View Poll Results: Does your Pre Plus double-type letters or miss them entirely, and do you see lag?

Voters
984. You may not vote on this poll
  • Double-letters ONLY.

78 7.93%
  • Missed letters ONLY.

43 4.37%
  • Input lag ONLY.

8 0.81%
  • Double-letters and missed letters, but NO input lag.

183 18.60%
  • Double-letters and input lag, but NO missed letters.

29 2.95%
  • Missed letters and input lag, but NO double-letters.

41 4.17%
  • Double-letters, missed letters, AND input lag.

434 44.11%
  • No typing problems.

168 17.07%
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Less than 24% of the people responding to this poll are reporting no keyboard problems. If people are being honest and it is a representative sampling of the current hardware and software configuration, 76 out of a 100 people who return their phones will have the same or a similar problem with the new phone. The fix described by Adam and PDAGeek in an earlier post is probably the best option.
    I don't have a Pre Plus, but my Sprint Pre has been doing this for a while now. I know someone else w/ a Sprint Pre and she said that her's didn't do it so I just chalked it up as user issue. But now that I see that others are having the same issue I'm beginning to think that my phone has an issue
    I'm having the same problem. I text and type fairly quickly so I sort of assumed I was just hitting the wrong keys or multi-tapping but after seeing so many people are having the same issue, I have renewed confidencein my typing skills!! I've actually gotthe pre on Sprint. Slightly different hardware so I'm inclined to believe it might be a software issue. It hasn't been a big enough problem for me to really get irritated about though.
    I got my Pre Plus on launch day and I love it. I am most noticeably having the double letter problem. At first I thought it was my typing, but then started to recognize that it could be something else. I often have missed letters but am never sure that I didn't just miss the key. I'm going to start paying more attention now. Please let us know if the replacement helps. I hate to go that route unless it's a sure thing.
    Man this post made me realize that I wasn't a clumsy typer. The past few days the last letter or first letter of a word would double especial the E on the end..
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by digorykirk View Post
    The poll results are making it look like this is a chronic software or hardware issue and it is not likely that exchanging the handset will fix it. Based on the poll, the odds are that your next handset will have the same problems (or worse). Diesel Donkey, did you exchange yours and does the new handset have the same problems?
    I haven't had a chance to return mine yet, and now I'm thinking I might not. Generally the problem isn't that bad, even if it is annoying, and I'm extremely happy with the phone other than the occasional keyboard problem. I'm afraid I'll end up with a loose slider or dead pixels if I return the one I have now. That being said, Thursday or Friday is the earliest that I'll have a chance to go to the Verizon store, so hopefully webOS 1.4 will drop before then and there will be a fix.

There's no way that this probably is entirely in software, however, because it effects different letters more than others on different phones. Also, one of my worst keys physically clicks differently than the rest. It feels a bit "mushier" and seems to have slightly less travel.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by digorykirk View Post
    Less than 24% of the people responding to this poll are reporting no keyboard problems. If people are being honest and it is a representative sampling of the current hardware and software configuration, 76 out of a 100 people who return their phones will have the same or a similar problem with the new phone. The fix described by Adam and PDAGeek in an earlier post is probably the best option.
    I'm sure people are being honest in the poll, but the issue is that many more people who have problems will seek out this thread than people who don't have problems. I generally only visit these forums when I have a problem, as I think is the case for many people, so the majority of the responses are going to be negative. In no way should this poll be considered a valid representation of the true number of problematic Pre Pluses. It is, however, clearly an indication that the keyboard problem is a real one and not isolated to just a couple of cases.
    I have the double letters and lag, its getting progressively worst.
    voted.

the letter g on mine 50% of the time either doubles or doesn't type at all.
    and 50% might be generous...it might be more than that.
    FWIW, I went through about 4 different Verizon Palm Pre Plus phones. Each of them had a different issue. My last replacement came directly from Palm and has had no issues whatsoever (so far). I did experience the double typing problem on a few of my other replacement units, but they only developed after typing on them for over a week. I've not had my new replacement for quite that long, so I will come back and vote after another week goes by.

While the UI does lag in startup times and in other areas (scrolling ,etc), I have not detected a lag with typing as of yet (defined as when the words catch up later). I did not experience this on any of the different phones I went through, even though some exhibited that double-typing issue. Perhaps this is a different problem altogether.

One thing I wanted to start (but never got around to it) was a thread/poll on users who have purchased Palm Pre Plus units, their locations where they purchased it and if its working fine or what the problem they're having is. I believe that there are similar problems based on the locations where we have picked up our phones. Of the 2 different stores I've visited, two of the replacement phones offered similar problems from the same store. Even the VZ technician spotted it right away and just took the first one back immediately before I made a stink.

Oddly enough, one store I went to, in another state, gave me a Pre Plus box (supposedly new) but it had a second 1.3.5.1 patch sticker over the original printed SW version, where the other boxes did not. Upgrade at the store? I don't know, maybe just a misprint? Perhaps someone who works at Verizon can comment. My thoughts on the poll were to find out if certain locations had similar problems, then maybe Palm can track down which shipment bundles are having issues. Of course, if Palm is doing things right (I'm sure they are), then they are able to get that from the serial numbers, I suppose....

But for now, so far, everything is going very well for my new Pre Plus.....
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    if I type letters that are adjacent to each other in rapid succession, such as G then H, the second letter is always a blank! If I then try non-adacent letters in rapid succession such as G then J, there is no blank. Try it on yours.
    Would this indicate hardware or software issue?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I had palm phones since the treo 600 and had alwas had issues with lag while typing, so much that I'm used to it by now. But it still sucks to type "car" and get "caar" 2 second later.
    yes i am having the same issues with double letters. at first i thought maybe its just me trying to type to fast, but now that i see this post make me think differently.
    Lag...LAG you have got to be kidding me!!! You want to experience lag go buy a Treo 700p or a Treo 755p. Those phones were unbelievably laggy. How do I know...I OWNED BOTH OF THEM!!! By the end I couldn't stand it anymore, and I was begging for the Pre Plus. WebOS doesn't lag for me at all, but I have had double letters pop up, and I have had missed letters too. Does it suck? Yeah a little bit, but I'm not going to cry over it like I did with the lag issues with the Treos.

For me the phone is so awesome that I can handle it.
    I'm on verizon with a pre plus. the keys are actually getting quite annoying with the double, triple, and however many letters. It does it kind of a lot now... It's been less than 30 days and can probably get a new one for free still... do you think I should try to? or is it a software problem?
    went to my local verizon stoore tooday to get a replacemnt phone. The tech guy I talked to said they could give me another pre plus, but recommended waiting until palm gets a sooftware update out that fixes thhe keyboard issues. He said others have exchaned their phones only to have the same keyboard issues. He said to wait a month to see what happens...

p.s. The typos above are from the issues cited by many others.
    Yes I am experiencing all three on my pre plus
    Sorry I could not vote

Because there was no poll for when typing special characters only.
    I am also having this same issue, and I really didn't think much of it (like it seems most of you have done) but after reading through this it seems like there is a major issue. I got my pre+ the first week they were available on Verizon, and I will say I didn't notice this issue right away. The only question is whether I should wait for 1.4 to drop (hopefully this week) or try returning it (which doesn't seem to be a good solution). Hopefully they get this figured out soon.
    WOW! Great poll. i really hope this gets the attention of Palm.
    ORIGINAL HANDSPRING TREO USER! I ROCKED IT WITH PRIDE!!!
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast