1.    #1  
    I'm very excited to move to the Pre, I have been using WinMo for the past year and am one of the few people that actually like it. I love the fact that it is a very customizable experience. After seeing the direction that MS is taking WinMo I decided it was time to look other places. (And actually I own and love the Zune HD) What I find most compelling about the Pre is palms attitude towards homebrew. As stated, I do have a few questions.

1. As I understand, the Pre can run native linux applications. I am assuming that is limited to command line apps. Is there a stand alone shell that can be run on the phone? What limitations are there to porting command line applications to the Pre. For instance, I would be interested in seeing an NZB or torrent app for the Pre (For use on WiFi)

2. Is the Pre picky about what kind of usb port it is pluged into for charging. I charge my Zune while at work by pluging it into a dumb terminal that has a few USB ports. Can the Pre do the same.

3. Having WiFi on a WinMo phone was nearly pointless, the phone almost always favored the cellular connection. How does the Pre behave?

4. I've only met one Pre user, his Pre was already pretty ugly when I saw it. I ordered screen protectors with it, but how prone is it to scratches.

TIA
    e_t
    1. I don't think I can answer this one.

2. Yes. I do the same thing with my Pre

3. Pre is either on wifi or not. It doesn't toggle once its conncted to wifi.

4. I haven't had problems with scratches but finger prints and grime is more an issue for me. There are some decent cases and screen protectors available for the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by edit_text View Post
    I'm very excited to move to the Pre, I have been using WinMo for the past year and am one of the few people that actually like it. I love the fact that it is a very customizable experience. After seeing the direction that MS is taking WinMo I decided it was time to look other places. (And actually I own and love the Zune HD) What I find most compelling about the Pre is palms attitude towards homebrew. As stated, I do have a few questions.

1. As I understand, the Pre can run native linux applications. I am assuming that is limited to command line apps. Is there a stand alone shell that can be run on the phone? What limitations are there to porting command line applications to the Pre. For instance, I would be interested in seeing an NZB or torrent app for the Pre (For use on WiFi)

2. Is the Pre picky about what kind of usb port it is pluged into for charging. I charge my Zune while at work by pluging it into a dumb terminal that has a few USB ports. Can the Pre do the same.

3. Having WiFi on a WinMo phone was nearly pointless, the phone almost always favored the cellular connection. How does the Pre behave?

4. I've only met one Pre user, his Pre was already pretty ugly when I saw it. I ordered screen protectors with it, but how prone is it to scratches.

TIA
    e_t
    1) You have full access to a root command line, but that doesn't mean that you can install any software and expect it to run graphically. While there has been some headway made in running X applications natively, most applications will have to be specifically packaged. There's a thriving homebrew community though so I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for (though I'm not aware of any torrent program currently available)

2) The Pre can be plugged into any USB port to charge, it's not picky.

3) If WiFi is activated, it will default to using that. Select third party applications give you the option of which to use as primary and fallback, but the core apps (like the Browser) use WiFi first and foremost, if WiFi is active.

4) It's not a glass screen as I'm sure you're aware, so you will have to be fairly careful. I've had my Pre for months with no screen protector or case of any kind, and it looks in mint condition. But I treat it like my baby. So it depends - if you're rough and ready, then get a screen protector/case - there's lots available from the Accessory Store.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the community
    I'll take a shot at answering, to the best of my ability

I could be wrong, but I do not believe the Pre as it is, can just run any old native linix application. In order to access the linux command line you have to download the Palm SDK and do a few fairly basic things to be able to get to a command line. I think there are some homebrews that give you access to different shells. You can get to the command line via a cable connection directly to the Pre, or you can Putty in, after setting up the ssh and dropbear deamons. Again I could be wrong, but I "think" the linux base of the Pre is some flavor of Debian, but it cant use the general repositories for a linux PC for example. Creating apps for it tho, can be written , when the SDK is installed.

I think any current USB 2.0 would charge it. You just need the right Palm version of the micro usb end that goes in the Pre

Again, my understanding, and from everything I have experienced, when you are connected to wifi, it uses that for anything network, internet related.

It does not scratch badly on the back, the screen really does need a screen protector. I use the "wet" kind, that you have to mix a solution of water and dishsoap, then slide them on, and let it dry overnight. My Pre looks JUST like it did the FINE day in July when I bought it.

Welcome to the Wunnerful World of PRE! Have fun with your new FUNNEST EVER TOY!

I Pre
    I have always been a "Phone" person. My love of "Phones" started at an early age. Avatar to the left, is circa 1952, see the sparkle in my lil toddler eyes
    Cell History: Bag Phone, Brick Phone, Various Micro Tacs, Treo's, Centro, the PRE!

I Pre

5.    #5  
    Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

I should have mentioned that I do have some technical background, much of that with Linux and coding. I would love to get involved with such projects. I can definitely see where a true Linux repository for the Pre could be beneficial. (Something like APT) I know that the device is a phone first, a Linux device second. However, the Linux device is what I really want to tinker with. I will begin porting some stuff as soon as possible. The OMAP is an ARM processor, these are well documented and many things have already been ported to similar platforms. Porting anything like that should be very easy.

e_t
  6.    #6  
    Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself...

It should be possible to get around the lack of ability to interface directly with the GUI by setting up an Apache server on the device and use web interfaces for many applications. By doing so, a user friendly interface could be set up for applications, while allowing them to run native on the device. It may seem like an odd way to approach application development, but it could actually be a quite graceful solution, that would bridge the gap between native WebOS and Linux.

e_t
    Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself...

It should be possible to get around the lack of ability to interface directly with the GUI by setting up an Apache server on the device and use web interfaces for many applications. By doing so, a user friendly interface could be set up for applications, while allowing them to run native on the device. It may seem like an odd way to approach application development, but it could actually be a quite graceful solution, that would bridge the gap between native WebOS and Linux.

e_t
    I look forward to your (evidently expert) contribution to the homebrew community
  8.    #8  
    Not really an expert, if I was really smart I would have done my research before buying the phone. Honestly, alcohol was involved.

Does anyone know if the Pre supports USB host mode?

e_t
    Not sure, but you might find useful information over here: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...8gb-limit.html
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    The homebrew app "Terminal" adds a nice Linux command line. I'm not sure if the Pre will run native apps.
    Store Manager, Authorized Sprint Retailer and Authorized Service Center for Sprint/Nextel devices. Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    Rocking the Evo Shift 4G till Pre3 lands.
    Just adding my two cents....

1. Possibly. WebOS is a fairly heavily modded OS, it'd take some tweaking to get a standard Linux app to run. Not really sure, though.

2. Already well answered. You should get an option on the screen for "just charge" when you plug it in.

3. Appears to me that WiFi works a heck of a lot better than the old Treos, and better than even some "trendy" phones. As to whether or not it stays connected, that's dependent on how far you are from the hotspot. I'll look into that one more, probably tomorrow. We don't have a ton of wifi around here, and honestly.....my Sprint broadband is only marginally slower than my DSL. How pitiful is that. I'll be hanging around the hospital for a couple of hours tomorrow, I'll see what happens.

4. No scratches for me yet, but I'm more careful than most, if I'm not actively using it (sitting down, not walking into trees while texting) it's in a decent holster. You're getting the Touchstone back on your Pre (I had to pay for mine....boo.......), it's got a somewhat grippy texture to it. Shouldn't mark up too badly. Fingerprints, yeah, but it IS a touchscreen phone. Get a little microfiber cloth for cleaning eyeglasses to stick in a pocket if it bugs you.