View Poll Results: Does your Pre Plus double-type letters or miss them entirely, and do you see lag?

Voters
984. You may not vote on this poll
  • Double-letters ONLY.

78 7.93%
  • Missed letters ONLY.

43 4.37%
  • Input lag ONLY.

8 0.81%
  • Double-letters and missed letters, but NO input lag.

183 18.60%
  • Double-letters and input lag, but NO missed letters.

29 2.95%
  • Missed letters and input lag, but NO double-letters.

41 4.17%
  • Double-letters, missed letters, AND input lag.

434 44.11%
  • No typing problems.

168 17.07%
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    This worked for me also!!! Thank you!!!
    Originally Posted by PDAGeek

I had the same problem. Multiple and missed letters in every sentance. It was so frustrating having to back on every sentance and enter a letter or back space and make corrections. If your a heavy email and text user like myself then I know how frustrated you are getting.

I followed your steps Adam and it fix my issue.

Here is what I did

1) Powe off your Pre
    2) Hard press all the keys with your thumb about 10 times
    3) Hard press each key individually fast 15 times
    4) Power up your pre

If this doesn't fix the issue then maybe you need to get yours replaced. This fixed my issue and I was experiencing this really bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by duck33 View Post
    Wow, I gave this a try and it appears to have worked. Can you please explain to me how this fix actually works? I mean by press all the keys with the phone off, what is it doing?
    I gave this a try too. fingers crossed
    I got my pre plus 2 days ago and have noticed a few double types but so far for me its not a big deal because im use to it. When i used phones without out a keyboard i made errors all the time and when i went to the droid the keyboard was so flat i made errors with that as well. but of course if this problem can be resloved that would be awesome
    some ppl over in the GSM section have a similar issue

http://forums.precentral.net/gsm-pre...backspace.html
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    First the god-awful crappy GPS and nw this?! Seriously Palm *** happened to the QC?
    I am gonna wait until Thursday, after that, I might return it and I'm not kidding as much as I love Palm, I feel betrayed; I sold my iPhone for this?!

Edit: Fixed the issue with the keyboard, power down, press everything like crazy then press individual letters like crazy, power back on.
    Thanks so much, I love this coommmunity.
    Last edited by VVoltz; 02/23/2010 at 08:46 AM.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VVoltz View Post
    First the god-awful crappy GPS and nw this?!
    VVoltz, just FYI, I had a useless GPS, too, until I turned Google Services off and back on again. Now it works just fine. I'm sure a software fix is in the works.
    I've been talking to Palm Support to work with this issue. I'm enrolled in some Support and Repair program. I'll let you all know if anything comes of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAGeek View Post
    I had the same problem. Multiple and missed letters in every sentance. It was so frustrating having to back on every sentance and enter a letter or back space and make corrections. If your a heavy email and text user like myself then I know how frustrated you are getting.

I followed your steps Adam and it fix my issue.

Here is what I did

1) Powe off your Pre
    2) Hard press all the keys with your thumb about 10 times
    3) Hard press each key individually fast 15 times
    4) Power up your pre

If this doesn't fix the issue then maybe you need to get yours replaced. This fixed my issue and I was experiencing this really bad.
    I did this 'fix' this morning and my keyboard COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN. I did a hard reset and STILL CAN'T TYPE to register/log in. DO NOT DO THIS TO YOUR PHONE LEST YOU WIND UP WITH A BRICK LIKE MINE
    Please tell them that when following the 'fix' of thumbing the keys then hitting them multiple times rapidly that the effect was to completely disable the keypad. I reset and STILL can't type.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Wow, I gave this a try and it appears to have worked. Can you please explain to me how this fix actually works? I mean by press all the keys with the phone off, what is it doing?
    Same here, seems to have fixed the issue, this is amazing, lots of thanks.
    All this is being typed from my Pre, so far no errors, I cannoot believe this actually worked. Oops, have to press the O letter a little more.

I would also like an explanation, thou it seems like a quality hardware issue.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Count me among those that tried this with 100% success so far. I typed a very long email immediately after the fix, then set my phone aside for 30 min. and did the same. Hope this lasts...
    Global Posts
    853 Global Posts
    Sounds to me like a good solid break in. I think the rubberized keys may catch on the sides when typing causing the double typing. My keyboard feedback feels much easier to type on too. This was definitely a great idea.
    Not sure how this fixes this problem. I'm assuming that this is a hardware issue? My take is that when they put the keyboard together somehow the keys just got stuck in some weird mode. By pressing them with some pressure it freed it from its strange stuck mode. Thatís just a wild guess. Some people are not experiencing this issue, so that should rule out that itís a software issue. Then again, Iím not an Engineer.

It will be interesting to see the outcome for others too? I think this is really a hardware issue and not software. Palm needs to address this and address it soon. So much for Verizon having strict testing processes before releasing their products.
    I tried it and it seems to have worked somewhat. 'i' and 'e' still double type but 'r' seems to be less troublesome. Maybe I'll try the fix again at home later.
    Thanks for the tip
    Christa
    wife, mother, nerd and proud of it
    I have already returned my first Palm Pre Plus due to the keyboard issue--it was sometimes even tripling and quadrupling E and I and N's. I took it to a Verizon store and they replaced it no questions asked after about 3 weeks of having the Pre and it's problems. That was after I called Palm and they told me to go to a store. The new one definitely works better but seems to double letters occasionally on S and T after I've had it for a week or so. Lots better than the first one though!
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    I voted that I had missed and double keystrokes. I never had the lag issue.

so I tried the power down and keyboard swipe/multi press and then logged in to this site with the pre+. I typed this message without going back to make corrections. So far it seems as if the problem is gone. Even if this is a temporary fix, it's nice to be able to type without pressing the backspace key on a regular basis
    I have a Palm Pre Plus w/ Verizon and i've had the same issues.
    2 interesting things - (for an unrelated reason) I just recieved a replacement phone today and they keyboard feels slighty different. I cant imagine its because i've had the old phone for 2 weeks and i somehow wore down those keys.
    Also, has anyone noticed that if you hold down a key it repeats the character until you let go..thats not really odd, but i've never experienced that feature on a smartphone before. I had that problem with an overly sensitive keyboard /computer some years ago and i simply disabled or reduced the repeat rate. I wonder if something as simple as that can be done for this keypad.
    Thank God!! I thought it was only me! I was thinking that it was me switching to the Palm Pre Plus's smaller keyboard that was causing me to make these kinds of mistakes. I get double letters, missed letters and input lag.
    I really hate to say this but I think I am returning my Palm Pre and gonna wait for the Nexus one. The battery life on the pre is HORRIBLE. Then it keeps randomly shutting off on me and the only way to turn it back on is to remove the battery and put it back in. Quite honestly it's annoying and very difficult to remove the battery.
    It's a shame I really wanted to keep the Palm Pre I liked it sooo much
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    I went to Verizon yet again, but today they told me that the keyboard was a software issue that would be fixed on Friday. I too bought this phone, fell in love with it and now hate it. I bashed my BB for a bad screen, crappy internet, but at the end of the day it worked, more than I can say for the Pre +.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clkgtr37 View Post
    I went to Verizon yet again, but today they told me that the keyboard was a software issue that would be fixed on Friday. I too bought this phone, fell in love with it and now hate it. I bashed my BB for a bad screen, crappy internet, but at the end of the day it worked, more than I can say for the Pre +.
    I wonder if they actually meant Thrusday, when 1.4 is reeleased, oobviously as you can see, I'm still having the issue, it is overly annoying, typing slow is not for me.
    I still have until sunday t return y pre+, and I' seriously considering it, Pallm really disappointed me here.