View Poll Results: Does your Pre Plus double-type letters or miss them entirely, and do you see lag?

Voters
984. You may not vote on this poll
  • Double-letters ONLY.

78 7.93%
  • Missed letters ONLY.

43 4.37%
  • Input lag ONLY.

8 0.81%
  • Double-letters and missed letters, but NO input lag.

183 18.60%
  • Double-letters and input lag, but NO missed letters.

29 2.95%
  • Missed letters and input lag, but NO double-letters.

41 4.17%
  • Double-letters, missed letters, AND input lag.

434 44.11%
  • No typing problems.

168 17.07%
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhulk View Post
    In my experience, VZ nav has to be open at least during the initial lock. I usually leave it open in the background anyway as long as I'm using the GPS because, as I've said, I sometimes lose the lock if I close it and the Pre Plus has a ******** amount of memory for cards now.

There is also patches and tweaks to take into account. I have a handful of them applied from Preware and any combination could make a difference.
    I don't think any patches should affect GPS performance unless they directly change the Google Maps code or maybe the GPS on/off shortcuts. Everything else should be separated given the way that the patches work.
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    I don't think any patches should affect GPS performance unless they directly change the Google Maps code or maybe the GPS on/off shortcuts. Everything else should be separated given the way that the patches work.
    I agree. But I work in the I.T. field and it has been my experience that software and firmware can interact in unpredictable ways.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhulk View Post
    I agree. But I work in the I.T. field and it has been my experience that software and firmware can interact in unpredictable ways.
    True, true. I took a number of comp sci courses, digital electronics, and numerical analysis courses in college so I'm familiar with coding, but I've never dealt with SOCs, firmware, or hardware (unless you count CPLDs), so I will defer to the experts on this one!

I thought it might be worth pointing out, also, that I had fully erased and doctored my Pre Plus in anticipation of swapping it for a better keyboard, but when I didn't ha e time the last few days I reinstalled 34 patches. I hadn't tried the GPS since wiping the phone clean, so I thought I'd give it a try. I left everything at the default settings, fired up Google Maps expecting it not to get my correct location, but it nailed it! And it stuck--it didn't lose the lock a few seconds later. The accuracy was slightly off because I'm inside a big building, but it was still clearly getting the right position. I wonder if whatever I changed before could have survived the doctoring. It seems unlikely. Strange.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Can the Moderators please spin the GPS talk to a new topic, yes the GPS thing is important but it detracts from the keyboard issue being discussed and I makking many people miss Palm's call for VZW customers to contact them
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    Can the Moderators please spin the GPS talk to a new topic, yes the GPS thing is important but it detracts from the keyboard issue being discussed and I makking many people miss Palm's call for VZW customers to contact them
    Woops, I hijacked my own thread! No more GPS talk from me! Everybody check out the link in the post above. Palm wants to examine your messed-up keyboard and see what's wrong. Thank you, Palm, for paying attention!
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Palm contacted me, but I'm not sure I should return the phone. My i and o keys would double type all the time, but I mashed each of them firmly (but not too firmly) 5-6 times and they seem to be working much better now. I'll give it another day or two, but I think a few good mashes fixed it.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Palm Contacted me right away to I'm definitly going to do the return, I use complex passwords and this often get me locked out of signing into things.
    I already Thanked HardBeatz if I could again I would VERY PLEASEd
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    I was also contacted immediately. I find Palm's conduct here very impressive. This is how a company builds good will with its customers. Thank you, Palm, for listening and taking a proactive approach to acknowledging the concerns of your customers. I hope some of you Apple fans are watching to see a lesson in excellent customer service.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    I hope some of you Apple fans are watching to see a lesson in excellent customer service.
    LOL you mean Apple TROLLS LOL
    Palm was impressed that I've been with them since Handspring Visor Neo
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MiDoJo View Post
    LOL you mean Apple TROLLS LOL
    Palm was impressed that I've been with them since Handspring Visor Neo
    So true! Not always, though, just to be fair...

I guess I should put up a signature on my posts that says Palm IIIx (hand me down) > Visor Prism > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Pre Plus. That's a lotta Palm!
    Is palm telling you to take it back to VZW for an exchange? I tried click fix, but it didn't really work.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rblack View Post
    Is palm telling you to take it back to VZW for an exchange? I tried click fix, but it didn't really work.
    Not exactly. Palm is collecting some of the phones with the keyboard issues so that they can figure out what's wrong with them.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    I just got off the phone with a customer service rep. at Palm corporate. Palm is collecting a sample of the phones that are exhibiting the double-typing issue so that their engineers can analyze the bad phones to determine what is wrong. They are sending me a replacement Pre Plus along with a shipping label to send my current phone to them. While on the phone I also reported the GPS problem that is being discussed in these forums.

When the new phone arrives next week I will report on the functionality of the keyboard.

I don't know how many phones Palm is looking to collect, but if you're having keyboard issues it would be worth taking a look at the earlier post in this thread by HardBeatZ to see if Palm will also collect your phone for analysis. If you do, you'll benefit twice because 1) you'll get a phone with a good keyboard, and 2) Palm will gain knowledge of how to build a better keyboard, improving the quality of the next Palm products.
    Last edited by Diesel Donkey; 02/27/2010 at 02:00 AM.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I think I sent a private message to the guy in the post above (not sure if it worked- it's not listed in my "sent messages".) Either way, I haven't heard back yet.

I'm having this problem with my Pre+. Sometimes I press a key and the letter will appear twice or even three times. Sometimes I press a key and it won't even register at all. I've tried the button mashing thing, twice, and it may have helped a little, but if so, only a little, and I'm not sure if it helped at all.

I was hoping the 1.4 update would fix this problem, but it's sounding like it may be a hardware issue, so that's that. After the 1.4 software comes out, if it isn't fixed, I'm going to bring my phone back to the Verizon store. I'd love it if the phone I have could be easily fixed through a patch or something.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    My keyboard seems to have improved with usage. I never did the key-mashing fix because it didn't sound like a healthy thing for the phone, but I have typed quite a bit on the phone in the last week, and the last few days in particular. There has a been a VERY noticeable improvement in the number of double letters I'm getting. In fact, it's now quite hard for me to get a double-letter if I'm trying to duplicate the error. My comma key still gives double-characters quite frequently, and I'm thinking that's happening because I just haven't used that key very much, so it hasn't gotten broken in sufficiently as the other keys have.

The occasional input lag is still there, of course, because that's definitely a software issue. And there is still a slight difference in the feel of some of the keys. Some are definitely clickier than others, though I can't seem to find a correlation between the clickiness of the key and how often it produces double letters.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    I was wondering if anybody else has a keyboard that is improving with usage. So, do you?

Edit: And if you saw improvement before with the key-mashing fix, have those improvements stayed around or has your keyboard reverted to double-typing?
    Last edited by Diesel Donkey; 02/27/2010 at 09:42 PM.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I've already replied in this thread, but yes, my keyboard improved dramatically with usage. I still get the occasional double letter but they're rare enough I decided not to return my phone to Palm for a new one (it's only a few weeks old).

My i and o keys were the worst, a few firm mash-mash-mashes on those keys made a 99% improvement.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNNole View Post
    I've already replied in this thread, but yes, my keyboard improved dramatically with usage. I still get the occasional double letter but they're rare enough I decided not to return my phone to Palm for a new one (it's only a few weeks old).

My i and o keys were the worst, a few firm mash-mash-mashes on those keys made a 99% improvement.
    Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that the key-mash fix has stuck for you!
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    My double letter typing issue has disappeared. What worked for me?
    I gave my keys a good workout - by opening notes and simply typing =

q q q w w w e e e r r r t t t y y y u u u i i i o o o p p p
    a a a s s s d d d f f f g g g h h h j j j k k k l l l
    z z z x x x c c c v v v b b b n n n m m m

voila! good to go
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast