View Poll Results: Does your Pre Plus double-type letters or miss them entirely, and do you see lag?

Voters
984. You may not vote on this poll
  • Double-letters ONLY.

78 7.93%
  • Missed letters ONLY.

43 4.37%
  • Input lag ONLY.

8 0.81%
  • Double-letters and missed letters, but NO input lag.

183 18.60%
  • Double-letters and input lag, but NO missed letters.

29 2.95%
  • Missed letters and input lag, but NO double-letters.

41 4.17%
  • Double-letters, missed letters, AND input lag.

434 44.11%
  • No typing problems.

168 17.07%
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021 LastLast
    I've got a Pre+ with Verizon running WebOS 1.4.5 and the keyboard issues have continued to get worse. In most causes it's the vowels not working at all which makes my texts seem very non-readable. I only bought the Pre+ 3/29/10 and aside from the keyboard and battery life issues have been very happy with it.
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    Does anybody know if simply replacing the keyboard assembly will correct this issue?
    I've been having an awful time with double and skipped characters recently. I thought that the last webOS update had improved it but the issue seemed to be back with a vengeance... So much so that I bought a Pixi Plus to try (which types much better, btw). In the process, I re-doctored my Pre and found that they keyboard was working fine again- great, actually. The Pixi Plus keyboard is dramatically better but at least the Pre Plus keyboard is tolerable again.

In thinking back, I was using one of the overclocking kernels for a while but found the govnah keeped showing "unknown" for the profile after about a day. I tried to switch back to the stock and then back to the overclocking kernel but had some issue and ended up using some other overclocking kernel that was in preware. I'm guessing that the other one didn't have whatever keyboard fixes are in the newer webos and when the keyboard malfunctioning returned, I didn't realize the cause.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrish View Post
    In thinking back, I was using one of the overclocking kernels for a while but found the govnah keeped showing "unknown" for the profile after about a day. I tried to switch back to the stock and then back to the overclocking kernel but had some issue and ended up using some other overclocking kernel that was in preware. I'm guessing that the other one didn't have whatever keyboard fixes are in the newer webos and when the keyboard malfunctioning returned, I didn't realize the cause.
    You are correct. The older (non-webOS Internals) overclocking solutions are based on an outdated kernel, and installing them removes the updated keyboard code that prevents (mostly) the double-typing problem.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
    i just did a pre > pre plus switch. Man this keyboard sucks. I like the clickyness of it but the double typing, lagged input is horrible.
    so the general idea here is to just replace the fone if its missing the top row vowels?
    I got a refurbed device a while back and wow night and day difference. My keyboard now is better than my old treo keyboard
    I had asurion replace my vzw pre plus due to a crack that was creeping around to the front of the screen.

I've had the new one for about a month, using it daily and the replacement keyboard hasn't done ANY of the skipping and missing that the previous pre did. Also, the option key seems to work correctly. On my previous two pre's, I always wrestled with the option key and wondered if I just fundamentally didn't understand how it was supposed to work. I'd get no symbol when I wanted one, or else I'd get symbol lock when I just wanted it on one letter. That's all gone.

Sounds like the suspicions about the early ones have bad keyboard manufacturing might be true. My first two were in Jan or Feb of 2010 when the pre + first came out.

The pixi keyboard is still massively better but my pre is usable at least now (and has no crack!)
    Last edited by chrish; 04/01/2011 at 08:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    You are correct. The older (non-webOS Internals) overclocking solutions are based on an outdated kernel, and installing them removes the updated keyboard code that prevents (mostly) the double-typing problem.
    I'm using the most recent (well, installed about a month ago) uberkernal and Govnah combo, and I get the problem of the setting changing from Screenstate 500/1000 to something else (can't remember if it is always the same setting when it changes). I have noticed the keyboard problems returning also. Is it possible that one of the old overclocking solutions with an outdated kernel is stored on my device? I only installed uberkernal.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

I just received my (used) Pre Plus off of eBay; I love the phone - which I've had less than 24 hours - but the keyboard is crazy.

I've had to type in login info for the WiFi, Facebook, email accounts, etc. and I'm literally down to typing with one thumb like this: I <space> c...a...n...n (again, because the first n didn't take)...t <space> b...e...l...i...e... (again because the first e didn't take)...v...e <space> h...o...w <space> s...l...o...w...

Well, you get the picture. I'm an old Palm Pilot hand and just came off a Blackberry curve 8530. As I said, I love the Pre Plus but because I use this for business as well as messaging/social networking, I REALLY need the keyboard to work better...any ideas?

Thanks

X
    So, I have been fussing with Palm tech support over a keyboard problem involving missed key presses, completely repeatable, and on EVERY Pre I have tried (10 and counting), including Sprint Pre- & Pixi and Verizon Pre2.

Palm, of course, completely denies that this problem has ever been reported to them (including my first report of this to them nearly a year ago, which they put on file). They keep insisting that I should run WebOS Doctor on my Pre. Of course, I have done this several times before and even brand new stock Pres exhibit the behavior right out of the box. Still they do not seem to care.

To repeat this yourself, you might have to be a fairly fast Pre typist. But here are a few of the key combinations that always skip the second key press if you type them fast enough in sequence:

<space>c cv xc bn cf ds we as

I am sure there are more, but here is an example of what happens when I type. Most common is the missing "c"'s in this sentence:

The at's in the radle.

(should be "The cat's in the cradle")

Totally repeatable on EVERY PRE I HAVE SEEN, but yet they deny this problem. There's even a hacked rom kernel that supposedly addresses this issue (but I won't install it as Palm should fix it).

No, I won't type slower. I bought this device to save me time, not make my life miserable.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    There is another thread that explains this is a defect with grime being between the keys. You can fix it by cleaning it but that requires you to disassemble the phone some.

Sucks palm doesn't just admit to the problem.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I've been on 2.1 for about a month or more, and the double-typing has disappeared. But now the text message screen lags when you send messages..
    I have several missed letters and it seems to be random which ones want to skip, but for the most part it is a,c,s,r,t,y,l and space.
    Help keep WebOS homebrew alive! Donate to WebOS Internals!

Sprint Pre Plus - WebOS 2.1.0 - F105 Thunderchief Kernel

Einhorn is Finkel! ... Finkel is Einhorn!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Can't wait to upgrade to the Pre 2 next month.
    Check the thread about cleaning the keyboard. My Pre+ had missing and repeating letters. When I disassembled my Pre+ and peeled the white material with the keys and the domes off the flex circuit board, it was obvious that there was contamination (discoloration) of the key pads (a inner and outer circle that when shorted by the key dome cause a key stroke to be registered). I cleaned the flex and the domes with iso. alcohol and re-assembled the phone. The keyboard has not, at all, repeated or missed characters since (this is about a month+ since I did this).

Follow the thread and perform this cleaning. You will NOT be sorry. If you're uncomfortable with the actual procedure of separating the keyboard parts and cleaning them, then you can purchase a new keyboard on-line, or you could demand that the keyboard be replaced by your carrier or by Palm. If it's out of warranty, then you'll likely have to either pay for them to replace it, if you go that route.

Being in the electronics manufacturing industry, it was obvious to me why this could be an issue. All it takes is a run of production where they forget to properly clean the components (or try to save some money by cutting the step out), and having contamination cause contact issues. It was probably residue from the flex manufacturing process. They may not have properly washed them, or didn't bake the moisture out long enough leaving the residue.
    my update:
    just got a refurb pre+, though i think this time i'm going to lay off the kernal hack & i'm a little worried what verizon is going to think when they get my hacked up old pre+
    my sprint pre does all of em "Double-letters, missed letters, AND input lag." has for about a year. i loathe typing on that thing.
  19. ZFF
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Check the thread about cleaning the keyboard. My Pre+ had missing and repeating letters. When I disassembled my Pre+ and peeled the white material with the keys and the domes off the flex circuit board, it was obvious that there was contamination (discoloration) of the key pads (a inner and outer circle that when shorted by the key dome cause a key stroke to be registered). I cleaned the flex and the domes with iso. alcohol and re-assembled the phone. The keyboard has not, at all, repeated or missed characters since (this is about a month+ since I did this).
    Can you post a direct link to this? There are SO MANY similar complaints about the keyboard I'm having trouble finding it.

Tnx,
    Z
    Quote Originally Posted by ZFF View Post
    Can you post a direct link to this? There are SO MANY similar complaints about the keyboard I'm having trouble finding it.

Tnx,
    Z
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...d-problem.html