View Poll Results: Does your Pre Plus double-type letters or miss them entirely, and do you see lag?

Voters
984. You may not vote on this poll
  • Double-letters ONLY.

78 7.93%
  • Missed letters ONLY.

43 4.37%
  • Input lag ONLY.

8 0.81%
  • Double-letters and missed letters, but NO input lag.

183 18.60%
  • Double-letters and input lag, but NO missed letters.

29 2.95%
  • Missed letters and input lag, but NO double-letters.

41 4.17%
  • Double-letters, missed letters, AND input lag.

434 44.11%
  • No typing problems.

168 17.07%
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Another update. This is the response I received by a palm rep on forums.palm.com:

Hello mzlou,

The double tapping has been submitted to the developers. This issue is still being investigated and trying to determine if its a software issue or a hardware issue. If it is, indeed, a software issue, there will be an update to correct the issue. If its a hardware issue, Which I don't believe it is, the device would have to be replaced to resolve the issue.

We appreciate your patience with this issue and hope you understand the fix must be tested thoroughly before it is moved into production and sent out as an update.

Thanks,

Colapop
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    mzlou, thank you for posting ColaPop's reply. It sounds as though Palm and I are on relativly the same page on this, I realize my previous posts makes me sound 100% convinced it's hardware, actually I'm not 100% but my belief that it's hardware does far outweigh any belief it might be software
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Glad to see a response from Palm on this matter. Eagerly awaiting a fix.
    I just discovered, too, that I have no problems since I started pressing harder.
    Last edited by ilovemypreplus; 04/14/2010 at 04:06 PM. Reason: didn't fit into thread where I wanted.
    Double tapping - not always
    Only when I'm drinking. Is there an appppppp for that?
    Man this is starting to really tick me off. Palm fixes the slider, but messes up the keyboard. Sigh...
    Don't get me wrong, I love this phone, it's the best $150 i ever spent (of course it was dropped down to a mere $50 about 2 or 3 weeks after i bought it) but they double keypresses are a pain.
    Personally, after really looking at the problem, I think it's a combination of hardware and software. I noticed that mashing the keys leads to a lot less incidences of double typed letters (for me the r and s keys were the primary culprits). But then I also noticed something while typing gibberish in the email application to see if the problem is completely gone: when pressing some keys I noticed a split second pause followed by rapid letter output that exceeded the number of times I typed on the keys. Did this repeatedly and noticed that whenever that slight pause occurs, I get a doubling or tripling of the character that I had just pressed.

If they fix that slight typing pause in the software, I think many of these issues will go away, especially with newer keyboards and a break-in period.

No matter what, though, the problem (for me at least) hasn't been nearly bad enough for me to give this phone up. I have no issues with anything else, and absolutely love WebOS over BB. My Pre+ also has better sound and call quality than my wife's new Curve 8530 (her keyboard also seems to be a step back from the keyboard on the 8330 - how does that happen?).
    the keyboard annoys me so much that i don't even use it anymore.
    virtual keyboard handles everything now, only time i need the hardware keyboard is for backspace in the webbrowser

i wish they made the slider horizontal, not vertical.
    almost every time I'm typing on a keyboard, i want to see the screen in landscape mode anyway.
    so i just use the virtual keyboard and have everything rotate (via patches for most things)
    I have all of the above. I've returned my pre twice already thinking that it was a hardware issue, but this third pre is still doing it.

Either it's a widespread hardware issue, or it is indeed a software issue (I know.. El Capitan Evidente, right?)

It's soooo frustrating, but at least there is one plus to it. It makes drunk texting damn near impossible!
    I really hate to say this as I've been a Palm user for many years and really like my Pre Plus except for this inexcusable keyboard issue--but--surely it's occurred to most of us that this problem is most likely a hardware problem that Palm cannot admit or fix due to their current meager resources.

I mean if you look at the poll on this thread less than 20% DON'T have the issue. The rest do. Palm has manufactured hundreds of thousands of these Palm Pre Plus' and if only 20 percent of them don't have a keyboard problem and this company is trying to sell all of the remaining inventory just to stay alive, how can they admit or even begin to fix this enormous problem?

So the official answer to all of us is it's software (keeps us hoping) but they haven't ruled out hardware (keeps them from committing to anything that would be financially more harmful and possibly stop future sales and maybe even hinder sale of the company yet keeps them from being accused of dishonesty).

I hate to admit it-but realistically this is a hardware issue that we have a 20 percent chance (at least from this poll) of having resolved with an exchange.

I hope I'm wrong-but hope is starting to wane as more news about Palm's future hits the wires.

In the meantime--we wait--and we do have the backspace key. Been using mine an awful lot on this phone even though sometimes it goes back two or three times when I've only pushed it once and sometimes not at all-heehee.
    Sigh.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    A month and a half after starting this thread, my keyboard issues are resolved. I participated in the research effort by Palm wherein they collected a number of the malfunctioning devices so that the engineers could examine the devices to determine the nature of the problem. Throughout the process my case was handled by Palm's corporate customer relations team, and they are clearly a cut above the average customer service representative The device I have now has a keyboard that works perfectly in every way except for the fact that if I don't pause for a brief instant between entering a comma and a space, the space won't register (a minor problem, to be sure). This device has a warranty date code of 2/5/2010. The feeling of the keyboard is markedly different from that of the original device I purchased, which had a warranty date code of 1/13/2010. The keys have somewhat less travel, but they feel more solid, like they travel in a more strictly vertical path, and they have a more reassuring "clicky" feeling to them. Most importantly, a single click of a key results in a single character entry; I have no double (or more) character entries or missing character entries.

Now that I have hopefully assuaged some fears that the newer phones have the same problem, I thought I would point out some interesting and even amusing things about the process I went through to get the phone I'm using now, especially since my experience with various phones sheds some light on the keyboard issues. The story began with a call from Palm's corporate customer care after I indicated to HardBeatz that I'd like to participate in Palm's device collection. After getting some information from me, a phone was sent right away. When I excitedly received the phone, I discovered that it was not the new phone I was promised, but rather a refurbished device. The warranty date code on this device was less than a week later than the original one. It had a solid slider like my original device, it had very little blotchiness on the screen near the bottom edge, and most importantly the keyboard did not seem to exhibit the double-typing issues. However, the keys were extremely stiff and difficult to depress without significant pressure. I called back the CCR folks and explained the situation. They verified that I should have received a new device and sent another out immediately. This is where things became amusing. I returned from a trip to find the box and gladly opened it. And inside the box were all the accessories and informational pamphlets but NO PHONE! It simply wasn't there. At this point my case had been transferred to the normal customer care department, and upon calling them about the non-existant phone, it took a while on the phone before they realized they couldn't access the records of my case because they were corporate records. Finally I was transferred back to the CCR people, with whom by this time I'm on a first name basis, and they sent me a third shipment. Inside it there really was a phone, and it was a new phone. As I described above, the new phone has an essentially perfect keyboard. The only issues with the new phone is that it has significant blotchiness near the bottom of the screen when I view a light-colored background (especially gray), and the slider is considerably looser than that of the original phone and the refurb.

It's very difficult to generalize based on my experience with three devices, but I would say based on what I have seen that Palm has gone through several iterations of the keyboard during their manufacturing process. The keys on my first device felt very "free" and had a lot of travel, but different keys had a different feel to them. The keys on the refurbished device (with a later manufacturing date) didn't double-type, but they were far stiffer to the point where they were hard to push. The device I have now seems to be the best of both worlds, and it's a pleasure to use.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slats View Post
    I mean if you look at the poll on this thread less than 20% DON'T have the issue. The rest do. Palm has manufactured hundreds of thousands of these Palm Pre Plus' and if only 20 percent of them don't have a keyboard problem and this company is trying to sell all of the remaining inventory just to stay alive, how can they admit or even begin to fix this enormous problem?
    Hi slats,
    You have to realize that the overwhelming majority of people participating in this poll are those who sought out this thread because they have the double-typing issue. When the thread was new there were some people saying they didn't have any keyboard problems, but now that the thread is old I would be willing to bet that the only people continuing to vote are those that have issues. For every problematic keyboard, there may very well be thousands of perfectly fine ones, but the owner's of those keyboards have no reason to look for and vote in this poll.

I got my problematic device replaced, and though it has a looser slider (though no real oreo effect to speak of) and some blotchiness on the bottom of the screen on light-colored backgrounds, the keyboard is perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Donkey View Post
    Hi slats,
    You have to realize that the overwhelming majority of people participating in this poll are those who sought out this thread because they have the double-typing issue. When the thread was new there were some people saying they didn't have any keyboard problems, but now that the thread is old I would be willing to bet that the only people continuing to vote are those that have issues. For every problematic keyboard, there may very well be thousands of perfectly fine ones, but the owner's of those keyboards have no reason to look for and vote in this poll.

I got my problematic device replaced, and though it has a looser slider (though no real oreo effect to speak of) and some blotchiness on the bottom of the screen on light-colored backgrounds, the keyboard is perfect.
    Good to hear from someone that has successfully fixed their problem with a hardware exchange. As a matter of fact the last two posts have indicated that a hardware exchange fixed the problem. Sounds like it is a hardware problem then-most likely.

I guess we must assume that all the posters that have had 2 or 3 exchanges and continue to have the problem are the 'squeaky wheels' and not the majority? In other words, they are just the unlucky ones and therefore they come back to the forums while the majority of folks that have exchanged their Pre Plus' have had the issue resolved and never come in here to comment?

I really hope you are right. One of the biggest threads over at the Palm Support Hardware forum involves this issue with many/some of the 'squeaky wheels' saying that they are on their second or third Pre Plus' also with this issue continuing.

I guess I keep hoping to hear from Palm that the hardware issue has been identified and has now been resolved. That would make it worthwhile to take this phone back and exchange it for a refurb (since its' beyond 30 days). But--we get silence from Palm with a hint of a possible software fix--which doesn't match what you fellas are saying since a hardware exchange finally solved the problem. Of course they don't rule out hardware but it's still kind of classified in the area of 'trying to identify if it's hardware'.

Oh well--life is too short to really worry about this sort of thing. I really like my phone-but-it is only a phone after all. So--I'll just keep waiting to hear if Palm ever comes out with a firm fix before I bother going through the hassle of an exchange for a refurb.

I always have the backspace key!
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slats View Post
    I guess I keep hoping to hear from Palm that the hardware issue has been identified and has now been resolved. That would make it worthwhile to take this phone back and exchange it for a refurb (since its' beyond 30 days). But--we get silence from Palm with a hint of a possible software fix--which doesn't match what you fellas are saying since a hardware exchange finally solved the problem. Of course they don't rule out hardware but it's still kind of classified in the area of 'trying to identify if it's hardware'.
    I'm guessing that Palm doesn't want to say anything official one way or the other about the Pre Plus keyboard issue because letting the whole world know about the problem would, in the end, be more costly to them than continuing to ignore a relatively small (hopefully) number of people who are having issues. It looks like a cold-blooded business decision to me.

Regarding the nature of the problem, I personally think that it is a hardware problem with a possible software workaround. I think the hardware issue is that some of the keys get hung up while they try to come back up after being pressed. As a number of people have said, this problem could likely be alleviated by introducing a software patch that puts a short hold on repeated characters after the first one is entered. The probable issue with that type of fix is finding the fine line between two much and too little delay. You don't want characters repeating unintentionally, but you also don't want to have to wait an annoying amount of time before you can enter the second "n" in "annoying".

I think it's clear that it's not a software-only issue because the problem is inconsistent across devices running the exact same software. I would actually love to tear apart my first Pre that I sent back to Palm so I could see how the keyboard works internally and figure out what the problem was. But I guess that's their job!
    so what if I take it back and the second one is no good and I'm past the 30 day mark? Right now I'm inside of it. My problem is minor double typing but major missing letters.
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by linkboom View Post
    so what if I take it back and the second one is no good and I'm past the 30 day mark? Right now I'm inside of it. My problem is minor double typing but major missing letters.
    Well, I guess the same thing will happen that's going to happen if you hang onto your current device past the 30 day mark! If you can, go to a store so you can physically try the new phone before taking it home. That way you'll have a pretty good idea of how it's going to behave. If you have to go through the mail then you're taking your chances a bit more, but I think you still have the possibility of getting a refurb after the 30 days are up if the new one is also no good.
    thanks for the reply...i came from owning a pearl, which we all know how difficult the keyboard on it is. I just figured I could deal with pre's keyboard problems but reading all these posts I want to get it back before the 30 day mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by linkboom View Post
    thanks for the reply...i came from owning a pearl, which we all know how difficult the keyboard on it is. I just figured I could deal with pre's keyboard problems but reading all these posts I want to get it back before the 30 day mark.
    I would definitely bring it back and swap. You might get lucky and get a later manufactured Pre without the issue. But be careful: Verizon seems to think it's a software issue and might give you a hard time. My local Verizon refuses to let me swap out, even after I brought my chat transcript with a Palm rep authorizing me to get a new one, because they think it will be fixed with the next update (or they are tired of losing money since this would be my 4th Pre w/n my 30 days). It's a shame because I also think it's a hardware issue (my warranty code is from 1/13/2010), and I just want a Pre that isn't plagued with the keyboard issue, but it looks like that isn't going to happen. I'm not even excited about switching to the Incredible (especially with the $200+ price tag), but Verizon leaves me with no choice!
    took my phone to verizon today and they would not replace it. I was unable to get my phone to mess up while standing there. They said it was me texting to fast. Oh well...im going to the next city over and try there.