowed you to unlock the phone to use on another carrier, then yeah, they would have issues. Install away.
    There is some opposition expected for using MyTether, but otherwise none from Palm nor carriers.

Almost all homebrew is absolutely safe (there were some problems with some cpu scaling patches), and if the worst happens you can simply Dr. your phone and it'll return to new.
    YES it is safe! I say that with emphasis because I too had hesitation about using Homebrew. However a friend of mine that works for sprint told me it was ok so i tried it. I must say if you read everything carefully you wont be disappointed. I have never been happier with a phone than I am with the Pre! Homebrew allows you to customize the phone the way you want it to be. I have had absolutely no problems with preware or homebrew! Go for it and have fun
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Very Safe. Just don't use any patches under the dangerous tab, patches that increases the cpu speed. I had a bad experience with that.

Other than that, homebrewing is essential to the webOS experience and very safe.
    The homebrew apps are just like any other application, except they should be considered beta apps.

Patches modify the software, and as such can easily be repaired with WebOS doctor.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    The homebrew apps are just like any other application, except they should be considered beta apps.

Patches modify the software, and as such can easily be repaired with WebOS doctor.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    ..the good folks at Sprint had a talk with me over my 6 speaker failures in a row over the last 5 weeks and their main questioning was whether I was using Homebrews and which ones. I listed everything to my sales gal but haven't heard a thing back. I definitely was using Music Remix for listening to Audible books I had purchased from Audible but had to be converted to MP3's and always had my ringer turned up. This time I have forsaken putting even one on for at least a month. If it makes it without speaker failure I'll add one on. (Remix) I also had louder ringtone versions on my first 3 phones but not the last 3. And my first phone lasted about 4 months with the louder ring tones with no problems.

Is it even possible to have a certain frequency put out by an application that would take out a speaker at normal volume? We're talking a week at a time here.

I think you're probably safe though. Just don't admit it if they ask after a failure. They'll latch on to it. They are great about warranty but even I'd be suspicious of me after my luck streak.

G..
    Yeah, it's completely possible to damage a speaker that way. I'm not particularly in the mood to figure out what amplification is used, but there may be a power spike at around 1k, more than the speaker can handle.
  11.    #11  
    Ok! Thanks guys...imma be homebrewing now!
    Don't forget to remove everything but the installers before upgrading to 1.4. That's pretty much what I'm waiting for at this point. No sense in doing all that work now, just to undo it in less than two weeks.
  13.    #13  
    Oh didnt know that...then 2 more weeks it is.... sigh.....1.4 better come fast!!!
    i love the homebrew and i uninstalled everything till 1.4 and am relearning how to use it lol man i miss the patches!!!!!!!
    Palm prē-ist.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiTeBot View Post
    Hey

I have had my Pre plus for about a month now. I now want to start installing homebrew apps and patches (without root). is there any dafety concerns that i mmust know before doing this. Also, verizon has no known opposition to this right?

Thanks
    You have to understand that there is a difference between a homebrew application and a patch. A homebrew application is just an app that isn't in the official app catalog, and even that is incorrect because some homebrews have been accepted into the app catalog and can be downloaded from both places. Maybe the developer didn't want to pay the fees to have it put into the app catalog, especially if they just want to offer it to the public for free, but all it means is that Palm hasn't reviewed the app so it's not "official". Having said that, they're just apps and Palm (and Verizon) is more than happy to have an active homebrew community. The only app that might possibly cause problems with your Pre is MyTether because it has to do some hinky things to some system files in order to work (at least, as I understand it). Other than that, install away with no worries. Also, you can update to 1.4 without any problems no matter how many homebrew apps you have installed. You do not need to uninstall homebrew apps before updating. (I would remove MyTether first, but other than that...) The only caveat is that it's possible that a particular app might stop working after an update, at least until the dev can get it fixed, but applications do not affect system files and will not cause problems with updates.

Now, on to patches. Patches are basically scripts that make changes to the system files of your Pre. So sure, this is an actual modification of the operating system, not just an app that is run by the operating system, but the wonderful people who created Preware and WebOS Quick Install have made sure that the original system files are backed up before changes are made, and there are many, many tools available to assist in fixing any problems that may occur. Having said that, it is possible for you to run into some issues; however, nothing that you install that comes through Preware or Quick Install will bork your Pre so badly that it is unrecoverable. Since these patches edit system files, this is the reason that we used to have to remove all patches before updating, but our lovely WebOS Internals group has recently developed Auto Update Patch Technology (AUPT), which means that removing patches before updates is no longer necessary. I would recommend reading this to understand AUPT, and then install Preware and patch away. Since you won't have to uninstall your patches before updating to 1.4, there's no reason to wait. Personally, I have 63 patches installed, and at least 40 of them, I can't live without. If you really don't want to risk it, at least start patching the minute you have 1.4 installed. Patches are absolutely life changing, so don't be timid!

PS - Preware falls into the category of app, which means you do not need to uninstall it before updating to 1.4!
    Thats why its "homebrew" of course its not completely safe. But since Palm doesnt want to provide these updates for us, somebody has to.
    Shadowcat - great info! Thanks for stating the patch vs. app difference so clearly. I'm brand new to both Palm and smartphones, and there's more of a learning curve than I was expecting. But I like learning curves. I'm looking forward to delving into customization possibilities, and I feel better about making the leap when I come across posts such as yours. So glad I found this forum.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    I had stayed away from homebrew and patches, for a long time, mainly because I've always believed in the KISS, (Keep It Simple, Stupid!), approach to computers and the like.

I installed webOS QI in order to install an app that a developer asked me to do some testing on. After that, I was unable to resist, (it IS futile, after all,), installing Preware...

I've since installed about 20 patches. The options that SHOULD be built into webOS.... simple ones like "call duration in call log", and a character counter or texts, , LED notifications for texts/emails, add date to top bar, timestamps in texts, as well as others that just make the Pre a better , more complete phone, i.e. - 4x4 icons, add launcher pages, close slider to end calls, delete from notification(email),

and, lastly, I installed 1 theme, iPhone-Black-Launcher. (w/ 4x4 icons, the launcher pages look spectacular!) the next day, I went into my local Sprint store, and showed it to my friend, who is the manager - he loved it, (and, a crowd gathered as I showed it to him), - he installed it on his phone that day, (he even set up a computer, w/ info for how to install for new customers.) He told me he's selling way more Pre's now, many new customers think the iPhone theme on the Pre, looks better than the iPhone's GUI!

So, go for it. ...you really don't have a choice, you know....

after all, resistance IS futile! ;-)

EDIT - I forgot to add: - "It's like having a whole new phone." - me, after installing Preware on my Pre last week
    Last edited by ToddK; 02/20/2010 at 07:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCutter View Post
    Shadowcat - great info! Thanks for stating the patch vs. app difference so clearly. I'm brand new to both Palm and smartphones, and there's more of a learning curve than I was expecting. But I like learning curves. I'm looking forward to delving into customization possibilities, and I feel better about making the leap when I come across posts such as yours. So glad I found this forum.
    No problem! I'm rather rabid about how awesome WebOS is due to how easy it is to customize it six ways to sunday. I hate to see people afraid to jump in because they're afraid they'll break something. Sure, you might end up having to run the Doctor, but honestly, it's not that big a deal. (I think I've probably had to doctor my phone 4 times now, and I'm sure others have done it more times than that! ) The people on the forums are (for the most part) pretty friendly and helpful. The only time you'll get attitude is if it seems like you didn't even bother to search for an answer first, but other than that, if you have an issue, people here are happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    So, go for it. ...you really don't have a choice, you know....

after all, resistance IS futile! ;-)
    +1000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guvner View Post
    ..the good folks at Sprint had a talk with me over my 6 speaker failures in a row over the last 5 weeks and their main questioning was whether I was using Homebrews and which ones.
    There is no reasonable technical reason to ask you this question for a speaker failure.

If a webOS application can physically harm the speaker, then that's a bug in webOS. If it was possible (and I doubt that it is), then a Palm App Catalog application, or a Palm beta feed application, or a Palm web feed application, or a homebrew application, would all be able to do it.

The person you spoke to at Sprint is just trying to get out of a hardware failure warranty replacement.

Before you take a phone to Sprint for any type of problem, you should do a full erase and webOS Doctor, and prove the problem on a completely stock configuration phone. If you do that, then it's indistinguishable from a phone that has just come from the factory.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 02/20/2010 at 05:10 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast