View Poll Results: Does your Pre Plus double-type letters or miss them entirely, and do you see lag?

Voters
984. You may not vote on this poll
  • Double-letters ONLY.

78 7.93%
  • Missed letters ONLY.

43 4.37%
  • Input lag ONLY.

8 0.81%
  • Double-letters and missed letters, but NO input lag.

183 18.60%
  • Double-letters and input lag, but NO missed letters.

29 2.95%
  • Missed letters and input lag, but NO double-letters.

41 4.17%
  • Double-letters, missed letters, AND input lag.

434 44.11%
  • No typing problems.

168 17.07%
Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by linkboom View Post
    took my phone to verizon today and they would not replace it. I was unable to get my phone to mess up while standing there. They said it was me texting to fast. Oh well...im going to the next city over and try there.
    Good luck. I went to 3 Verizons and had no luck. They kept acting like I was the problem, even when I brought my Palm Support chat transcript. Let me know how it works out for you!
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mzlou2 View Post
    I would definitely bring it back and swap. You might get lucky and get a later manufactured Pre without the issue. But be careful: Verizon seems to think it's a software issue and might give you a hard time. My local Verizon refuses to let me swap out, even after I brought my chat transcript with a Palm rep authorizing me to get a new one, because they think it will be fixed with the next update (or they are tired of losing money since this would be my 4th Pre w/n my 30 days). It's a shame because I also think it's a hardware issue (my warranty code is from 1/13/2010), and I just want a Pre that isn't plagued with the keyboard issue, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. I'm not even excited about switching to the Incredible (especially with the $200+ price tag), but Verizon leaves me with no choice!
    That Incredible is going to cost you a lot more than $200 if you got your Pre on contract!
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Anybody trying to swap could always mention that the GPS doesn't work right (without opening VZ Nav or something), since I don't think it does on ANY Pre Plus. Then just leave Google Services on when you demonstrate it and I bet it won't work right!
    Well I think I should be able to switch since I'm in my 30 day time limit. They did a bunch of "troubleshooting steps", and told me that if it was still doing in a few days that I could bring it back no hassle. Well its been about 4 hours and even though it did stop for awhile the problem seems to be creeping back. Where do you find the manufacture date??
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Well I think I should be able to switch since I'm in my 30 day time limit. They did a bunch of "troubleshooting steps", and told me that if it was still doing in a few days that I could bring it back no hassle. Well its been about 4 hours and even though it did stop for awhile the problem seems to be creeping back. Where do you find the manufacture date??
    I guess they're hoping you'll convince yourself that it's okay or not want to make the effort to return.

You can find the warranty date code, which may or may not be the manufacturing date ( Don't know how closely related the are) by going into the phone application and pressing ##RTN#. Then the date will be near the very bottom of the list of stuff that comes up.
    Diesel -

Can you tell me how to check the warranty date code you reference? I'm on my second phone and it seemed good for about the first month. Now that I'm outside of the 30 day window it's going downhill...
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loric View Post
    Diesel -

Can you tell me how to check the warranty date code you reference? I'm on my second phone and it seemed good for about the first month. Now that I'm outside of the 30 day window it's going downhill...
    Hi loric,
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck. See my post 2 posts up from here for info on finding the warranty date.
    I just typed all 3 rows of keys 3 times each and didn't have any deletions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    That Incredible is going to cost you a lot more than $200 if you got your Pre on contract!
    I'm still within my 30 days so I just have to pay the $35 "restocking fee," but I can still get the New Every 2 price on the phone. I'm still bummed though because I don't really want an Incredible, I want a working Pre +. But like I said above, Verizon told me I could only have one more swap out, and I'm not willing to roll the dice and hope my next Pre + doesn't double type.
    my date is 1/13/2010
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    my date is 1/13/2010
    That's the same as the date on the Pre I sent back to Palm. Maybe it was a bad batch.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    I'm still within my 30 days so I just have to pay the $35 "restocking fee," but I can still get the New Every 2 price on the phone. I'm still bummed though because I don't really want an Incredible, I want a working Pre +. But like I said above, Verizon told me I could only have one more swap out, and I'm not willing to roll the dice and hope my next Pre + doesn't double type.
    That's too bad. Of course, you never know, you might get a malfunctioning Incredible! I think I'd still rather have a double-typing Pre than an Android device. At least the Pre HAS a keyboard!
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I just typed all 3 rows of keys 3 times each and didn't have any deletions.
    Sooooo...all your keys except backspace work?
    That's the same as the date on the Pre I sent back to Palm. Maybe it was a bad batch.
    Same date as mine too . . . I wonder what went wrong?
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Same date as mine too . . . I wonder what went wrong?
    My theory is that Palm went through a few desgn iterations on the Pre Plus after it became clear that the original one could result in sticky keys. The three phones I've tried with three different warranty dates have all felt quite different. I supppose, though, that it's possible to explain that away as variations in the manufacturing. I think they feel too different, though, for that to be the case.
    That could be the problem. I have a date of 01/13/2010 and have a bad double typing problem. My daughter's Pre Plus is dated 01/03/2010 and doesn't have a problem.

Just checked with my dad, who also has the double-typing problem. His date is 01/7/2010. In the post below, they had two from 01/07/2010. So maybe it was a problem with those manufactured in that time frame.
    Last edited by gapost; 04/19/2010 at 07:06 PM.
    New to site but have gotten so much information.

My husband and I both got the pre plus from verizon (2/27) and both phones have this problem. I think it must be an issue when I can't even enter an event in the calendar without having to watch and backspace on pretty much every word I type. We went to the store we bought them at and "no known issues" concerning both keyboard double/missing typing and oreo effect. According to them we are just not used to the keyboard yet. Ok, maybe just us - give it another week.

We are both heavy texters and use the phone as mobile offices (email/cal.) He moved from the Treo and is really suffering all his losses. I (as the weaker sex) moved from a moto q and just think the Pre is ohhh - no comparison.

Anyway, we just can't hack it. My husband called verizon cs and was prepared to get down and dirty to get the phones fixed. Well....with his words barely out of his mouth cs states "so sorry, I will send 2 new phone out immediately". Whoa - my husband did not even get to use his prepared "or else" speech. He did ask if there were lots of problems with the Pre Plus and again "no known issues. You are the first complaints logged"

Switched to the new Pre phones (received in 2 days) and what do you know. The two phones are like night and day. No issues at all with the new phones (not recons like we expected but new).

Old phones warranty date 1/7/2010 and new phone date 1/30/2010.

I get giddy each time I slide open the phone when I used to dread having to use the keyboard. But then, every time I use email, text or enter event a wave of guilt floods over me as I think to myself that some of you are still having to deal with this issue.

I hope you all get your issues resolved.

Michelle
    what does oreo mean?
    Thanks for sharing your story, Michelle. I'd be anxious to know if the issue is permanently resolved or if it ccomes bacck for you. Maybe I'll try calling Customer Service tomorrow and see wat they can do. Rigght now the keyboard is borderline intolerable.
    what does oreo mean?
    You can twist the phone side to side like twisting an oreo to get at the creamy center.

They may all move a little bit, but when it gets really loose it is lovingly referred to as "oreo affect".