Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    I'm on a Bell Pre (Canada) and like others my Sprint nav stopped working.

    there has GOT to be a way around this. I have the files but i am guessing the .db file is the one keeping track that it is me

    questions

    how do i completely uninstall sprint nav ? like EVERYTHING. what are the linux command lines for this ? (sorry im new)

    i already uninstalled/reinstalled but it somehow had all my old data....
  2. #2  
    Ya I hate how we got booted from using it while some other Bell users are still lucky enough to still have it running. Hopefully a complete removal would allow us access again.
  3.    #3  
    yeah makes no sense
    there's a linux command to remove it all

    something like ipkg remove sprint or something
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    wow I cannot believe this kind of thing is endorsed here. You are not on Sprint why should you be using their software.
    Yes, anyone who does not share your totalitarian opinion on "Intellectual Property" is a dirt-bag.
  5. #5  
  6. #6  
    i think sprint should charge you for the service you stole from them...
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    wow I cannot believe this kind of thing is endorsed here. You are not on Sprint why should you be using their software.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    i think sprint should charge you for the service you stole from them...
    Actually, technically it's stolen from TeleNav, not Sprint. Sprint doesn't sell anything or offer carrier services in Canada, where he is using it. The app uses Bell bandwidth (paid for). Sprint loses no revenue for this. It is arguable that TeleNav does, though. Although they don't support WebOS or Bell either.

    So, at least get your facts straight.

    Tell Sprint to send me a bill. I'll be happy to pay a fair price for the app. My guess is that they don't care - they can't collect $$ from us anyway. The capital cost was spent on the app for the US market, which the OP is NOT part of. Sprint loses nothing from this.

    And, he is trying to uninstall it. Not install....

    So instead of starting another debate off topic, give it a rest. Everyone understands you don't endorse this. Start your own thread on why using apps from different carriers is unethical, if you want.
  8. dbh123's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    wow I cannot believe this kind of thing is endorsed here. You are not on Sprint why should you be using their software.
    Funny, I don't see any endorsement going on here.

    The OP knows what he's doing and the ethical murkiness of it - there's little point in trying to educate him further about whether it's right or wrong.

    He may even have a valid rationalization - after all Sprint bundling it for free has probably done a lot to discourage anybody else trying to supply a third navigation application to do turn-by-turn navigation - at least initially. It's hard to beat free, especially when you have back end servers holding the maps and doing the route calculation to support.

    For most software there is the zero incremental cost argument (i.e. it costs a supplier nothing if you steal the application) but in this cases it doesn't hold as there are real costs that Sprint is probably giving to Telenav when you use the navigation system (and associated servers).
    Last edited by dbh123; 02/18/2010 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Can't speel woth a dam
  9. dbh123's Avatar
    Posts
    65 Posts
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bill.millett View Post
    The app uses Bell bandwidth (paid for). Sprint loses no revenue for this. It is arguable that TeleNav does, though. Although they don't support WebOS or Bell either.

    So, at least get your facts straight.
    Without wanting to get into the ethics of this you may want to consider the facts too. For many applications what you say may be true but not in this case.

    The map serving (and maybe the routing) are handled by servers at Telenav. I assume Sprint subsidize their use for any customer actually or pretending they are with Sprint as other carriers (i.e. AT&T) make you pay exorbitant amount for effectively the same service.

    So there's a fairly good chance the OP is stealing from both and that there's REAL money involved - not that he seems to care but that's his problem. I'm sure it's frustrating not having a turn-by-turn navigation on his Pre. It's saved my bacon on several occasions.
  10. #10  
    Fire up your favorite command line interface for your phone (putty, preware terminal, novacom, etc) and issue the following commands:
    cd /
    rootfs_open -w
    cd /usr/palm/applications/
    rm -rf com.telenav.app.sprintnavigation
    Reboot
  11. CoobeyMeyer
    CoobeyMeyer's Avatar
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    i think sprint should charge you for the service you stole from them...
    D-bags like you annoy me. Every single time someone mentions taking stealing or using software that doesn't belong to them, these d-bags like you get in on our business. Its stealing so what. It happens. America is ****ed up like that. Why not conform, because you cannot honestly say that you've never stolen anything in your life because you know that would be a damn lie.

    Edit: Haha looks like I scared everyone away XD
    Last edited by CoobeyMeyer; 02/18/2010 at 02:30 PM.
  12. santos's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by CoobeyMeyer View Post
    D-bags like you annoy me. Every single time someone mentions taking stealing or using software that doesn't belong to them, these d-bags like you get in on our business. Its stealing so what. It happens. America is ****ed up like that. Why not conform, because you cannot honestly say that you've never stolen anything in your life because you know that would be a damn lie.

    Edit: Haha looks like I scared everyone away XD
    Nice logic there... Everyone else is doing it so why not me too.

    Grow up. Complain to Bell to offer the service, plain & simple. The more of you thieves that complain, the more likely you'll get it.... And will probably have to pay for.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    wow I cannot believe this kind of thing is endorsed here. You are not on Sprint why should you be using their software.
    I pray to god you are joking and won't even bother responding to such hilarious idiocy.

    Also, please don't for one second think you are "playing by the rules"

    I can assure you that you have illegally downloaded music on your computer.

    or does that not count, Robin Hood ?
  14. #14  
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    wow I cannot believe this kind of thing is endorsed here. You are not on Sprint why should you be using their software.
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Nice logic there... Everyone else is doing it so why not me too.

    Grow up. Complain to Bell to offer the service, plain & simple. The more of you thieves that complain, the more likely you'll get it.... And will probably have to pay for.


    Why would I complain to Bell (takes time and effort) and wait for them to decide what to do (lots of time and effort) when I can just get it for free, with no hassle or effort ?

    are you really that stupid ?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Not available for the Pre.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dbh123 View Post
    So there's a fairly good chance the OP is stealing from both and that there's REAL money involved - not that he seems to care but that's his problem. I'm sure it's frustrating not having a turn-by-turn navigation on his Pre. It's saved my bacon on several occasions.

    1) I am stealing and I could careless. If you said you have never stolen in your life you are not only a total and complete liar, you are an ***** for trying to look so "righteous" when in fact you look like a hypocritical moron.

    2) It's actually not my problem as I got it working.

    3) Thanks for paying for my free service.

    In reality I have a full data/voice plan and I only pay $46.99 CAN a month.
    Last edited by Funkadelick; 02/18/2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: ?
  18. santos's Avatar
    Posts
    578 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    Why would I complain to Bell (takes time and effort) and wait for them to decide what to do (lots of time and effort) when I can just get it for free, with no hassle or effort ?

    are you really that stupid ?
    Yes. I am that stupid. I'm so stupid that I get to enjoy Sprint Navigation while you can't.

    If you're so smart, find a better way to steal software.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    Yes. I am that stupid. I'm so stupid that I get to enjoy Sprint Navigation while you can't.

    If you're so smart, find a better way to steal software.
    No I actually got it working. You just have to use send/receive tool and edit the .db file -- remove your name etc. then send it back

    thanks for paying for my free service, i really do appreciate it.
  20. #20  
    Check your PM's Funkadelick

Posting Permissions