View Poll Results: Does your Pre Plus double-type letters or miss them entirely, and do you see lag?

Voters
984. You may not vote on this poll
  • Double-letters ONLY.

78 7.93%
  • Missed letters ONLY.

43 4.37%
  • Input lag ONLY.

8 0.81%
  • Double-letters and missed letters, but NO input lag.

183 18.60%
  • Double-letters and input lag, but NO missed letters.

29 2.95%
  • Missed letters and input lag, but NO double-letters.

41 4.17%
  • Double-letters, missed letters, AND input lag.

434 44.11%
  • No typing problems.

168 17.07%
Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718192021 LastLast
    Finally, after 3 months of a using a Pre+ that double typed, I saw the light and got a replacement. I never knew how much the double typing affected me until I used my friends Pre+. Needless to say I went into the VZW store and got a replacement (refurb). So far I haven't had any issues double typing. It's not near as laggy when I type either.

FWIW, the VZW tech said taht palm knew they had a hardware issue with some of the early keyboards. He also said the keyboard issue was worked out. I highly recommend anyone experiencing the problem to go get a replacement.
    I've had my Pre Plus for just over a week now and I'm noticing the double letter, missed letter, and lag more and more. I want to like this phone, I really do. But I'm getting frustrated with all the little issues (and the uncertain future of Palm doesn't make me feel great either). Obviously I'm still within my 30 day trial period... should I just go back to the Verizon store and see if I can get a new one? I don't want a refurb since I paid for a BRAND NEW unit a week ago. Or should I just say screw it and try out a different phone altogether. As a side note, my phone is already starting to do the oreo thing where it twists. It's not horrible yet but again it's bad enough to where I notice it and it annoys me... and it's only been a week. I'm just really second-guessing myself on my phone choice here.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IBM4VT View Post
    I've had my Pre Plus for just over a week now and I'm noticing the double letter, missed letter, and lag more and more. I want to like this phone, I really do. But I'm getting frustrated with all the little issues (and the uncertain future of Palm doesn't make me feel great either). Obviously I'm still within my 30 day trial period... should I just go back to the Verizon store and see if I can get a new one? I don't want a refurb since I paid for a BRAND NEW unit a week ago. Or should I just say screw it and try out a different phone altogether. As a side note, my phone is already starting to do the oreo thing where it twists. It's not horrible yet but again it's bad enough to where I notice it and it annoys me... and it's only been a week. I'm just really second-guessing myself on my phone choice here.
    Head over to Verizon and get yourself a brand new replacement with a good keyboard! You can try a completely different phone, but you'll probably come back
    I have had my pre plus on VZW since late Jan. Initially I had the double type/missed letter issue, and still occ do, but I have noticed a significant improvement over time....and I'm still on my original pre plus. Anyone else notice this?

I guess that points to a hardware issue where the keys need to be broken in. I do a lot of emailing/texting/posting on precentral, plus my pre is on every 10 minutes (im addicted) and I do notice the keyboard works fine when the phone is on for a while as opposed to a cold start.

another observation...its seems that when I do get a double typed letter or missed letter, it feels as though the phone is doing something else at the same time and there is a lag then catch up feeling.

I posted this elsewhere in the forums, but even if the keyboard is indeed a hardware issue, it seems easily correctable with a software update that either corrects the communication btwn the hardware and software or uses an intelligent spell checker that can autocorrect words with three letters, missed letters, and words with double letters that don't belong, like badd vs bad.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Just wanted to add:

For those of you who really like the pre and want to continue liking it, but do not want to deal with the shoddy pre hardware or the double typing, etc, get a palm pixi plus (I would not recommend the palm pixi for lack of wifi). If you're on sprint, you can still get a palm pixi plus from craigslist and run a meta-doctor patched doctor restore to get it working.

I've been using this pre plus for a few days now, and I love how smooth, fluid, and powerful it is compared to the pixi. Running 10-15 browser windows at once is no problem at all.

*However*, I'm starting to feel that I want to go back to the pixi. No double typing, no input lag, no wobbly slider, always-accessible keyboard, and much much thinner than the pre. I'll see if I still feel this way once my replacement pre that *doesn't* double type arrives.

But yeah- if you're disappointed with the pre but really like webOS, all is not lost. I've been a cell phone "power user" for a while now (owned treo 650s, ppc 6800s, the g1, droid, nexus one, iphone 2g/3g, etc etc), and I have no problem whatsoever using the "underpowered/limited" pixi.
    just put some epoxy on the Pre's slider to lock it open... instant Pixi but with a bigger screen!
    update: I was going to just deal with myy keyboard probs since VZ said they wouldn't replace mine, but luckily my keyboard completely stoopped working this weekend. I had to keep doing battery pulls to get it back. I took it in to a differrent VZ store today and they were out of them but a brand new one will be in the mail tomorrow. I'm so happy!
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    My wife and I both got our pre plus in Feb from the verizon store. We did not have any typing issues until about a month ago and it started on both of ours at the same time. We now both have double letters, missing letters, and input lag while typing. After rebooting the phones, I notice it doesnt happen as much, then it slowely comes back again. Also, I haven't tried it in many other apps, but I notice it the most in the SMS app (haven't seen it occur yet in email or sticky notes, etc.). I believe the issue is purely software based--especially due to the fact that its completely gone after rebooting, then slowely returns again. I think this all started after webOS 1.4.
    Not all treasure is silver and gold.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DSDxp View Post
    My wife and I both got our pre plus in Feb from the verizon store. We did not have any typing issues until about a month ago and it started on both of ours at the same time. We now both have double letters, missing letters, and input lag while typing. After rebooting the phones, I notice it doesnt happen as much, then it slowely comes back again. Also, I haven't tried it in many other apps, but I notice it the most in the SMS app (haven't seen it occur yet in email or sticky notes, etc.). I believe the issue is purely software based--especially due to the fact that its completely gone after rebooting, then slowely returns again. I think this all started after webOS 1.4.
    I think that if this were purely a software problem then it would happen to all phones in the same way. But it doesn't. Some are affected and some aren't. Some specific keys are fine on one Pre Plus and terrible on another. The double-typing Pre Plus that I had didn't care what version of webOS it was running; it always double-typed and missed letters no matter what.

I'm not sure about the rebooting fix--this is the first I've heard of that. I do agree that the frequency of the problem can change with time, but I (and lots of other folks here) seem to have had the opposite experience from yours, which is interesting. My Pre would get better as it warmed up, and it also got better with age. I think what happens is that the keys get physically hung up sometimes when you depress them, and they fail to pop up again right away. With time you can wear away some of the sticky bits on the edges of the keys, and on a shorter timescale use of the phone makes the keys warmer and more malleable, and therefore less prone to getting stuck.
    It's definitely a hardware problem, and possibly a software one too. The first Pre Plus I received had the double typing right at the very beginning and was impossible to type on. I swapped it out and got another one (new). It was fine for a week then the double letters started again, but the occurence was much much less than the first one I got so it's bearable (for now). I notice some correlation between lag and the double types, but no doubt there's hardware involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    I'm not sure about the rebooting fix--this is the first I've heard of that. I do agree that the frequency of the problem can change with time, but I (and lots of other folks here) seem to have had the opposite experience from yours, which is interesting.
    Mine is the exact same as described by DSDxp. It is the worst in sms, it is ok in the morning but as the day progresses it gets worse. A reboot will give me about 30 minuets of typing with no problems then it starts slowly again. The warmer my phone is, the worse it types.
    Well, according to Verizon's patch notes 1.4.1.1 should bring "Keyboard input improvements". We'll see what happens.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    I got my replacement pre plus today, direct from palm, and the keyboard is flawless. No lag, accurate, responsive, no double/triple typing. However, the bottom right hand corner of the display has a white/yellowish bright spot about a centimeter across. what. the. ****. This is on top of palm support screwing up my advanced exchange so bad that they now have TWO holds for $432 charged to my debit card, for one active order.

This is my 5th pre (3 on sprint, 2 on verizon), and 6th webos device. So far, palm's track record for me is an 83% failure rate. I have yet to touch a palm pre where *everything* on the phone works at the same time. I don't believe such a model exists. working keyboard, tight slider, accurate gps, functioning display. pick 2-3.

I'm sorry, but as much as I love webOS, I think I'm going to have to switch back to a droid. Perhaps I'll come back when HP makes some real hardware, but this pre makes webOS even more tragic - such a great OS, hampered by a clueless marketing/business unit and a ****ty hardware chain made by a 9 year old kid in a tree in thailand.

It's not you, palm. it's me. Oh, wait, no. It's totally you. Don't call me and don't let the door hit your *** on the way out.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    Just received my first warranty replacement today, and I am already getting double-typed letters.

I say my first because I have already ordered my second warranty replacement because the unit they sent me has a defect.
    Nicky
    This issue was addressed with the latest webOS update. Please update your device to the latest version.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    This issue was addressed with the latest webOS update. Please update your device to the latest version.
    After impatiently awaiting this fix and dealing with an almost unusable keyboard, I really hope this update solves the problem!

Downloading now...
    After updating to 1.4.1.1, my double/triple lettering is gone!

BUT - I still notice it is missing many button presses, where when I am typing and I press a key, that letter will not show up on the screen.

I am happier, but maybe not happy enough to keep the device.

Anybody else upgraded?
    Just updated

Duplicate/Triplicate typing fixed

Missing letters still not fixed...but I may just not be pressing hard enough
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scottdog123 View Post
    After updating to 1.4.1.1, my double/triple lettering is gone!

BUT - I still notice it is missing many button presses, where when I am typing and I press a key, that letter will not show up on the screen.

I am happier, but maybe not happy enough to keep the device.

Anybody else upgraded?
    Just got 1.4.1.1, I'm still getting double letters, albeit more rarely than before. And yeah the missed inputs are still a problem...
    downloaded 1.4.1 and it completely fixed my keyboard issues