1.    #1  
    I have courier-imap running on our unix server with imaps (port 993) enabled. We have our local mail clients connecting to it fine (of course, after we accept the self-signed certificate). However, in the Palm Pre, I cannot seem to get this to work. No matter what file I try to import into the Certificate Manager, I keep getting the dreaded message: The server's security certificate is not a trusted certificate.

I've found this topic in these forums, but it only pertains to windows server:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...blems-eas.html

Is anyone familiar enough with openssl, who might be able to step through how to export my server's files in the right format for the Palm Pre to accept? On my unix server I have the ca.crt, ca.key, server.crt, server.csr and server.key files. I also have the imapd.pem that courier imap uses, which is basically a concatenation of the server.key and server.crt files.

Thanks!
  2.    #2  
    For what it's worth, I've actually imported each of those files manually into the certificate manager and it still gives me the same problem. Does anyone know if they need to be exported to a different format for email? Does that certificate manager even work for email based connections or only for web? I am banging my head trying to figure this one out....
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    To use My self certified mail server, I had to browse to my servers admin page and accept the cert. Then the email worked fine.
    As I recall - you need to import the root certificate into the Pre's certificate manager. That would be the CA certificate that you have BUT it also needs to be in the right format according to this : Palm Support : Palm Pre Sprint - Installing self-signed and privately issued certificates,
  5.    #5  
    I found that page on Palm also, but the only problem is that they expect you to download the cert through the web browser. This is unfortunately for an email client using imaps. I'm just not sure how to utilize openssl to convert the CA cert to the DER format they're requesting.
  6.    #6  
    I've also tried pointing my browser to https:// and http://server:993 but that didn't take....
  7.    #7  
    so I found this nice command:

openssl rsa -in ca.key -outform DER -out ca.der

which gave me the ca.der file. I then tried to import the DER file into the Certificate Manager in the Pre, but now get this upon importing:

"The file cannot be opened because it is not a valid security certificate file format"
    I did this with my mac. Opened the certificate from the keychain application, dragged it to to an e-mail and sent as an attachment which I mailed to myself on another account and then opened it on the pre and added it to the certificate manager.

The file on the mac is .cer
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by joshewah View Post
    I did this with my mac. Opened the certificate from the keychain application, dragged it to to an e-mail and sent as an attachment which I mailed to myself on another account and then opened it on the pre and added it to the certificate manager.

The file on the mac is .cer
    Which cer file did you grab from your keychain application? Also, is your email server with the self-signed cert an IMAP or EAS server?

Thanks!